Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Gear ratios for steep peak district?
  • mrkbutty

Hi, I’m looking for a little advice on gear ratios;
    Currently I’m on the standard 11-32 with 22:32:44 chainring, but with a view to going dual+bash and reducing granny suck I’m thinking of going 11-34 with a 24:36 chainring.

I have rarely if ever used the 32+22 and I’ve run my proposed through a ratio calc and it looks okay, anyone have experience?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I used to ride 26/36 with an 11-32 cassette in’t peak and anyone who knows me will testify i have (at best) chicken legs but can climb pretty well. Suck it and see

funkynick

Why would going to dual and bash help with chain suck in the granny ring? Unless you are planning on shifting the line of your chainset you’ll have exactly the same situation, in fact, possibly a worse one if you are increasing the size of the granny ring…

Apart from that, the gearing will be fine for Peak Districty type stuff…

jcromton
    Free Member

24:36 chainrings is a great combination. Been like that for a while now and never been upset by it at all. Apart from all the chain suck.

Pieface

Racing_Ralph can’t ride uphill for toffee

mrkbutty

I understand that the increased forces on smaller rings can increase the chance of chain suck. In my case this always and only happens eventually on the granny, to be fair once components are worn. However I must say it has been consistent to the point where it has always occured at the same point on some of my local rides last year and this, a quick clean and I’m off again.

Weird I know. I think it must be down to the chainline on my Marin but believe increasing the size of the granny may help. In any case it’s not my main reason for change.

Thanks for the answers – useful, I’ll be trying 24+36.

thepodge
    Free Member

why do you all use the granny ring, I’ve never used it on a peak district ride

racing_ralph
    Free Member

road rides don’t count dumbass

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Gear ratios for steep peak district?’ is closed to new replies.