Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Fox 36s with Hope 8" floating rotors
  • AdeC
    Free Member

Oh sage stw forumists….
    there is some considerable rubbing and chaffing from the upper post mount on the ali spider of the floating rotor. The hub is a 20mm DMR Revolver.

A standard 8" rotor fits in there (just). Is anyone running a Hope floating rotor on Fox 36s? and if so what front hub are you using? And <ahem> do you have any chaffing down there?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Running a floating 203mm rotor with Chris King hubs is also a very tight fit on Fox 36's. As is a 203mm Floater on QR15 with CK hubs.

The anodising has been rubbed off with a bit of mud on both. I can live with it.

T1000
    Free Member

I've had the same problem using postmount shimano calipers with floating rotors on fox 36's and after lots of faffing around with shim washers and filing of about 1 mm of the calliper eliminated any rub.

subsequently I've swapped the caliper for an IS mount which works perfectly

doof_doof
    Free Member

My Hope P2 works with floating rotor and 36. CK's are notorious for rubbing (see MTBR), so filing the fork lower is the unfortunate answer.

AdeC
    Free Member

cheers for the quick replies fellas. I'm reckon I need about 1-2mm extra space for the rotor to clear the post mount.
    I am tempted to replace the hub with a Hope Pro II before I do any drastic filing on the fork lowers.

or i could just put the standard rotor back on, but that would be admitting defeat!

ozzybmx
    Free Member

DT240 hubs , hope 203mm and 36 Floats , filed 1mm off the post mount when building it as it was skimming paint off .

If you have hope hubs it doesnt rub …. as far as any others go i dont know.

Dont worry about filing off the fork , its basically just paint you are removing anyhow.

clubby

Hope pro 2 with 8" floating rotors. Never had any rubbing on hope pm calipers.

AdeC
    Free Member

Nice one. Decision made. I'm ordering a Hope ProII front wheel.

T1000
    Free Member

Adec I'd be cautious hope brakes hub and rotors work fine

Hope pro 2 + floating rotor + shimano postmount calipers are a pain in my experiance shimano IS fitting work fine

AdeC
    Free Member

Hi T1000,

the brake is a Hope X2, on a Hope 8" post to post adaptor. So the only bit of this whole front brake ensemble that isnt Hope is the front hub. If it still rubs when everything is Hope kit, then out comes the file!

I'll post an update once done.

DT78
    Free Member

Fox 36, 203 floating rotor with hope caliper on proII hub. No problems at all from me.

loco_pollo
    Free Member

Hope floating 8incher on pro 2s on a 36 float here – not much clearance but no rubbing.

AdeC
    Free Member

update: I borrowed a front wheel (Hope Pro II on Spank Subrosa). I bolted on the floating 203mm rotor and put it on the Fox 36s…..no rubbing, in fact there is a good 3-4mm of clearance between the upper post mount and the rotor.

Conclusion: 20mm DMR revolver hub with a hope 203mm floating rotor on a 2009 Fox 36 Van – does not fit!

The width of the DMR hub is approx 3mm thinner than a Hope ProII. That was an expensive lesson!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Fox 36s with Hope 8" floating rotors’ is closed to new replies.