• This topic has 36 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Genesis Bikes anyone got one what do they think?
  • lancslad
    Free Member

Hi guys posted a thread about what length travel forks i need, and after ideas looking at getting a Genesis Core and wondered if anyone had one and what they think of them?

khegs
    Free Member

A colleague has a core 30 and he loves it, the frame is pretty good on the cores too, so it’s a decent bike for upgrading in future.

Of course everyone loves the bike they paid for, but it looks pretty well sorted for uk riding.

locomotive

A couple of years ago I bought the base version as a 2nd bike. I love it, although Ive since swapped the forks for some cheap RS recons. The geometry/sizing seems to suit me perfectly.

If I knew how much Id end up riding it however I would definately of gone for one a couple of models higher up the range.

takisawa2

Mate ran an IO ss for a few years. Was excellent. Not much dearer than an On-One but much better finished. And I like On-Ones.

mattrgee
    Free Member

Got my Core 30 in February, love it. Rides great, fits great, and the misses has just bought a Core 20 having tried mine. They are also understated, which I like. No stupid Cube style decals etc, just a well thought out frame. The Core’s share the same frame throughout the range, so you’re getting the same frame as the Core 50 which has received various ‘hardcore hardtail’ awards over the last couple of years.

mboy
    Free Member

Few threads about Genesis the last few days, worthwhile just doing a quick search.

But in summary, the Core’s are excellent bikes. Don’t know a single unhappy Genesis owner, and if you google “Genesis Core review” you’ll just get loads of glowing feedback, mainly 4.5/5 reviews on bikeradar, but also from elsewhere too.

Great bikes, my Altitude (same geometry as the Core) is the best hardtail I’ve ever owned in all honesty…

AlasdairMc

I like my Altitude too – got a 10 from 2010 and it’s done a lot. Very comfy ride but not sluggish.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Got a core 26.5 which I’ve had since January, great combo of chuckable and comfortable and has become my first choice for 90% of my riding. Really good general use bike.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Oh and I have an Equilibrium too, that’s also very nice.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Make sure you dont touch the paint cos it’ll fall off if you do.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I sell them , and I like them, esp the drop bar stuff.

dawson

I’ve got a Latitude 00 and very pleased with it

bruk

Have a great 2008 Core 20. Forks are a bit borked now and been kind of looking for some 120mm forks to replace the standard 100mm ones as I remember reading some reviews suggesting that it ran nicely with them.

Having a toddler and on call duties means I haven’t ridden it as much recently and I have just bought a Whyte Kings Cross cross/commuter thing to ride from the door. Great fun but I still prefer the Core.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I had an io, really nice bike to ride and very well finished. Always liked the look of most of their stuff tbh, they’re one of those companies I just seem to like.

letmetalktomark

My i0 drop bar commuter thingy.

Not light but feels lighter once going.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Happy IOID owner here

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Love my 10 SS-the bike i ride most-nice forgiving frame for the money.

tomaso
    Free Member

The ultra basic coil Tora’s on my wifes 16 inch Genesis Core do a grand job and have put up with a fair bit of abuse when I’ve been without bike. Last big ride I did was round Elterwater and the bike surprised me as to how capable it was and how much the basic workmanlike forks could handle with a big chap like me on board.

lancslad
    Free Member

Thanks guys Thinnking its now between Genesis Core 26.3 and On-one 456Evo or if i can stretch the budget Genesis Core 26.4, Saracen Zen X, Ragley Piglet and Boardman HT Pro

IHN

My mate’s well happy with his Altitude, I may be getting one myself.

cynic-al – YGM, I may be after a favour, pretty please 🙂

JPR
    Free Member

I’ve had a 2009 core 20 for the last few years and it’s been great. At the time it was definitely the best value for money I could find.

Although over time I did find the frame to be a bit on the short side for me so I’ve just changed to a 456 frame instead.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have an io and have had for around 3 years, its a great bike IMHO.

verses

I’ve got an 853 Altitude I bought 2nd hand (frame only).

Love it 🙂

belugabob
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2008 Altitude 00, with Tora 289 coil forks.
    It was my first mountain bike, and I absolutley love it.
    It’s been on singlespeed duties since I built my 29er last summer, but it still gets taken out for mid-week local rides.
    It’s going to get powder coated soon, as the paintowrk has taken a fair bit of abuse, and it’s my 50th this year, so I’m going to treat it (and me)

gazc
    Free Member

got a latitude recently and really like it. slightly shorter in the top tube than my old soul/voodoo wanga. got rack mounts too which i need for touring so perfect hardtail frame for me

motivforz
    Free Member

I’ve had an IO for 2 years and love it. The brown is a great practical colour, but aesthetically hideous, so I may get it repainted after I’ve scratched it up a bit more. They were extremely helpful on the phone too even though I’m not the original owner.

muckytee
    Free Member

only the core 26.5 and 26.4 have tapered headsets and fork, the others are standard 1 1\8 I believe.

I own a 2011 core 40, paint is rubbish. Components aren’t great but nobodies are at that price. Headsets on them use caged bearings so make sure there is plenty of water proof grease in there. Having said all that the frame itself just feels right, if I see anything I ride it, always feels sure footed and fast. I run mine as a singlespeed with coil recons weighs 11.3kg. I would try to get the 26.5 much better brakes and fork, failing that the 26.4 or the OnOne 456evo

lancslad
    Free Member

Would love a 26.5 but not sure i can afford, depends on how much i get from my claim i just feel when you start to spend that sort of money would you not be better looking at a full sus

headpotdog
    Free Member

Another happy Altitude owner here!! Loads of fun. Love it 😀

petestuart
    Free Member

Core 40 here. Love love love it. My favourite ride. Also have an iO which is a lovely bike too. Friend has a Aether, which is a great cheap roadie. Really rate Genesis.

gordy90lpg
    Free Member

I have a core 40 , done 800 miles since January , great handling bike for the money , only problem I have had was the front wheel bearing seized solid and cost me a new hub 🙁 and bottom bracket went but that was done under warranty 🙂 , to be fair almost all the miles were done in single track hill work , and as per above paints soft and components could be better , would I buy a new one ? Yeah probably !

nickegg
    Free Member

Love my 2012 Alpitude. Actually my second Alpitude. Had an early example but the paint was terrible and eventually sold that to briefly return to a full-sus. Come the time to get another hardtail it was straight back to another Alpitude.

Only complaint is that it won’t take a Reverb…..otherwise i find it faultless.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

Had a latitude for over a year and think its great. It’s a keeper!

RDL-82
    Free Member

Have an 09 IO thats out lived 3 seperate other bike builds, its just the bike that gives me the most satisfaction…just treated myself to a Reba for it so hoping its even more grin inducing.
    Also Genesis are very helpful with any queries etc, would not hesitate to buy another <longing for Grapil details to emerge>

mboy
    Free Member

Here’s a pic of my Ti Altitude as it is currently…

It’s been an absolute “triggers broom” of a bike, in that nothing on it (save for the headset spacers I think) is original, I have changed and upgraded parts (including the frame from an 853 to the Ti version) as I’ve gone along.

Love it, don’t think there’s anything out there I’d really swap it for. To anyone that thinks you need long travel forks (ie. longer than 120mm) or a super slack head angle on a hardtail, just have a go on a Genesis (or for that matter a Cotic Soul) with a 120mm fork and see just how capable it is. It’s 99% the rider, 1% the bike… But that said, my 1% is about the best 1% I can think of in a hardtail for my needs. It’s about 25lb as pictured above (well it’s 25lb with clipless pedals, probably more like 26 with those Easton Flatboys), so it goes uphill alright, and it’s both confidence inspiring and yet ridiculously playful and fun on the downs. It makes every ride fun, which is exactly how it should be!

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

mboy, your saddle is too low, or you have the wrong frame size… 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Well spotted Boz! Dropped out of the way for final descent on the last ride I did. Forgot to put it back up to “normal” ride height.

Frame is definitely the right size… 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Bikes anyone got one what do they think?’ is closed to new replies.