• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by duir.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fuel savings from ash cloud flight cancellations?
  • KidDynamite
    Free Member

Does any body know if any fuel savings have been made from the grounded flights….?

aracer
    Free Member

I'm not an expert, but I'd guess they're using less fuel sitting on the ground than they would be if they were flying around in the air. I could of course be wrong about this.

KidDynamite
    Free Member

haha….. cheers

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It hasn't saved me any fuel.

scaredypants

I maybe used more, driving 5 people 2000km & then ferry than our portion of the plane's usage?

trout
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

Where are our petrochemists?

Can the surplus capacity for aviation fuel be turned to produce more say diesel?

duir
    Free Member

Fuel saving has been airlines number 1 priority for some time. Limited use of the APU, single engine taxi, limited use of aircon, careful level selection, long range cruise, taking only navlog fuel, idle thrust descents, quicker clean up after take off, landing with lesser flaps settings, etc etc.

So you can guess that they will, except for maintenance be using zero fuel whilst grounded.

molgrips
    Free Member

APU?

cp

Auxiliary Power Unit I would imagine – the mini turbine in the back providing power when the main engines aren't running. don't know if it's used in flight.

fuel might be being saved, but our business is struggling to get imports in from pretty much anywhere 🙁

solarider
    Free Member

A million barrels a day? Just from European flights. Imagine how much the total airline industry consumes!

That's a lot of fuel. Makes you realise just how much we consume and just how finite these resources are.

Scary!

jon1973
    Free Member

APU?

I googled it for you;

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah yes, I knew there was an auxiliary power unit.. cos I got stuck on a plane on the tarmac having boarded when European Air traffic control went down for like 5 hours. The APU packed up, leaving us on a boiling hot day sat on a plane with no aircon.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

That aside, I hope some research has been done over the last week or so on pollution levels etc etc… just to see how naughty aircraft are?

anjs
    Free Member

Jet fuel trade invokes force majeure
    Martyn Wingrove – Tuesday 20 April 2010
    TRADERS of jet fuel have called force majeure on deliveries to the UK on long range product tankers because of the cancellation of flights, writes Martyn Wingrove .
    The UK is one of the largest hubs for jet fuel in Europe and deliveries through at least five ports in southern England and Wales will be affected, as product is usually immediately piped to airports to supply aircraft.
    One London shipbroker said product tankers would be unable to discharge cargoes at Avonmouth, Fawley, Thames terminals, Milford Haven and Immingham, so suppliers have called force majeure on deliveries.
    “Tanks are full in airports and everything is stacking up. There is no where to put the jet fuel so it will have to remain in the tankers. Ships with jet fuel on board will have to sit there on demurrage or owners will renegotiate some sort of storage rate,” a London broker said.
    Another broker said the impact on deliveries would be temporary: “Once the ash cloud disappears, demand will catch up. But if it goes on for weeks, then we will see more floating storage of jet fuel.”
    Brokers expect jet fuel deliveries to Le Havre, Copenhagen and ports in the Amsterdam-Rotterdam- Antwerp area will also be affected if flights from nearby airports also remain affected by the volcanic ash cloud.
    Since all north European flights were banned, jet fuel consumption has dropped by 1m barrels per day, or about a fifth of global consumption. European stocks have risen by 5m barrels.

duir
    Free Member

APU?

Is a miniature jet engine usually in the tail of most airliners. We use it prior to engine start on the ground to provide bleed air to start the main engines. It can also be used to provide power to the aircraft and air conditioning on the ground before the main engine take over. In the air it is fairly unusual to run the APU and would normally only be used airborne in areas of thunderstorm activity (as a back up generator etc in the event of electrical failure/lightening strike) or as a backup generator in the case of the loss of an engine or two!

The APU uses fuel just like the main engines, as well as being noisy so most operators try to use it as little as possible and usually opt for a GPU (ground power unit)instead, this is an external plug in generator that keeps the electrics going but does not provide aircon.

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH……….

Can you tell I have been put on home standby indefinitely yet?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fuel savings from ash cloud flight cancellations?’ is closed to new replies.