Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fox shock top bushing issue
  • H
    Free Member

Evening!

Im after some guidance for my rear shock on a 2007 Giant Trance.

The top bushing developed some play whilst riding in Wales at the weekend. I have just taken the bolt/bushing out from the top of the shock to find that the eyelet appears to have worn rather than the bushing. I assume the bushing is slightly worn but there are clear marks within the eyelet of the shock.

I guess that buying a new bushing will not solve the issue. Is there anything I can do to the shock to eliminate the play?

Thanks very much 🙂

Liftman

Replace the sleeve in the eyelet

H
    Free Member

Ahh I didnt realise there was one! Will have a closer look. Cheers 🙂

ruscle
    Free Member

Is the sleeve in the eyelet not the bush? As said replace this bush, you can get the tool needed if you want to do it yourself from BETD and also their bushes. Your doing well only just needing to replace it on a 2007 bike, I normally replace between 10-12 monthly.

H
    Free Member

Just had a look. The shock eyelet has a sleeve in, approx 1mm in thickness. This sleeve is showing signs of wear internally which clearly needs replacing.

The 2 top hat shaped parts that fell out of the eyelet dont have much sign of wear. Is it best to replace both the sleeve and top hats?

kayak23

Get a new heavy duty bushing kit from Tf tuned. It includes the sleeve. I managed to change mine by using the new one to push out the old into a suitably sized socket in a vice.

nick1962
    Free Member

+1 for what ruscle says,that’s what I understand the bushing to be.Got a tool and two bushings off e bay for about a tenner.

bighendo
    Free Member
    RustyMac

The parts you describe are the bushes, the metal parts that support the shock are genrally known as the mouning kit. The bushes are a disposible part so that you don’t trash a £200+ shock with un avoidable wear.

The link bighendo has provided and the suggestion by ruscle to go to BETD are good for parts however the fitting kits they sell require to be used in a vice for removal/fitting of the bushes. If you search on eBay for Fox Shock Bush Tool you will see there are a few peole making them that can be used with a spanner and alen key. Replacement of the bushes is fairly easy. As with ruscle i inspect the bushes every couple of months and generally replace them every 10 – 12 months.

ruscle
    Free Member

I just use a hammer and a flat surface to use the removal tool from BETD, I believe they have instructions on how to use on their website.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fox shock top bushing issue’ is closed to new replies.