Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 209 total)
  • George Monbiot on nuclear
  • binners

If you think we can continue consuming electricity at the present rate, in this country without using nuclear power, you’re living in cloud cuckoo-land.

I just loved Angela Merkin’s recent posturing with the ‘Germany will be a nuclear fee country!’ announcement. Cue much rejoicing from not-very-bright environmental types, who forgot to read the small print

* We’ll continue to use electricity generated in nuclear power stations, of course. We’ll simply be out-sourcing the whole messy business outside our borders

Anyway Uncle Jezza – I reckon this is a pesky Scottish plot! You’ll scupper our nuclear power stations, then vote for independence, turn the entire of th highlands into a great big, **** off wind-farm, then sell all the power to us South of the border. MUHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

I’m right aren’t I?

molgrips
    Free Member

may well turn out to be a dead end – which I believe it will be

Hm.. you seem to know precisely naff all about the science behind it though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Not producing electricity. Its never been done to have a fast breeder reactor that is stable and produces any meaningful amount of electricity. I personally don’t believe it is feasable. ( as far as I am aware)

donsimon
    Free Member

Doesn’t the article say it’s already been running in Russia for 30 years? Hardly experimantal.

You must know the rules by now, if TJ can’t see, experience or taste it, it doesn’t exist. And if you can’t see, experience or taste, you have no right to an opinion.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You must know the rules by now, if TJ can’t see, experience or taste it, it doesn’t exist. And if you can’t see, experience or taste, disagree with his omniscience you have no right to an opinion.

FTFY 😈

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Binners more or less yes. Be tidaland wave mainly tho

Molgrips – many decades of research and previous attempts to make fast breeder tech work have failed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superph%C3%A9nix

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – how about something positive? any examples of this sort of tech ever working anywhere for example?

Will someone tell me where the fast breeder that is stable and produces electricity on a commercial scale is? Yo all claim its possible – lets see some links to it.

molgrips
    Free Member

See the title of the article:

“We need to talk about nuclear”

I believe it has to be part of the solution one way or the other. I don’t believe renewables can meet our needs even with the vast reduction in consumption we clearly need.

This particular reactor design may never have been done, but that seems to be because Congress shut the experiment down. The Wiki article says that the Integral Fast Reactor (IFR) is a favoured option:

In 2001, as part of the Generation IV roadmap, the DOE tasked a 242 person team of scientists from DOE, UC Berkeley, MIT, Stanford, ANL, LLNL, Toshiba, Westinghouse, Duke, EPRI, and other institutions to evaluate 19 of the best reactor designs on 27 different criteria. The IFR ranked #1 in their study which was released April 9, 2002

Again we’re down to TJ versus scientists 🙂

any examples of this sort of tech ever working anywhere for example?

Eh? So the fact that it’s never been done means we should never try it? Good one.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Not producing electricity. Its never been done to have a fast breeder reactor that is stable and produces any meaningful amount of electricity. I personally don’t believe it is feasable. ( as far as I am aware)

This is an IFR, different. Bit like chalk and cheese both being good sources of calcuim.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So where was it built them molgrips – how much electricity has it produced?

Torminalis
    Free Member

TJ versus scientists

Good job the scientists don’t give two hoots what TJ has to say.

binners

Be tidal and wave mainly tho

You can’t do that! That technology isn’t sufficiently developed yet. So therefore, using your own argument, it will NEVER work 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Massive building programme for up-to-date Nuclear power stations, please. Quick as possible.

Then we can at least get rid of all those stupid, useless windmills cluttering up the countryside. 🙄

PJM1974
    Free Member

Thanks TJ – what’s your basis for believing that thorium reactors will prove to be a dead end? The physics is proven and it’s not a complex engineering task as is the case with fusion.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So an experimental tech that has never been built anywhere in the world is the future of electricity supplies in the Uk and can be built in 5 years

Riiiiiiiiiiight

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

PJM1974

Cost and waste

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Binners – tidal and wave is in place and working right now

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Not allowed to put that in that tags any more, so I’ll just leave it here.

Don’t be silly

binners

Ah. Only it says on Wiki about Scottish Wave Power – “Various systems are under development at present aimed at harnessing the enormous potential available for wave power off Scotland’s coasts.”

And about Scottish tidal – “Unlike wind and wave, tidal power is an inherently predictable source. However the technology is in its infancy and numerous devices are in the prototype stages.”

So,its not really is it 😛

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Give me one example of a wave powered power station in the UK that actualy works?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

not silly, Charlie, just that I got a warning from teh Modz, so I just leave it in threads instead now. To act as a warning to those who don’t want to get dragged in to yet another thread like this.

Oh. Damn. I’ve been dragged in myself….. Oh, teh ironing! 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Binners – yes it is. tidal has been used experimentally for years, the first ( of many planned and ordered) large scale generator went in of the scottish coast this summer. Wave generators have been running off the coast of Portugal for years. I am not sure if they got any installed this year off the scottish coast.

Torminalis
    Free Member

ahwiles
    Free Member

here’s what we’re going to do – we’re going to build a load of new generation ‘traditional’ reactors.

and we’re going to bury the waste that we can’t use anywhere else in a great big hole in the ground.

that IS what we’re going to do, we’ve already started. everything will be fine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So – still awaiting an example of this fast breeder tech ever producing stable commercial quantities of electricity.

treat it as an experiment – fine. Believe that in 5 years a plant can be built that will produce commercial quantities of electricty – be very sceptical indeed

donsimon
    Free Member

Won’t somebody please think of the fishes!! Some of them are child fishes for god’s sake… They might even have pet robins.

glenh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I personally don’t believe it is feasable. ( as far as I am aware)

Based on what? Your degree in nuclear physics? Your years of experience in the industry? Is it possible that your beliefs are, errrm…wrong?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Torminalis

Lets see some evidence that this can work.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    thisisnotaspoon

http://www.pelamiswave.com/our-projects/e-on-at-emec

Electricity generation peaked at over 300kW

Great, it can run the kettles in a small village during the corrie ad break. Best hope they don’t do the ironing at the same time.

binners

http://www.pelamiswave.com/our-projects/e-on-at-emec

Capacity: 0.75 MW

http://www.pelamiswave.com/our-projects/agucadoura

Capacity: 20 MW

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Our energy problems are solved!!!!!! 😀

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Glenh – it has never been done and the many attempts have been made to make it work over many decades have always failed.

I am still awaiting for some actual evidence that it can work?

molgrips
    Free Member

Believe that in 5 years a plant can be built that will produce commercial quantities of electricty – be very sceptical indeed

What knowledge are you basing this on? Apart from general scepticism?

Do you know some detail about this specific design that leads you down this course?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Binners that’s capacity, the first ome manages 170kw over a 30minute time period, assuming theres waves.

If only there was a low carbon, reliable, continuous source of electricity we could harness…………

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Electricity generating plants using proven and known tech take more than 5 years build. An experimental plant the like of which has never been built before can be built in under 5 years?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

From TJ’s wiki aticle of an experimental reacotr not really working;

the plant spent 63 months of normal operations, mostly at low power; 25 months of outages due to fixing technical problems of the prototype; and 66 months were spent on halt due to political and administrative issues.[2

Sounds like a ST ride? 40% of the time riding (slowly) , 20% faffing, 40% argueing with TJ.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Lets see some evidence that this can work.

If it far more fun to heckle from the sidelines that for two people who know sweet FA about nuclear reactors to start getting all heated and google warriory. There is simply no point.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon -how much elcricity has been generated by this IFR tech? nore or less than by wave and tidal.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

~Torminalis – so you actually have no evidence then?

I am being slagged off bigstyle here but al I see is hot air and bluster from the pro nukes -not a single realistic answer.

Wiredchops
    Free Member

Typical STW argument, everyone’s at cross purposes! Monbiot’s original claim we’ll have these power stations running our hot tubs in five years is misguided. That this technology may someday provide energy for our needs is possible and worth investing in. TJ STOP ARGUING OVER THIS POINT EVERYONE AGREES! Really, arguing for argument’s sake!
    It sounds like a worthy aim for nuclear research, let’s go for it. Fair enough, the nuclear lobby are all naughty bad men, but from what I experience, a lot of the green lobby seem like massive cocks too…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 209 total)

The topic ‘George Monbiot on nuclear’ is closed to new replies.