Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fred Whitton – gearing?
  • malley

Have a mate doing the Fred Whitton this year. What gearing set up do people recommend? Compact – 30/48? MTB cassette? 13/32? Any help/thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

If he’ s fairly fit then a 34/50 compact c/set and a 12-27 or 11-28 will get you up HardKnott, just, which is the main thing.

If he’s not quite so fit then I suggest a 34/50 and a 11-32.

Sram Apex do a 11-32 10spd cassette if he’s running 10spd
    or a mtb 11-32 cassette if he’s 9spd

wellhung
    Free Member

What he said^^^

crazy-legs

I’ve done it on 34-27 low gear (actually on my road-ified CX bike), I’ve seen people on normal 39/53 chainsets but with a MTB cassette so 32 or even 34T at the back.

Either works – depends a bit on what is available to you and the cheapest option for you.

finbar
    Free Member

I did it last year, 34/50 on the front and 12-25 at the back. That was sufficient to pedal up everything without pushing, and i’m not that strong.

warton
    Free Member

I’ve done the route before and I got up the lot on a double with a 25 on the back, but it was really hard. If I was to do it again I’d consider a compact. Then I’d MTFU!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The hills are doable on a double, but after cycling 100miles, grinding a double up hardknott would destroy you. I just walked it. This year I’ll maybe use a compact if I can find a cheap 2nd hand one but otherwise I’ll just walk it again. Not arsed really.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

It depends a lot on the rider and how fit they are. If they are spent by the time they get to Hardknott then no amount of low gearing will get them up.

If they still have something in the tank at that stage, then a 34/50 compact and either a 27 or 28 largest sprocket at the back should be fine.

Like others have said, it depends on what is on the bike already, how easy and cheap it will be to swap. I know folk who have done it on a standard 39/52 double with an 11/25 on the back. They accepted from the start that they would have to walk bits but that was cheaper / easier than having to faff around altering their gearing.

BadlyWiredDog

Compact with a 25 at the back did me fine and I’m a hugely average rider.

malley

Thanks for those replies everyone – good stuff!

smell_it
    Free Member

Another compact with a 12-25 [list]outback here.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Good luck 🙂

As said, save yourself for HardKnott. If you want to ride it all then everything depends on this climb, and it’s a real challenge.

Spin away the first part up to Honister. Resist the temptation to go hard until then, IMO. Ride Honister/Newlands/Whinlatter at your own pace then dig in for the last two. Get your fuelling ready for HK – you want to be fed and fully caffeined-gelled up for this 8)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fred Whitton – gearing?’ is closed to new replies.