Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • French bread wrapping…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

thought this for years why the %*ck dont they seal both ends of a french bread loaf wrapper ? the exposed bit always rests on some crappy part of boot space or on a seat where a bottom has been resting ?

thepurist

Think you’ll find the answer in this thread 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

You need quick access just in case you need to have a French Stick sword fight with someone.

mrjmt
    Free Member

Because the bread is still warm when wrapped so if it was sealed the steam would make your bread soggy, then this thread would be “why is my french bread always soggy”!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Why oh why can’t middle class internet forum dwellers even put their baguettes in to their car the right way up?

defydude
    Free Member

Because it is not intended to be stored in the boot.

The open end is not supposed to ever rest on anything solid.

chakaping
    Free Member

Best #firstworldproblem ever?

chvck
    Free Member

Never mind the wrapper, french sticks just shouldn’t come with ends at all and should come with some sort of coring device to remove all the softness inside so you can eat that and then fill the inside of the crust with something else.

binners

You mean you don’t instinctively twist the end off your french bread? And eat it while doing your shopping? Thus rendering it short enough to fit in its sheath?

Very suspect

portlyone

First thing most people do is to start eating that end, why bother closing it! 🙂

defydude
    Free Member

#firstworldproblemsolved

…next?

Cougar

Because it’s French. </casualracism>

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m with binners on this one.

The fact that I’m not blaming him must mean you are a total freak.

thegreatape
    Free Member

If both ends were sealed it wouldn’t be able to slide out onto the floor to the amusement of onlookers.

julianwilson
    Free Member

A proper boulangerie in the motherland France will just put a square of paper round the middle (diagonally) and hand it to you with both ends open to the elements. (It will also contain no such thing as flour improvers or preservatives so will go stale by the morning.)

Think yourself lucky you have one end in the bag, whiny Eeeeeeengleeshman! 😉 and indeed 😀

TooTall
    Free Member

A proper boulangerie in the motherland France will just put a square of paper round the middle (diagonally) and hand it to you with both ends open to the elements. (It will also contain no such thing as flour improvers or preservatives so will go stale by the morning.)

I have bread envy. 😥

binners

Do you covet his baguette?

juan
    Free Member

What julian says. Also you’ll be able to pick from the wide variety of freshly baked breads, “viénnoiserie” and other delicacies.

TooTall
    Free Member

Do you covet his baguette?

I long for his loaf.

Slathered in salty butter.

derek_starship
    Free Member

In Paris, I once carried a baguette in what I thought was a rather ingenious manner. I secured it with straps to my rucksack in a vertical attitude. Unfortunately the automatic barrier at the Metro station closed just a tad early as I passed through and cut the baguette cleanly in half. Both pieces ending up on the not very clean station floor.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Oh, the ‘putting it in the boot’ bit is all wrong too: you have to lay the baguette reverentially on the back seat or instruct a passenger to hold it safely on pain of scorn from your nan and threat of being written out of the will when you get home. (Not that this has ever happened in our family. Oh no. )

juan
    Free Member

that won’t work julian, mum had to buy a sacrificial baguette in order to have at least one surviving one arriving at home

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You’ll need one of these when you get home.

crikey
    Free Member

Y’see Warburtons have circumvented this by producing a loaf that is small and sliced and encased in a protective plastic bag with an ergonomic carrying bit at the top. They even leave the crusts on to protect either end.

spooky_b329

Because my first job (supermarket bakery) would have been even more tedious…it was bad enough pulling a trolley of 80 sticks out of the oven and bagging them…especially when you only have 8 minutes before the next batch is bleeping away.

My current supermarket gets around this problem, by turning a blind eye to the fact that the bakery just constantly runs out of bread.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

not really anything that french about a french loaf is there !?

binners

I’m not sure about that. They can be quite surly.

gator
    Free Member

Because it smells and tastes sooooo good

you eat some while walking back to the car – that way it fits inside the wrapper with the end folded over and does not touch the inside of the boot 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

You’re supposed to take your own “sac à pain” if you’re worried about getting it dirty.

In our local boulangerie the ladies have memorised how the regulars like thzir bread cooked and pick from the basket accordingly. When there aren’t any “pas trop cuit” left they’ll go and hunt for one fresh from the oven.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

I just bite the end off, then fold it in half and shove it in a carrier bag or backpack. Then, when I get home, I take it out of the said bag, swing it around my head, while singing Paul McCartney’s ‘Frog Song’ and simultaneously headbutting whoever else may be in the room, Zidane style.

donsimon
    Free Member

I just bite the end off, then fold it in half and shove it in a carrier bag or backpack. Then, when I get home, I take it out of the said bag, swing it around my head, while singing Paul McCartney’s ‘Frog Song’ and simultaneously headbutting whoever else may be in the room, Zidane style.

You too? Now that’s just too spooky for words. Do you ever do it while wearing a tutu?

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Only on the Sabbath.

donsimon
    Free Member

OH-MY-GOD!!! 😯

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘French bread wrapping…’ is closed to new replies.