Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • All you roadies, what light weight, easily pocketable rain jacket do you use?
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

I have been looking for ages for a decent light weight waterproof jacket to carry around in my rear jersey pocket while out on the road bike but cant really see anything that packs away small enough.

Any suggestions as I think I may be looking in the wrong places.

Ta

thomthumb
    Free Member

montane velo h20. can get sweaty though.

jonba
    Free Member

Montane velo. Not the H20 version so it is only really windproof. It’s tiny and keeps the worst of the weather off while not being boil in the bag. I stay dry enough that I don’t get cold even in torrential downpours on the Northumbrian hills.

If it looks a bit colder I’ve normally started off with a windproof gillet and the two combined have been good enough for winter.

lazybike
    Free Member

montane velo h20. can get sweaty though.

+1

njee20
    Free Member

I get wet.

cheshirecat
    Free Member

Montane Featherlite for me. Not really waterproof, but Pertex, so OK.

If it looks a bit colder I’ve normally started off with a windproof gillet and the two combined have been good enough for winter.

this – gilets are great for road.

RickyRah
    Free Member

I get wet.

+1

I’ve got a montane one but I hate wearing it. I much prefer just a gilet to keep the wind off.

FuzzyWuzzy

Endura pakajak, not actually had to use it yet though…

doodlebug
    Free Member

Cracking, foldaway waterproof jacket : http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-sottile-waterproof-jacket/
    I can’t keep it off …..

aP
    Free Member

Castelli race cape. Waterproof, wind proof and breathable via the vents in the back. Works a treat and folds down very small.

traildog
    Free Member

I’ve got a Gore Xenon (I think it is) and it’s very good. Packs small, has a really good cut and is waterproof enough. It is expensive though.

13thfloormonk

I never got on with the cut of Montane, but found Gore fit beautifully, just got scared off by the price!

A nice compromise is the Sportful Hotpack. Its just a windproof but is very water repellant, and packs up tiny, is cheaper than the Gore but fits lovely. Still can’t justify it though so I’m sticking with my Altura Cropton, which is very light and small but fits weird.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Assos climajet ,it’s okay not the best thing they make but it is waterproof and has lasted fairly well.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Rapha Rainjacket. Still get wet.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Altura night vision flite here. Packs down very small, seems to do the job OK.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Altura Pocket Rocket. Stuffs up tiny and appears completely waterproof. A bit sweaty of course but better than some in my experience. Just don’t wear it off-road when virtually new and rip the arm on a bramble 🙄

Gary_M
    Free Member

Rapha rainjacket here too, but the first version though which is a bit more waterproof.

chemister

+1 for pocket rocket, very light & packs up small

peteimpreza

Assos Climajet but it has to be proper pissing down before I put it on.

djglover
    Free Member

I think the montane featherlight is great, when its been treated it has just the right balance of showerproofness and waterproofness for most rainy conditions.

I also think it looks pretty good

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I use a race cape by Shutt VR, quite good water proofing, doesn’t breath too well, alows poeple to still numbers/kit/sponsors, packs down well.

Second the gillet option mentioned above.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Montane Featherlite and a stretchy Look one which is ace(don’t know the model)

Wife has the pocket rocket.

All these are good.

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Altura Cropton

cr500dom
    Free Member

Shutt VR Race cape, lovely bit of kit, and over their sportwool team gear I dont get cold even when it doesnt breathe too well ?
    I have a Montane Featherlite too but never used it yet

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Sportful no rain hotpack. Waterproof, but like all jackets of this type you cook in them.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

montane h20, packs away to utterly nothing. on the negative mine lost all waterproofness within 18months, only worn 2 or 3 times, enquired from montane a)is that normal and b)whats best to reproof… nothing, no reply, not a jot.

love the jacket because of its size, but not montane!

headfirst
    Free Member

An aldi £6 jobby, does a good job of keeping the rain out and easily fits in a jersey pocket.

paddy0091
    Free Member

Think mine was from Aldi ages ago, pretty similar to what Assos offer so it’s just a shower proof shell. It’s called a ‘race cape’ Decathlon do some super lightweight running jackets that are a slim fit – used to have one but lost it! Both of these fold(ed) up small to stick in the back pocket.

How often are you out on the road? I can’t actually remember the last time I needed to wear mine, so maybe shy away from spending too much (unless you want to of course).

Decent (not crud/mtb flinger type) full mudguards are more essential than a jacket, providing you’re wearing enough layers for the temperature of course!

Bez

Castelli Squadra here.

Montane are OK if you have a tail wind and want to freewheel with a sail up.

BadlyWiredDog

Been using a Berghaus Active Shell running jacket, the Rapide. Not super light, but light enough, rolls small enough to pocket and is actually both waterproof and breathable. Works for me.

IA

Not read any of the replies, but I love my montane featherlite velo longtime.

IA

Montane are OK if you have a tail wind and want to freewheel with a sail up.

Contrary to this I find mine a nice snug fit, and I’m farily skinny (6’4″ and 83kg). It is a medium tho, and yet somehow has long enough sleeves, so the sizing is obviously pretty random.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

In terms of pocketable race capes that are small enough to easily fit in a back pocket then the cheapo aldi one is not far off the expensive offerings. It might not be quite as good as what assos or rapha sell, but there is not that much of difference in quality to justify the price difference. Whereas you can really tell the difference in quality when it comes to ‘proper’ waterproofs or softshells rather than stowaway ones.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I bought a Dare2be thing from mandmdirect for £20, it’s pretty much fantastic, but they’ve sold out now.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Castelli Squadra looks like a good option for £40. Saw a Dare 2b Flashlite at go outdoors for £25 but the Castelli Squadra for £35 looks like a great option.

Dan67
    Free Member

I have a Montane velo h20 as well. I have a large which is a bit too big but it packs down super small though

tony_m
    Free Member

An old Rapha Stowaway (now known as the Wind Jacket, apparently). Water-repellant rather than waterproof, but to me breathability is more important than out-and-out waterproofing. Very lightweight and packable, has also survived a trip into a hedge then down the road with only a couple of small holes to show for it.

oldgit
    Free Member

I pack a Montane Velocity, fits in my back pocket with all the other kit. But I only use for long days in full on rain.

wellhung
    Free Member

Rapha Stowaway here as has been said already though more resistant than proof

coopersport1
    Free Member

+1 for Castelli Squadra

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘All you roadies, what light weight, easily pocketable rain jacket do you use?’ is closed to new replies.