Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fuel – How Much Are You Paying?
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

This crazy instability in the Middle East is sending fuel prices soaring even higher! The situation is far from over.

Diesel is up 3p in the last few days at around £1.34.

When travelling around over an extended period, i’ve observed that some regions charge more for fuel. One case is East Anglia. The road network seems OK to me, so I don’t quite get why there’s a price difference. A lot of fuel retailers set their price according to prices set by nearby competitors, so I think it must be down to that.

What do you pay per litre of petrol/diesel and which region are you in?

We are paying too much tax on fuel, but we are also wasting a half what goes through the forecourt pumps because people don’t understand, or want to understand how to drive fuel efficiently. We also have too many big gas guzzling cars. Prices are set by supply and demand are they not? The high prices are encouraging people to take more interest in reducing consumption which should mean lower demand. We would all be better off if vehicles that do less than 20mpg were gone from our roads. Infact, we should all now have vehicle capable of at least 50mpg. If the last government had made that a prerequisite of the car scrappage scheme, i’d have supported that tax splurge.

Developing economies are putting pressure on global demand production is limited to ensure prices remain high. Oil companies are making record profits. It all seems a little unfair especially when some countries get their fuel at lower prices.

Our economy is limping along, but we have inflation running at 4% or higher. The cost of fuel is a major influence on inflation. Food cost more because it take a lot of fuel to produce. This applies to nearly all goods and services.

So jacking up interest rates as fuel continues to go through the roof can only spell very bad news for our crippled economy.

The solution is for government to slash taxes all round in order to stimulate growth. This would have been possible if Labour hadn’t buried us in a mountain of public debt!

Now where do I get a ticket to another planet? 😆

ononeorange

Not really. It’s a finite resource that is fast running out and is doing significant damage to the environment and health.

Laws of economics say that the price will go up faster and faster as supply dwindles. Eventually poeple will realise the case that cars are a luxury item and not just jump in them to go everywhere – we can’t afford it for reasons other than economics. In my opinion the UK is barking mad to allow itself to be so dependent on a finite resource imported from a fair few unstable countries.

Edit – to answer your question very little. I rarely use the car.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Paid £1.31 for diesel @ Shell station near Bridgenorth yesterday. I’d normally go to Sainsburys at home (Chester) which is a bit cheaper but didn’t have much choice.
    Luckily I work from home so neither me or MrsSB do much mileage.
    Ordered 500l of heating oil yesterday which should see us through until June when hopefully prices will be better.

djglover
    Free Member

35 mpg in my petrol in 2001, cost of fuel was 89.9p a litre. 55mpg in my diesel today, cost of fuel 134p oer litre

Both c11p per mile

Whats the point in worrying yet

ebygomm
    Free Member

Filled up with petrol on Tuesday evening – 119.9. Admittedly I had a 5p off Tesco voucher

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

£1.29.9 for diesel at Esso and Asda in Bradford.

I think your thread title miss sold the content though.

dooosuk
    Free Member

125.9p Unleaded in central Manchester

iDave
    Free Member

i don’t look at the price anymore, it’s not relevant.

AdamW
    Free Member

“It’s still not expensive enough.”

Crossover thread. See what I did?

Thanks, I’m also here all week, try the lamb it’s great!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

£1.44 on the last fillup for V-Power petrol.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fuel – How Much Are You Paying?’ is closed to new replies.