Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fort William
  • jtodd109
    Free Member

Off up to Fort William at the end of June. We’re gonna do the Nevis Route, the Witches trail and give the downhill a blast. What other good rides are worth doing up there. Gonna go across to Langan as well.

Cheers JT

doh
    Free Member

thats the local trail centres covered i wouldnt bother with anything else 🙄

Northwind

I can only really help with what isn’t worth doing… the waymarked 10 Under the Ben route is pish. (it’s also quite different to the race routes) Don’t write it off entirely, you can work the fun bits into a lap of the Witches with just a little fireroad bashing, but definately don’t do the whole thing- total waste of time and leg.

Can’t really recommend natural rides round there- we did a nice loop out of fort william, down glen nevis along the Way as far as the military road then back up on the tarmac, and round cow hill- pleasant but nothing amazing tbh.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Stick to the trail centres, there’s hundreds of square miles of nowt up there.

steveh

Natural rides all the way. a day on the lift is worthwhile for some fun, laggan trail centre too but the man made trails at fort bill were pretty disappointing for me.

jtodd109
    Free Member

Cheers lads, probs get a lift pass for a day then do Laggan followed by a couple of the red routes.

Thx JT

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

If you are heading to laggan it is ok but look at the os map and ride off into the hills, tracks , lochs?

Mounty_73

There’s loads of stuff up there….get an OS, simples 🙂

13thfloormonk

Was pretty underwhelmed by the Witches Trails but I’m slowly learning that I just can’t ride trail centres anyway so my opinion mighten’t count for much!

The trail along the side of Loch Morar is pretty spectacular as an out and back, but don’t expect to ride all of it!

Otherwise drive to Kinlochleven and follow the dotted lines on the map, hours of fun.

barrymccull
    Free Member

Depending on where you are staying, and whether or not you prefer natural trails, there is a good cycle from Killiechonate into the Witch’s trails (9 miles or so). It saves driving in and on a clear day the views are spectacular

There’ also loads of trails in Laggan which isn’t that far away.

Barry

Northwind

Being scathing about trail centres is all very nice I’m sure but give a decent alternative eh? “Just get an OS” isn’t going to help the OP much, when you’re visiting an area if you just go exploring with no real clues you’re not likely to find the best stuff. If everyone knows loads of good natural rides there, why not give some advice as a couple of folks have done?

tommygunadam
    Free Member

Tour Of Ben Nevis Route ? Ok if you can hack the hour and a half push and carry section.

http://www.nofussevents.co.uk/userfiles/File/Tour%20de%20Ben%202012.JPG

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fort William’ is closed to new replies.