• This topic has 17 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Rik.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Garmin Edge 800 with Tracklogs or BaseCamp?
  • Rik
    Free Member

Just about to get an Edge 800 but I have a few questions about designing and uploading routes.
    Im getting the Trail version with full O/S maps.

Can I use Tracklogs to design and upload routes (it’s a very old version that I don’t think it uses gpx files but works fine with my Garmin Etrex etc)

If not does the included BaseCamp software show roads (for roadie rides) and o/s maps for bridleways etc for route design and upload.

If not what do other people use?

Do you get turn by turn navigation using the O/S if on/off road

Thanks in advance.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I’d just use a free online one: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php

Rik
    Free Member

Is that because BaseCamp is naff?

Do you get turn by turn navigation using the O/S maps?

Janesy
    Free Member

with routes you get turn navigation. with tracks you dont.

or have I got that wrong? I just turn navigation off as follow an easy to see red line.

3bikeman
    Free Member

I use tracklogs – have a version 1 which I updated to version 2 from the website and also a version 3 for some parts of the country – all seems to work fine.
    Tried Base camp but didnt find it very userfriendly, so dont use it although I do upload to Garmin to keep a track of distance/time/calories etc which is good – I was used to tracklogs and the OS maps so stayed with it.
    My son uses Memory map and sometimes emails me routes which I download to the Garmin.
    I like the 800 good battery life – small screen makes reading the map sometimes difficult.

fbk
    Free Member

I love my Edge but have yet to find a mapping site or any software that integrates properly with it (as in connect the unit and get tracks straight off it).

I’ve got full UK MemoryMap but they seem reluctant to upgrade their software and are astonishingly vague when asked if it’s ever going to happen.

andyfla
    Free Member

I use Walk Highlandsbut it looks very similar to bikehike.

Very good though – you need to register to get access to 1:25000 maps

jasonm945
    Free Member

Just use gpsbabel to change the trl (tracklogs files) to gpx.

buffalobill
    Free Member

Its quite straightforward to save tracklogs files as a gpx and copy across. Courses however, don’t seem to transfer as well.

There’s been a recent update to garmin connect so you can create courses directly on there which seems to be the easiest way if you want a road-based route.

foxyrider
    Free Member

What I do is to map the route (however you want to do it) – save to GPX – import it into TCX convertor. Save as TCX file and it asks you if you want to save it as a course file – say yes.

Open Training Centre – import course, then sync 🙂

Rik
    Free Member

Ah good so I can continue with tracklogs version 1 which I have been using for years and know well and just convert the file to gpx and upload.

What’s TCX?

What’s the difference between a route and a course?
    I just draw the route outline on tracklogs (off and on road) and save with an appropriate name?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Long storey Rik 🙂

Basically a route used built in navigation i.e. turn left and right to Next way point – a course is just a line you follow 🙂

I just use a course file off road. Many way around it really.

TCX ad GPX are very similar file types – what will ruin your noddle is that the 800 records natively in FIT files 😉

You might want to read this:

Dummies Guide to the Garmin Edge 800

The other thing is to export as GPX and upload to connect.garmin.com and then you can download it as a TCX course file automatically without TCX convertor 🙂

Rik
    Free Member

Wow this gets complex.

So do in Tracklogs save as .trl file – convert to gpx (hopefully a quick job) up load to gamin connect (which stores it for future use anyway) then upload to the Edge 800.

Does the TCX converter do .trl files to TCX missing out the gpx step?

Thinking i need to read the dummies guide. Hopefully all these steps will be easier and fast in practice.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I am sure there are other ways but this works for me 🙂

I dont think TCX convertor will convert trl to TCX routes directly 🙁

Yes just click send to device in garmin connect with your 800 plugged in (as long as you have the garmin communicator plugin installed (it will tell you if not)) and it will send the course file to your device 🙂 Then scroll to courses (once unplugged) on your 800 and select it and press Go 🙂

However if you want to you can create a course directly in garmin and then upload it to your 800?

http://connect.garmin.com/course/create

Rik
    Free Member

Thanks think that makes sense.

Just need the Garmin to arrive now.

foxyrider
    Free Member

You CANT upload a course file to Garmin – you have to save it like a track log if that makes sense?

Rik
    Free Member

Just tried to us GPS Babel to convert a .trl file to GPX and its coming up with an error code:

Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsucessfully with code 1

Any ideas?
    Or am I using it wrong

Select – Alan Maps 500 (tracklogs) .trl
    Upload file

Select – GPX XML
    Input new file name/location

Select apply

and the error message comes up???

Rik
    Free Member

Sorry me just being thick and not picking the ride option D’oh!

It seems to have a .trl – TCX convertor direct too

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 800 with Tracklogs or BaseCamp?’ is closed to new replies.