Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Fork change help. Moving from rigid to suspension
  • Xan
    Free Member

Looking for a bit of assistance for a guy that has started riding with our Club.

He has a Carrera Subway with Rigid forks and is looking to change these for a set of suspension forks. Looking for advice about how much travel he should be looking to go for. Initial thoughts from the information I have seen is that I personally wouldn't run any more than 100mm, but I do not claim to know much about this. I have looked on the net for the manufacturers recommended travel limit but I cant find anything.

Also if there is anyone looking to sell a cheep set of forks can you let me know, and I will pass your details on to the guy. Steerer length is 200mm.

Hope someone can help.

wwaswas

measure the subway forks from the axle to the crown (likely to be either 420mm or 440mm). You're looking to get some suspension forks that, when sagged, are approx the same length.

Xan
    Free Member

Thanks, will get him to do that wwaswas, might post back up for some more advise once he has a few options of forks and see if anyone has any recomendations.

anjs
    Free Member

what is the headset diameter?

Xan
    Free Member

I am assuming that it is a 1 1/8" But that is something I need to check. The axle to crown measurement is 420mm. Am I right in thinking he should be looking for something with about 80mm travel then.

wwaswas

yes, 80mm should be fine – try and get an old SID or something like that from the classifieds would be my advice – any modern fork with that much travel will either be cheap and heavy or expensive and light.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fork change help. Moving from rigid to suspension’ is closed to new replies.