Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • fsa megaexo – ht2 replacement?
  • doh
    Free Member

bb on my fsa gossamer cx megaexo chainset is dead can i replace it with shimano?

Coleman
    Free Member

Yes. I replaced the FSA bb on my son’s cross with a 105 bb – half the cost and twice the lifespan!

iainc

I wondered about doing it last Autumn when my FSA one on my Jake the Snake died – ended up buying another FSA but if Shimano fits will do that next time

ransos
    Free Member

I fitted a Superstar into mine – half the cost and half the lifespan! Have now got a Hope.

Both the Hope and Superstar b/b were sold as shimano/ FSA compatible.

doh
    Free Member

cheers all. the fsa one died after a few hundred mainly road miles, total crap.

MrTall
    Free Member

Its Truvative ones that are not compatable if i recall, FSA/Shimano/Raceface/Hope are all interchangeable.

Raceface are made of cheese and are the worst performers in my experience.

Hope/King etc are too pricy i think so i’ve just stocked up the spares bin with 3 XTR ones from Rosebikes at £16.90 each. At that price you can’t go far wrong? Basic Deore ones are less than £8 i think if you really want bargaintastic bits – you could put a new one in every month!!

ransos
    Free Member

cheers all. the fsa one died after a few hundred mainly road miles, total crap.

Top tip: you can extend the life of an FSA b/b by prising off the dust seals and packing it out with grease. That said, if it died that quickly, I’d see if your frame needs facing.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup should be fine – I have to say my FSA MegaExo (with extra shell protection) is still going strong after 2 years – amazed really given their reputation!

I do service is say every 6 months esp if it gets any creaks.

davegreene
    Free Member

I bought a hope bb for my FSA comet (megaexo) cranks and they dont fit! The FSA cranks seem to be fraction fatter than the h2 standard.

ransos
    Free Member

I bought a hope bb for my FSA comet (megaexo) cranks and they dont fit! The FSA cranks seem to be fraction fatter than the h2 standard.

My hope b/b fits fine on mine! I did have a problem during fitting – a seal came off the b/b when I extracted the drive side crank, and was hidden from view by the inner chainring and spider – which meant it didn’t fit properly on first attempt. Maybe you have the same problem?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

yup. megaexo is ever so slightly larger on the drive side bearing, for no reason whatsoever other than they would like to lock you into their replacement BBs. I’ve got a set that I’m going to get turned down to the right size, but for the moment an occasional dolloping of grease seems to keep the BB alive.

ransos
    Free Member

Home come my Hope fits my megaexo cranks? Did FSA change the design?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I know that a mate had some old Mega exo cranks and would only fit his Hope BB with a mallet – Perhaps it depends on the year? Mine seem fine?

davegreene
    Free Member

Home come my Hope fits my megaexo cranks? Did FSA change the design?

There are a few variations of ‘megaexo’. The comet cranks I have need a BB7000 BB (same as Afterburner/V-Drive/Moto-X cranks)
    Heres a good compatibility list [pdf warning]

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

The difference is only about 0.2mm, so depends on the model and BB. TBH, when my cranks need it, I’ll probably just sandpaper them!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘fsa megaexo – ht2 replacement?’ is closed to new replies.