Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Forum Extension Tools
  • chvck
    Free Member

I’m building a Chrome plugin to add a few handy tools to the forum. At present I have user blocking (with options to hide threads by author and to hide posts with an option to have a link to click to see the post), 1 click user blocking and 1 click quoting.

Does anyone have any ideas that’d be handy to implement? I’m struggling to think of many – which may highlight the lack of any need for any!

ps. if stw towers aren’t keen on this then let me know and I’ll stop!

poly
    Free Member

Is there not a new forum coming soon anyway or was that a viscous rumour?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

At present I have user blocking (with options to hide threads by author and to hide posts with an option to have a link to click to see the post

LOL!

but would you really want to read a forum that consisted of posts such as :->

TJ your not really thinking that through are you ?
    TJ it always difficult to tell when are you trolling ?
    TJ do you really believe that or you just making it up ?

Would nt it seem a bit one sided ? Or will it delete posts that mention TJ as well as his posts ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

returnign to a thread at the last point you read it/posted on it would be good but maybe a server side thing?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Why would you want to block 100% of a user’s content? Everyone can be a knobjockey from time to time, wouldn’t it be better to mature a bit and simply learn to ignore the posts that wind you up?
    [gossip]Who are you looking to block?[/gossip]

rondo101
    Free Member

Forcing posted urls to open in a new tab when clicked.

chvck
    Free Member

returnign to a thread at the last point you read it/posted on it would be good but maybe a server side thing?

That’s a good idea, I’ll look into how difficult it’d be, I think that it should be fairly easy to implement client side but I’m not sure if chrome restricts how much storage you can use!

edit: actually, I didn’t think about how to work out which post you’re viewing when you leave the topic, shall investigate!

imnotamused
    Free Member

Email reply notifications for threads you have posted on.

Email notifications when keywords appear on the site/forum

Dobbo

Forcing posted urls to open in a new tab when clicked. = Middle button.

jonba
    Free Member

Not sure how easy it would be? But this would be really useful in the wanted/forsale forum

chvck
    Free Member

Email reply notifications for threads you have posted on.

Not possible in an extension I suspect, not without it talking to some other server that can send emails anyway.

wwaswas

you can do the search thing by just settign up quick links on your desk top or in the bookmarks page – the syntax for search is very simple and you can force exact matches.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/search.php?q=vanity+search

rocketman
    Free Member

choice of avatars for selected members 🙂

AlexSimon

Adding a note/tag next to username would be good – for example someone might want to add ‘local’, ‘troll’, ‘rides same bike’, ‘shock expert’, ‘prev username=’ or that kind of thing.

kayak23

Little clickable links at the bottom of the thread back to bike forum, chat forum, for sale or whatever…
    There is ‘Forum Overview’ further down but it all needs to be just at the bottom of the thread text really.

Its a real PITA not being able to go back to where you left a thread easily…

Avatars would be nice yes, its like seeing a friendly face 🙂

maccruiskeen

In the column that shows the number of posts for each thread I’d like an additional column that shows the percentage of posts on that thread that are from TJ 🙂

maccruiskeen

Little clickable links at the bottom of the thread back to bike forum, chat forum, for sale or whatever…
    There is ‘Forum Overview’ further down but it all needs to be just at the bottom of the thread text really.

ditto that, the one at the bottom is too far down, something just above the reply box would be ideal

chvck
    Free Member

Also, if anyone is that way inclined and can be arsed then feel free to contribute any ideas you have: https://github.com/chvckd/STW-Extender-Tools/tree/

GrahamS

Option to sort the “Recent Replies” table on the Forum Activity page by Most Recent rather than You Replied.

I know when I replied, I want to see if anyone has replied more recently.

imnotamused
    Free Member

Ok, instead of email notification, how about and ability to notify within the browser if keywords are found and similarly if a reply has been posted to a thread you’ve contributed to, then do the same for Google Chrome mobile browser if it exists?

chvck
    Free Member

Ok, instead of email notification, how about and ability to notify within the browser if keywords are found and similarly if a reply has been posted to a thread you’ve contributed to, then do the same for Google Chrome mobile browser if it exists?

That would all need to be server side at stw towers unfortunately, not possible from a client side really, or at least not that i can think of.

allthepies
    Free Member

Something which changes all TJ’s posts and adds in “IMHO” at the end of each sentence.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL!

redthunder
    Free Member

Dobbo – Member

I never knew that 🙂 Ta Muchly.

thebunk

I did something similar through a greasemonkey script ages ago – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/stw-killfile-plugin

I’d started work on an update with unread posts and click to view new posts too, like this:

Unfortunately work/life got in the way – might start to work on it again but will wait to see what the new forum brings, as I suspect it will break it all.

chvck
    Free Member

I wasn’t aware that there was a new forum tbh! The way that this forum seems to operate means that my extension is written pretty rigidly to get stuff from it!

avdave2

Forcing posted urls to open in a new tab when clicked. = Middle button

+1

redthunder
    Free Member

Assigning an avatar to your user name would be cool. Always scrolling up and up and down looking for my last post.

Sorta like a marker.

Cougar

Holding Control down also works. And Shift opens a new browser instance (in Firefox at any rate).

wwaswas

Assigning an avatar to your user name would be cool. Always scrolling up and up and down looking for my last post.

I have a ‘P’ next to mine to make it stand out from posts by the riff-raff 😉

rondo101
    Free Member

Didn’t know about the middle button thing, which is great when using a mouse, but no good on a laptop. And whilst holding ctrl down, or right click & “open in new tab” work, it would be easier if I didn’t have to.

scaredypants

Holding Control down also works. And Shift opens a new browser instance (in Firefox at any rate).

there’s an addon that lets you open links in a new tag with a right click (or you hold down the right button for normal “right-click” options menu)

GrahamS

I never knew that

Didn’t know about the middle button thing

Honestly, some people clearly don’t spend enough time idly browsing the internet 😀
    What do you do with your lives?

While we’re at it: the middle button also closes tabs (middle click on the tab you want closed).

Oh and it also works for bookmarks (in Firefox anyway), middle click on a bookmark to open it straight into a new tab.

allthepies
    Free Member

Submitted some mods to the original….

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t have a middle button (laptop). Doing it the other ways is more hassle. Would much prefer all links to open in new tab, as they do on most other forums (though doubtless lots of big hitters will be on shortly to tell me I’m wrong and the STW forum is wonderful just the way it is).

ebygomm
    Free Member

Holding Control down also works

Cool, learned something new today, my right button is borked since a coffee/laptop incident and in the past I would have right clicked and opened in a new tab

allthepies
    Free Member

though doubtless lots of big hitters will be on shortly to tell me I’m wrong

You are wrong, hold down control and left click. Sorry if moving your left hand to the control key is too much hassle 🙂

restless
    Free Member

On a different forum i use you can hover the curser over the thread title and it will show you the first few sentences of that thread, so you don’t have to bother opening it if it doesn’t appeal.

That is what I would like to see on here 🙂

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Forum Extension Tools’ is closed to new replies.