Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fox DHX Air 5.0 or Float RP23
  • AGray
    Free Member

I’m looking to upgrade the rear shock on my Specialized Enduro SL Comp 2009. which is currently running the standard AFR Shock w/ Spike valve, air spring, adj. rebound and low speed compression – 7.875×2.25″

I took part in the Endurance DH event at Fort Bill last year and my rear shock couldn’t handle it. This year i’ll be doing more of the same riding – everything from XC/AM to some DH tracks & a trip to Morzine – so I am wanting to upgrade the shock so it can cope.

I’m running TALAS 36’s forks up front, the bike generally isn’t that light yet it is still easy to pedal up hill but isn’t the billy goat it used to be.

Mojo recommended the RP23 but I have been eyeing up the DHX Air 5.0
    What are your thoughts and experiences with either shock?

Cheers

xiphon
    Free Member

Have you considered two shocks?

An RP23 for 95% of the UK riding, and a DHX / Van R for the more DH orientated holidays abroad?

I used a Vanilla RC on my Pitch for a good while. (similar linkage design to yours).

khani
    Free Member

The dhx looks nicer with the piggyback chamber but the rp23 is just better all round performance wise, had both and a pushed dhx coil, dhx was poo, the rp was good, but the coil blew em away
    Shirly a coil dhx with a ti spring is better, bit heavier but it’s not exactly a xc wippit anyway

retro83
    Free Member

khani – Member

The dhx looks nicer with the piggyback chamber but the rp23 is just better all round performance wise

Disagree with that. I really didn’t get on with the BoostValve RP23. Harsh at low speed, harsh at high speed and mushy in the middle. Completely different to the older RP23 (or a Push’d BV RP23).

The DHX Air is a different animal, much, much more active than an RP23, and better behaved at high speed. Going from an RP23 to a DHX air on my Meta 5 absolutely transformed it. I never really ‘got’ full sus until I fitted that. Suddenly you could ride through stuff rather than pinging over the top of it.

The DHX air has a bad rep for feeling dead, I think this is probably cos they have the large air can, and need the smaller one or they need a bit more air in the boost valve chamber.

the_lecht_rocks

speak to STENDEC or TFTuned.

tell them the frame, your weight and your level of gnar and they will offer professional advice.

good luck

chakaping
    Free Member

I had a DHX Air on a previous bike and wouldn’t touch one again, even though they are claimed to have been improved. It was that bad.

If you really think a Float won’t be able to cope with your riding, have you considered the Rock Shox Monarch RC3?

Dirt were very keen on it (they do seem to get carried away about things though)…
    http://dirt.mpora.com/news/dirt-100-2011-rockshox-monarch-rc3.html

I’ve no experience of it myself, but I just thought it might be an option.

Marco72
    Free Member

Running a 2010 Fox Van with TI coil on my 2009 SL. Have been very happy with it, very responsive and not a lot of bob even though there is no compression setting. I chose this set up as it was cost effective and reliable. 😀

Bregante

I run a steel van coil on my sl at the minute and it’s absolutely amazing. I was thinking about the rp23 as well but am now tempted to go for a ti spring instead. Out of interest Marco, where did you get your ti spring from?

fivespot
    Free Member

Out of those two I would choose the RP23, But for the type of riding you describe, I think a coil shock would be more fitting. On that type of use an air shock will over heat and give a harsher/less controled ride.

Marco72
    Free Member

Hi Bregante, got the TI spring from CRC. Its a Nukeproof jobbie. Used TFTuned spring calc to work out the spring rate. They do save a lot of weight but aint cheap! I guess the cost for a Van & TI is similar to a quality air shock but i feel they are far more responsive so worth the investment. Looks cool too 😀

eshershore
    Free Member

RP2 series blows the DHX Air away for trail and all-mountain riding

I’ve owned the same frame with DHX Air 5 and RP23 XV BV and the RP was leagues ahead in terms of pedalling, stability, ride height and consistency through the small bump, mid stroke and big bump ranges

DHX Air was “mushy” under power and squatted into the mid stroke unless you hit something violent which would wake it up

AGray
    Free Member

Chakaping: I’ll have a look into the Monarch, looks like a really decent shock for the money however I am intrigued by the idea of a coil shock setup with a ti spring.

Marco72 or Bregante: I take it the Van Coil setup doesnt effect the climbing ability of the bike compared to how the bike rode with the specialized AFR air shock?
    I’ve noticed that this years VAN shock comes with low speed compression adjustment, I take it this is a new feature as you were saying you dont have this option?

loddrik
    Free Member

I swapped the rp23 for a dhx5 on my old 575, worst think I ever did. Just blew through the midstroke far too easily and never felt right after that.

loddrik
    Free Member

I swapped the rp23 for a dhx5 on my old 575, worst thing I ever did. Just blew through the midstroke far too easily and never felt right after that.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

AGray – incredibly likely Im going to be selling the 2009 RP23HV I’ve currently got fitted to my Enduro SL as the frame should be sold soon with the original AFR shock. I’ll therefore have no need for the RP23 anymore so let me know if you’d be interested in buying it. Having had it fitted to my Enduro SL it’ll come with all the right bushings to fit yours.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

DHX Air regularly slated by both tuners/suppliers and users, particularly for blowing thru the midstroke which is especially an issue on VPP bikes which need more support. I had a DHX Air on a Nomad and bought a PUSH’ed vanilla RC coil for it. Then I RTFM for the DHX Air, increased the pressure in the piggy back chamber, and screwed the bottom-out aduster on said chamber in, which increased mid stroke stability and effectively increased compression damping. Transformed the shock and I sold the RC without ever fitting it.

Cant compare it with the RP23 but I think a lot of the knocking comes from poor set up as it is a fickle shock, and as it doesnt respond to (or is too complicated for) proprietory tuning some of the pro outfits slate it (vested interests in selling a shock they can then charge a packet to tune).

New frame has a CCDB, so I’ll be RTFM for months!

carbon337
    Free Member

Im needing convinced not to swap a needing serviced RP23 for a custom tuned van Rc. Looking like I’m going to do it at the moment.

I’d been wanting a coil for a while but worried about the weight increase. It’s on a 5 BTW.

carbon337
    Free Member

Im needing convinced not to swap a needing serviced RP23 for a custom tuned van Rc. Looking like I’m going to do it at the moment.

I’d been wanting a coil for a while but worried about the weight increase. It’s on a 5 BTW.

retro83
    Free Member

Munqe-chick – Member
    DHX Air regularly slated by both tuners/suppliers and users, particularly for blowing thru the midstroke which is especially an issue on VPP bikes which need more support. I had a DHX Air on a Nomad and bought a PUSH’ed vanilla RC coil for it. Then I RTFM for the DHX Air, increased the pressure in the piggy back chamber, and screwed the bottom-out aduster on said chamber in, which increased mid stroke stability and effectively increased compression damping. Transformed the shock and I sold the RC without ever fitting it.

Cant compare it with the RP23 but I think a lot of the knocking comes from poor set up as it is a fickle shock, and as it doesnt respond to (or is too complicated for) proprietory tuning some of the pro outfits slate it (vested interests in selling a shock they can then charge a packet to tune).

New frame has a CCDB, so I’ll be RTFM for months!

Yes, exactly!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fox DHX Air 5.0 or Float RP23’ is closed to new replies.