Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Fox X2 on 130mm trail bike. Any takers?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Seriously considering an X2 on my 5010cc V2.
    Anyone else running this much shock on relatively short travel trail bikes? Reckon it may be overkill or just adjustability nirvana?

techsmechs
    Free Member

Coil or Air?

zelak999
    Free Member

Definately air.

techsmechs
    Free Member

I’ve just dropped a coil X2 on my 120mm T1-29 trail bike.

zelak999
    Free Member

I’ve just dropped a coil X2 on my 120mm T1-29 trail bike.

What does it ride like? is it easy enough to get set up?

sweaman2
    Free Member

If it fits I think it will improve the performance no end. I think the main reasons you don’t see them fitted often are weight and that you’re probably not doing as many long sustained downhills where the reservoir helps with over heating.

techsmechs
    Free Member

Its gonna take some fettling (huge adjustment range), but in initial tests it feels awesome and exactly like you’d expect – It might be a *shade (lots) overkill!

For context I also dropped a coil onto a Trek DRCV Fuel EX a few years ago and that turned it into a trail monster. More grip, more support from the spring everywhere and no mushy feeling.

SamB
    Free Member

I stuck a Float X2 on my Carbine (140mm). Got it from TFT so didn’t have to think about tuning it particularly. Rides fantastically if you ride in a more “aggro” manner than a Float DPS or RP23 is set up to handle.

Probably overkill, but then I run Float 36s with a 20mm axle on my hardtail and think that’s perfectly warranted 😈

antares
    Free Member

Was considering one for my Hightower and have seen TF tuned have the 2018 one available for pre order for the princely sum of £699 😯

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I’ve got a float x on my bike and it’s brilliant, especially after a tune

pyekid
    Free Member

I’ve had a ohlins stx 22 fitted to my 5010 cc and it’s made a good bike great.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve had a DBair (not Inline!) on my 140mm Spitfire from new and I’d only consider shocks like the X2 as an alternative.

Not just adjustability nirvana but damping control nirvana too!

zelak999
    Free Member

Cheers for the answers folks!
    Like the sound of the Ohlins STX 22 pyekid, is the bike still poppy and playful with the new shock?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Fitted a DHX2 onto my Riegn – everyone says that coils are less lively.

Complete balls IMO, it’s way livelier and poppier than my Monarch ever was – mostly because you can tune the high speed rebound to your taste – but also because you don’t have to run tonnes of compression to control the midstroke.

pyekid
    Free Member

Bike is just better allround. Still playful and haven’t felt the need to mess with it since Jake at sprung suspension set it up 5 months ago.

poah
    Free Member

zelak999 – Member
    Definately air.

id go coil over air

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I’ve just dropped a coil…

Snigger

zelak999
    Free Member

id go coil over air

I guess i’m a litle bit weight conscious too.

Any idea of the weight of an air X2 200 x 50?

SirHC

Any idea of the weight of an air X2 200 x 50?

Circa 500g from memory, to be honest though, the performance you gain from the weight sacrifice over a monarch/float evol is a no brainer!

Currently mulling over a new bike built (to replace both Reign and Smuggler) and an Fox 36/Float X2 Trek Fuel EX would be pretty mega for the stuff I ride.
    Shame that the Float X2 doesn’t come in a 210×52.5

poah
    Free Member

CCDB coil IL won’t be much more with a valt spring than the X2, certainly nothing you’ll notice.

tmb467
    Free Member

Rumour has it that the X2 for 2018 comes in metric sizes – dunno if that helps or is just a poisson rouge

chakaping
    Free Member

The obvious answer would be Cane Creek’s new version of the Inline, but it looks like the durability is already coming into question again.

No reason not to put an X2 on a 130mm bike IMO, Orange are speccing them on their new 135mm 29er.

SirHC

Rumour has it that the X2 for 2018 comes in metric sizes – dunno if that helps or is just a poisson rouge

Fox don’t list a 210×55, with rockshox you can turn a 210×55 into a 210×52.5 with internal travel adjusters. Will call Mojo at some point as they should know what is possible.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Currently mulling over a new bike built (to replace both Reign and Smuggler) and an Fox 36/Float X2 Trek Fuel EX would be pretty mega for the stuff I ride.
    Shame that the Float X2 doesn’t come in a 210×52.5

I’ll save you the effort, they can’t make one in those dimensions, due to the way the X2 works, they can’t limit the stroke length on a longer stroke shock (apparently).

I’m seriously toying with the idea of putting an X2 coil on my Fuel, the bike is ridiculous & have a feeling it would be pretty awesome with the coil on with shorter travel.

The other option with the Fuel is a 55mm stroke shock does fit & doesn’t cause any clearance issues – makes it ~138mm travel on the back from memory.

RickDraper
    Free Member

I’ll save you the effort, they can’t make one in those dimensions, due to the way the X2 works, they can’t limit the stroke length on a longer stroke shock (apparently).

They should be able to as thats how Fox used to make a 200×51 X2. Its a 200×57 with a 6mm internal limiter to limit the stroke.

They cannot reduce the eye to eye on one but as long as the eye to eye length is the same then they can make a X2 to suit the stroke.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

They should be able to as thats how Fox used to make a 200×51 X2. Its a 200×57 with a 6mm internal limiter to limit the stroke.

Apparently something to do with the new air can design – still good to know if they potentially can – would also need to check if there is clearance for the shock body.

jacksprogis
    Free Member

It’s made the bike much more surefooted and I’ve not lost anything I’d say.

My DPS broke and I always had to run it at near max pressure so it didn’t wallow.

timbo678
    Free Member

Just thinking the same about my 5010, the float I have just doesn’t quite live up to the rest of the bike when shit gets real.

Jacksprogis – that looks tidy, what travel are your 36s at? Just fitted 150 pikes to mine over 140 BOS and it has improved it no end…looking at yours maybe I could have got away with more!

jacksprogis
    Free Member

150 mate. Feels bang on, might go 140 on my new one though.

timmys

I have one on my 135 mm travel Hightower. It’s good.

Don’t worry about the set-up. Start with the Fox recommended setup for your weight (tend to be pretty close), and then using the Cane Creek “Dialed” app. On the app you will have to blag your way through setting up a Cane Creek Double Barrel, but after that it’s really useful via the “Tweak” settings part. You select what you want in English (eg. too firm / more pop / feels dead / harsh / chattery) and it will tell you what to alter (HSC, HSR, LSC, LSR). Or borrow/hire a Shockwiz!

zelak999
    Free Member

Awesome, I’m sold. Just need to wait for Mojo to get the 2018 stock in now.

@jacksprogis
    that looks sweet, tempted with the 150 36’s too.

SirHC

I’m seriously toying with the idea of putting an X2 coil on my Fuel, the bike is ridiculous & have a feeling it would be pretty awesome with the coil on with shorter travel.

Server outage at work so had some spare time to call Mojo. No word on when metric shocks will be available and they didn’t let on to whether they are adjustable.
    Would guess the coil is fairly straightforward.

kevt

For those with a solo 5010, I have recently had the fox ctd pushed and I think it improves the performance a lot, worth considering at slightly lower cost.

timbo678
    Free Member

Does anyone fine there is a noticeable rattle from the rear end, over rough ground?

Everything is tight, torqued etc – fairly certain it is the mech but was fine on previous bike

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

same here, rattling, in general cant really tell where mines is coming from, but its rattling on anything climbing off road pretty much, if its got bumps/roots/rock I can hear it rattling somewhere

but stationary compressing the suspension I cant get it to make the noise at all

SirHC

https://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=757

52.5mm listed on the IFP height table. Can only hope that Fox release aftermarket metric shocks.

RickDraper
    Free Member

They will release them, you can currently buy them from places around europe.

ehrob

Currently having the same dilemma as the OP.

Got a couple of European trips coming up so want to replace the Monarch on my Scout with something with a piggyback. Probably an air shock.

I went down the coil route last year (Banshee Prime), since sold the bike, never used the coil apart from abroad. The weight difference was too significant, and the lack of climb switch was also an issue.

So my options given the size requirement appear to be:

DB Air CS £575
    Fox Van with a tune £unknown as not clear what’s included. Likely £400-£450 I guess
    Pushed Float X £599

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences? Favouring DB Air at the moment.

poah
    Free Member

CCDB coil IL with valt spring is about 650g, a CCDB air or X2 is 500ish grams.

Van RC with the MX tune is about £500 but no climb switch.

ehrob

But no piggyback on the IL, so doesn’t really help with the fact this purchase is being driven partly by the desire to have a piggyback shock for heat dissipation.

Argh

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Fox X2 on 130mm trail bike. Any takers?’ is closed to new replies.