Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • gear jumping each time the rear fork works
  • Gilles

Hi,

I'm having mechanical problems every week end so far. It all started with a jockey wheel dying, bottom bracket shell thread worn out, micro thorn in front tyre I can't find, rear mech hanger broken (and phone to girlfriend to take me back home),etc… Now my rear gear don't stay in place each time my rear fork is compressing. Is it a worn out cassette? faulty rear derailleur? gear cable to tight? worn out/fed up rider? I did change my rear derailleur from pull up to pull down 1 year ago, because I prefer it that way, and I didn't have any problem at that time.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Iz ur bike Saricin?

bassspine
    Free Member

how long ago did you last replace the gear cable outer?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

WTF. your is saricin rider

clubber
    Free Member

Rear fork = rear suspension?

I did change my rear derailleur from pull up to pull down

don't know what that means

most likely case though is a gear cable too tight as you suggested and getting pulled as the suspension compresses.

Karinofnine

Agree with Clubber. I met a bloke with the same problem. He had shortened the cable and outer, so every time the suspension moved, it pulled the cable and the gears jumped.

DrP

I did change my rear derailleur from pull up to pull down 1 year ago, because I prefer it that way..

I made a similar change to my underwear…

In all seriousness, it may be worth while checking the chain length to see if suspension compression lengthens or shortens it – possibly a worn rear mech spring meaning it falls off every time the chain lengthens?

DrP

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

He switched to rapid rise/from it

Gilles

Yes I mean rear suspension, and when I pull the cable, I'm shifting in lower gear (pull down? I guess I just made up the term).

Just as well I'm not trying to sell it on ebay. Thanks for all your helps. I'll try to play with the gear cable then. (bike -> Santacruz SL)

mollyiom
    Free Member

Would suggest that the rear mech outer fitted to tight and no slack to allow for rear travel.

firestarter
    Free Member

i had this problem i changed the rear gear inner and outer and it sorted it mate

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘gear jumping each time the rear fork works’ is closed to new replies.