Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fox Float 32 fits suspension fluid query.
  • jojoA1
    Free Member

Which weight and quantity of fluid should I use and where to get some other than the mega expensive stuff from Mojo?…

Thankyouplease.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

motorcycle fork oil. Can’t remember for sure the grades for fox but IIRC its 5 wt for the dampers and 15wt for the lube in the lowers. Halfords or any bike shop should have it

jojoA1
    Free Member

Ta TJ, so for the basic reglar fluid change that’s the lowers, yes?…
    Gads I wish I still had a live-in bike mechanic! 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

yup – in the lowers and yo are talking about a few ml only IIRC. Take teh lowers off, empty out any oil, soak the foam ring at the top of the lowers with oil, reasemble but before you put the foot nuts / bolts in add 10 ml of oil to each side

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah I remember this from researching suspension oil for my Rebas.

http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/bikesuspension.htm

Basically you need a light oil for the damping duties, and a thicker oil for the lubrication. The latter is not critical; any synthetic oil above about 15-20wt should do it I’d imagine. It’s a simple bit of equipment, not some critical bit of the Space Shuttle.

Bit of Googling suggests it’s more like a 7wt for the damping but 5wt might be a bit better if you’re quite light yourself.

Pees me off that bike companies charge so much for other people’s products. The shysters….

jojoA1
    Free Member

Thanks TJ and Elfin. I’m just sh*t scared of doing something that will ruin them, but can’t afford to have the regular maintenance stuff done by a shop/service company.

nealy
    Free Member

Read the below links but the best suspension fluid is Red Line and I think you need their medium weight oil, this seemed to be the cheapest place for it http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60184-red-line-medium-suspension-fluid.aspx

http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/bikesuspension.htm

http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

EDIT: Elfin beat me to it!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

TBH Jojo, unless you bung in the wrong type of stuffs, you can’t do much damage. Synthetic suspension fluids are designed not to swell the rubber seals, but apart from that it’s just a viscous fluid. Don’t be sucked into the hype about ‘bike specific’ stuffs, cos it’s marketing BS. Brake fluid’s another one; no way would I spend loads on ‘bike specific’ stuff when it’s standard DOT 5.1 fluid!

juan
    Free Member

Chris from mojo says the internal are meant to work with 10W viscosity so you should only work with 10 W viscosity.
    That is the only thing oil related he told me. So any motorcycle fork fork oil will do.
    Are they float or vans?

juan
    Free Member

Before you do what TJ mention (that would actually ruin your forks) have a look at the mojo vids. Basically you put your bike upside down, make yourself a good cuppa, remove the lowers, make the drip. Then you remove the foam ring clean them using alcohol (as in cleaning one, not wiskey) clean the rubber (still with alcohol) and put them back together with ox fluid or a bit of oil.
    Forgetting to clean the foam ring/seals is what kills most of the forks. From the man chris himself.

jojoA1
    Free Member

They’re floats.

juan
    Free Member

Then make sure you clean the wipers and foam seals thoroughly as it will increase the life of your coating and therefore (this is my second favourite word) the “airproofness” of the cartridge.

YGM btw

martinxyz
    Free Member

Yer fork has 30ml of green fox 10wt in the spring side oil bath and the same again in the damper side oil bath.

The damper is something more precise like 35.5 ml or something but you probably wont be going there.

The top left (remove the air cap after deflating) needs 5ml of fox gloop poured in. (fox fluid)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fox Float 32 fits suspension fluid query.’ is closed to new replies.