Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Fussy Eaters – Help Needed
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

OK, against better judgement, I’ve found myself in a situation where i need to cook for a vegetarian.

Any advice on what I should cook that will impress but is simple?

A lifetime of building meals centred around dead animals has left me ill-equipped for this challenge.

She’s not vegan and eats fish if that helps…

Thanks in advance, with STW’s help, I should be able to nail this girl challenge. 😉

wwaswas

eats fish if that helps

It doesn’t help the fish 😉

maybe a nice Tuna steak where you’d have had a pork chop, then?

Klunk
    Free Member

meatless spag bol is pretty nice.

Lucas
    Free Member

I’m not keen on Fish – people are always telling me it tastes like chicken…so just give her chicken and tell her it’s fish!

Cougar

She’s not vegan and eats fish if that helps…

She’s not vegetarian either, then. Or a “fussy eater” for that matter.

What would you cook if meat was an option? There’s usually equivalents.

How does soup grab you? My Thai Chickenless Noodle Soup is tremendous.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

How the heck does fish taste like chicken?? Thanks for the suggestions so far, but this meal has to impress…

Not sure spag bol would wow her socks off, never mind anything else!

And cougar, soup is a drink, not a meal… 😉

toys19
    Free Member

rattatattatttouilllee? Mussels and chips?

alfabus
    Free Member

Sweet potato curry.

end of thread.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Im not a veggie but I have been know to cook a very nice veggie lasagne. Will look for recipe now.

Edit: Its been a while but I think this is it. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/11954/ricotta-and-spinach-lasagne

Cougar

You’ve been eating the wrong soup.

Ok then. Sunday lunch. Use a Quorn roast instead of meat. Everything else is either veggie already or can be made so.

philconsequence
    Free Member

jacket potato, beans and cheese.

served naked with some melted butter dripping down ‘little shibby’ as you say in your sexiest voice “are you sure you dont eat meat?”

if that doesnt do the job, have you heard about my budgie the little helicopter trick?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Phil, that’s twice you’ve made reference to Little Shibby… Would you like to join us? haha

Klunk
    Free Member

Not sure spag bol would wow her socks off, never mind anything else!

just use one of the fancier pastas 😉

chvck
    Free Member

Curry, lasagne, chilli etc.. Just sub out the meat bits and use loads of veggies and maybe some beans/pulses.

alfabus
    Free Member

although personally I’d prefer a mountain of rice to go with it.

does she eat shellfish? Stick some tiger prawns in there for a bit of token dead flesh (very impressive looking too)

edit: mmmm:

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Hope you can cure her of this appalling ailment….

organic355
    Free Member

The ultimate winter coucous

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/feb/16/foodanddrink.recipe

had it last week and its delicious!!!!

alfabus
    Free Member

i’m starving now… and i’m not even a veggie!

sharkbait
    Free Member

Risotto with smoked haddock, a few king prawns and a poached egg on top. Easy to do (but watch your timing), beautifully tasty. Serve with a nice bottle of white and you’re guaranteed a shag happy diner.
    The problem is what do you cook her next time!

Klunk
    Free Member

maybe you should have offered to make her breakfast first 😀

emsz
    Free Member

Fussy eater? 🙄

make a simple ragu: gently fry a diced onion and a diced garlic clove in oil DON’T BURN THE GARLIC add tin of tomatoes, oregano, basil, veg stock cube* some worcester sauce and a splurge of puree, red wine if you want, reduce.

brown off some sliced aubergine under the grill. (leave the skin on)

place it all in a baking tin, in layers like a lasagne and cover with grated mozzarella, at about 130-150 for 20 mins or so, or until the cheese is browned nicely, serve with simple salad and a nice Italian bread

*some veg stock cubes have chicken in them! be careful.

edit: be careful not to add too much salt, stock cube should be enough, but black pepper to season, if it’s a bit bitter, add some sugar to the ragu (not too much though)

chvck
    Free Member

That sounds ace emsz!

emsz
    Free Member

Ta,

Her knickers will fall off, trust me. 😈

Shibboleth
    Free Member

There speaks the voice of experience… Thanks Emsz!

Vis à vis the chicken in stock cubes… Can they tell if you don’t tell them??

And Organic355, that coucous sounds awesome… That’s been printed off. 🙂

brassneck

She’s not veggie, just weak 🙂

Check if she likes cheese, let me make this quite clear NOT ALL VEGGIES LIVE EXCLUSIVELY ON CHEESE!!!

I’d go for a sweet potato, mango and chickpea curry I got from an Oxfam cookery book (stereotypes ahoy!), with some decent well cooked rice and a nice naan. Pull the stops out for desert, real ladies love desert 🙂

brassneck

Yes, a day later when I have ‘looseness’.

iDave
    Free Member

would she classify freshly clubbed baby seal as ‘kind of fish’?

emsz
    Free Member

No, I used chicken-y stock cubes for ages until I found out!!

brassneck I know that curry recipe!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Maybe I should just wean her back onto it… I’ll have her eating meat by the end of the night. 😉

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I read emsz post in my head and it turned into a Marks & Spenser advert. I could visialse the cooking being narrated by a smooth talking celeb, I’m hungry again now it sounds delicious and I’ve only just had lunch.

Cougar

If you do, I hope she finds out.

NOT ALL VEGGIES LIVE EXCLUSIVELY ON CHEESE!!!

Amen, brother. I can’t eat cheese, and finding a restaurant that does even one vegetarian meal that isn’t cheese-based is remarkably difficult.

grum
    Free Member

Check if she likes cheese, let me make this quite clear NOT ALL VEGGIES LIVE EXCLUSIVELY ON CHEESE!!!

Really? Whenever you go to a restaurant the veggie options almost always involve goat’s cheese. 🙂

Thai Green Curry is nice with fish. Smoked haddock risotto is a good shout too – never tried a poached egg on top though, sound awesome.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Vegetarians coming to dinner? Simply serve them a nice bit of steak or veal. Since theyre always going on about how tofu, Quorn, meat substitute etctastes exactly like the real thing, they wont know any difference.

Invited by vegetarians for dinner? Point out that since you`d no doubt be made aware of their special dietary requirements, tell them about yours, and ask for a nice steak.

emsz
    Free Member

capt, veggie here, but I cook meat all the time for my friends who aren’t, and TBH I cook a mean steak.

all those meat subs are shit anyway, and I wouldn’t eat them, there’s so many gorgeous veg recipes that I can do in a flash, I’d be bonkers to spend money on that stuff.

brassneck

Invited by vegetarians for dinner? Point out that since you`d no doubt be made aware of their special dietary requirements, tell them about yours, and ask for a nice steak.

I’ve cooked meat for friends, just warned them the inevitable botulism is their problem.

And on the cheese thing, there’seven stealth cheese.. not on the menu, a dish that has no need of it, but there it is.

A friend has a theory that all savoury food is improved with cheese. I disagree.

captaincarbon
    Free Member

emsz, i have no doubt you cook a damn mean steak.. been side tracked all after noon reading Viz Top Tips following on from another thread on here.

And as i was a Master Butcher amd Slaughterman in a the dim and distant past I have no serious input to make on this thread, so just posted some utter tosh!!! 😀

emsz
    Free Member

capt, I realised after I wrote that you were doing ‘viz’ 😆

master butcher sounds cool though. You don’t do it now?

captaincarbon
    Free Member

Not any more emsz, work as a Podiatrist in wound care… oh, hang on.. 😕

xherbivorex
    Free Member

tofu’s not a “meat substitute”.
    quorn is athlete’s foot with good PR.

just saying…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Fussy Eaters – Help Needed’ is closed to new replies.