Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Gary Fisher got married
  • RepackRider
    Free Member

Not for the first time, but probably the best party of any of his weddings.

The bride is Alexis Zaphiris, a physician M.D., also a resident of San Francisco. The wedding took place in a Greek Orthodox Church, and the entire wedding party then cycled six miles to the reception, held at the Cliff House overlooking Ocean Beach.

The bride and groom and the parents of each rode in “pedicabs” from a local rental company. Gary wore top hat and tails, which is a little less extreme than his normal daily garb.

I drove two of my friends and our bikes to the reception area and then we rode to the wedding. That meant we wore our riding clothes in the church, which may have looked stupid, but when men in tuxedos took to bicycles, they looked even stupider. (When my “Retrobike.co.uk” jersey turned up in a flickr video of the event, the people at that website went bonkers.)

The ceremony in the church took approximately an hour longer than my own 3-minute civil wedding 25 years ago. Afterward bikes were supplied to those who needed them, including electric-assist bikes for any who wanted one. I rode my own, since it is a Gary Fisher and that seemed appropriate.

Although the ride was not far, it took about three hours, including a one-hour stop in Golden Gate Park for photos, burritos and champagne. We were admonished that it was not a race, and that the caravan of 100+ riders would stay behind the newlyweds. The route was hardly direct, and included a lap of the concourse at Golden Gate Park to the total bemusement of spectators.

The parade stretched along about two city blocks and took three or four minutes to pass at pedicab speeds. When we crossed major traffic arteries, outriders took up positions blocking the street while we passed, holding signs that read, “Gary and Alex, Just Married.” Drivers did not seem perturbed by the delay, and many smiled and waved encouragement.

When we reached the shore, we found a vicious wind blowing sand at paint-removing velocity, which precluded photos of the couple strolling on the absolutely deserted beach.

Because I had left my vehicle there, I was able to change into more suitable attire for the dinner, and my wife, who did not care to take the bike ride, joined us. Our table was designated “Smoker’s Knoll,” an in-joke referring to a well known hilltop on a popular Marin County trail. Others seated with us included the Grateful Dead manager and the Gary Fisher product manager and his family. Guest favors were trouser-cuff bands with the couple’s name and the date.

Ten hours into the event, it was still going on, but I was going home. The wedding made the society pages of the local newspaper today. If the link is correct, the article will go online about eight hours after I post this.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Sounds like a good do.

Congratulations to Gary and Alexis, hope they have a long and happy time together.

theotherjonv

Well done Gary and Alexis.

Gary wore top hat and tails, which is a little less extreme than his normal daily garb.

LOL

skiboy
    Free Member

all the best to the happy couple and top marks on the reporting, 😆

Raindog
    Free Member

Thanks for posting,good luck to the happy couple

allthepies
    Free Member

Awesome!

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sounds fantastic!

martinxyz
    Free Member

Nice one.I just hope he can still sprout some genesis body geometry for the honeymoon!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Brilliant! 8) Congrats to the happy couple!

Bunnyhop

Nice pictures.

However it could have been me! At the then named redbull mountain mayhem back in 2001, I was racing in an all girls team, but with several mechanical problems on the course, lovely Gary asked me if I needed help, sadly I turned his kind offer down, you never know it could have been the start of…..

Congratulations to the couple, hope they will be as happy the the present mr and mrs bunnyhop are (mad cycling couple too).

Harry_the_Spider

I met him at Mayhem ’03. A missed opportunity for the pair of us. 😯

King-ocelot
    Free Member

OP are you one of the original Repackers???

Congratulations to Mr and Mrs Fisher

miketually
    Free Member

Excellent 🙂

scaredypants

I’ve never flirted with Gary (or even Harry) at a bike event 🙁

He doesn’t know what he’s missing

Still, congratulations to him all the same

miketually
    Free Member

OP are you one of the original Repackers???

Click on his name 🙂

Bunnyhop

Yep he’s definitely one of the origionals.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks Mike!

Is he back from honeymoon yet ?
    It’s just that I emailed him a week ago about one of his frames I bought which broke after only 7 months use and I haven’t had a reply yet.

BoardinBob

😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Gary Fisher got married’ is closed to new replies.