Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Friction shifters and 10 speed
  • GoatKarma
    Free Member

I’m about to update my touring frame to a new one and thought I might take the opportunity to replace the drivetrain. I was looking at 10speed XT as my lbs (flying fox bikes) have them super-cheap at the moment.

The only thing is that I use bar end friction shifters on the tourer and was a bit concerned with the tiny gaps between gears on 10speed. Friction shifters aren’t known to stay in the same place too well, and I’d be concerned that due to the tiny cable pull required for 10 speed shifting that it would constantly be changing gear at the slightest of shifter movement. Anyone had any experience with this?

njee20
    Free Member

There’s a Dura Ace friction shifter – I’d be inclined to try those. Or go for the SRAM R2C shifters, which are great!

GoatKarma
    Free Member

Great, thanks!

Anyone know if the Dura Ace 10 speed ones compatible with a XT 10 speed mech? I.e is the cable pull correct?

Edit-ah, according to here: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/GLSHDA7900BE-10-DB/shimano-dura-ace-7900-bar-end-shifters—10-speed—double they fit all 10 speed mechs but the diameter of the fitting is for the end of tri bars (22.2), although not sure if 22.2 is the standard diameter for the end of normal handlebars too?

njee20
    Free Member

Yes you need the newer 7900 ones you’ve linked to, you may find deals on the 7800 ones, but they’re not the same cable pull.

You should be fine with them in normal bar ends.

Mister-P
    Free Member

7900 and 7800 bar end shifters have the same cable pull. 7800 were discontinued and replaced by the 7900 as there was no need for both models. However I don’t think you will be able to use them with a 10 speed MTB mech as the cable pull needed for that is wrong. You could run a 10 speed MTB cassette, 9 speed MTB mech and 10 speed bar ends. That should work nicely.

GoatKarma
    Free Member

Ah ok then here are my three options I guess then (going on a long haul trucker):

1.Dura Ace 7900 shifters+10sp XT cassette+9sp XT Mech (cost:£68+£52+£55=£175)
    2.BS77 shifters (spare from shop so probably cheap)+9sp XT cassette+9sp XT Mech(£20+£52+£55=£77)
    3.Ultegra STIs(cheap at CRC)+10sp XT cassette+9sp XT mech(£140+£52+£55=£247)

Looking at the prices it seems to me the best option is probably the second one and just buy a 9speed xt cassette and mech and avoid 10speed completely!

boxelder

Options 1 & 3 – combination of 9/10 spd cassette, mech won’t work AFAIK.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Options 1 & 3 will work fine. However the maths on option 2 are a little out. 20+52+55 = £127

GoatKarma
    Free Member

oops the link to the BS77 shifters was wrong in option 2. Meant to be http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/9-spd-shimano-dura-ace-sl-bs77-bar-end-gear-levers-prod386/

and should have used a calculator. Better go and get some more coffee.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The ones in that link are £66.37 so your maths is even further out. Personally I would go option A as if you look at 8 speed the availibility of decent cassettes dropped off. So the same will happen for 9 at some point.

GoatKarma
    Free Member

The ones in that link are £66.37 so your maths is even further out

They wouldn’t cost £66 though as my lbs have a spare set they can let me have cheaply.

Cheers for the tip re:9sp availability, will have a think.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Friction shifters and 10 speed’ is closed to new replies.