Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Freehub is knackered….
  • comedyphil
    Free Member

… I think. Following a very wet and gritty ride last weekend, after this weekends jaunt I noticed an odd clicknig noise coming from the rear wheel, and that my pedals had started turning when wheeling the bike about. Then, on my commute today, there was a distinct deterioration in engagement, with cranks often spinning up to half a revolution before any drive engagement.

So, three questions:

1) Am i correct in assuming the the freehub is knackered?

2) If so, is it repairable? It’s on a Deore XT (FH-M756) hub

3) If it’s not repairable, can you swap different brands/”levels” of kit (i.e. standard Deore instead of XT)? For example, would this fit, or is it specifically for M530 hubs?

Thanks in advance!

takisawa2

Probably not repairable, but a Deore one will go on fine. Might be as cheap to buy a whole Deore hub & stick the new bearings & cones in while the axle is out. (Has to come out to get it off, I think). You’ll need cone spanners.

stumpyjon

Could try taking it off, removing the seal at the back and giving it a really good flush through with WD40 followed byu further flusges with oil. Could also be knackered. Deore freehub £ 21 from CRC

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1161

grim168
    Free Member

I bought a full hub from wiggle as there wasn’t much difference in price. Was dissapointed how long the original lasted.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Freehub is knackered….’ is closed to new replies.