Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • From SS to Gears
  • Bedds
    Free Member

Hey All..

I've been riding SS for a couple of years and loving it, not doing it to be niche, just because I enjoy it. It's been my sole bike for that period of time so I'm well out of the gear market!

I'm now looking to put gears on the bike and, whilst wanting to go geared I'm wary of adding too much weight.

My thoughts at present are to go SRAM XO with a double ring up front.. what are peoples experiences of this stuff? I've read a few reviews of the rear mech breaking.

Worth the money? any tips?

alexpalacefan

2nd hand XT, 1×9. Light enough and cheep if you don't like it.

APF

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

SRAM is well better than shimano, Id go for that. 1×9 though

cynic-al
    Free Member

Much prefer Shimano to SRAM – it's a subjective thing.

Difference of weight added by different drivetrains LX and above = not huge – I'd choose value/duarbility over weight any day but then I like to limit what I spend on my bike.

firestarter
    Free Member

id keep what ever chainset you have now stick on a 36t ring and use shimano mech/shifter and cassette which suits your budget.

RealMan
    Free Member

Can well recommend a double set up.

What I've been running for a while now, and its perfect. And if you're rad to the power of sick, you can add a bash guard.

Terry-Tibbs
    Free Member

I run 1×9 its ace, the chain never comes off and the shifting is aces. X9 mech is great bang for your buck, i run a full cable housing and it shifts perfectly, also coming from a 3×9 set up I dont feel im missing anything accept the noise of my chain running against the front mech.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘From SS to Gears’ is closed to new replies.