Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Ford S-max opinions please
  • midlifecrashes

Currently have a Honda Stream MPV approaching 100,000 miles, but my sis has offered me her S-max when her new Audi is ready at the end of the month.

The Smax is a 58 reg Titanium diesel(140?) with around 39000 miles. Any feedback from folk who run one?

teagirl
    Free Member

I’ll follow this with interest as I’ve had similar thoughts as we have aging Sharan.

djflexure

Had one for a year and really liked it. Drove very well for a car of that size. Traded it for a Galaxy to get more boot space. Boot footprint for both cars similar but smax roof pitches down so tended to struggle a bit on trips to France in the summer (but we do have 3 kids and tend to take the kitchen sink). I would say go for it.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I got one last June and it’s been excellent. Nice to drive for the size, well equipped, easy seat uppy/downy actions, looks nicer than a traditional box like MPV

Marge
    Free Member

For the size it’s the most enjoyable car to drive…

The Galaxy has more space for sure but starts to feel more like a small bus. In the S-Max you can still have a bit of fun occasionally.
    Nice place to sit for long journeys too.

The new 170ps diesel makes it even better but I’m only allowed the 136ps engine (tax reasons).

hora
    Free Member

**** yeah! I’d love one of those plus you KNOW its from a known-source. You know its providence (to a point as no one can guarantee the future).

Without a doubt. Yes.

GTDave
    Free Member

Excellent car/mpv. Despite the size, you can still hoon about in them! 🙂

Stainypants

We have a new galaxy as we wanted more space and occasionally have to lug grandparents around. I think one of the best things about it and the s-max is probably similar is that you drive in it for six hours with two kids under 3, carrying camping and biking gear for a fortnight and when you get out you feel fresh. We’ve done lots of massive journeys in it ands as Marge says its a nice place to be in.

Nick

stabilizers

Excellent car. I have the 1.8 zetec which is a wee bit more sensible than the titanium. I get very good fuel consumption. You will get a little less mpg but still good. The only thing I would change is to have sliding rear doors but appart from that its great.

jwh
    Free Member

Very good car – I’ve got the 2.2 and its a bit thirsty with my heavy right foot – but on a run you can get 38mpg ish..

The rear seats are easy to take if that ‘bit more room’ is required.
    For the size its a great drive, but be ware of ford electrics / software.
    Its the worst car I have had for software ‘quirks’ (not faults), but things like hanging up the phone can lock out the entire display until the car is turned off / on again….

ps44
    Free Member

We’ve got a 2.0D auto with lots of gadgets. Swallows loads of gear (bikes/windsurf), 5 people very comfortably, 7 ok but really it’s only for kids in the back row except for a short trip. I had four galaxies previously and it’s not much smaller but a much nicer drive. I’ll be getting another one.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

They get very good reviews and look nice IMO, certainly I’ll be looking at them.

rkk01
    Free Member

Very good in many ways, couple of niggling weaknesses. We’ve had a 1.8 td zetec for about 4 years…

Good: great to drive. Even the 1.8 diesel goes well as the engine and six speed box are well matched. Handling is nothing short of amazing for this type of car ( the Fat Max replaced a mk5 golf gti!). Very comfortable – excellent long distance cruiser. Spacious for four. Bikes go on the roof though. Worst mpg 42-44 urban. Best 50+ motorway cruise.

Niggly bits- ford build quality and main dealers… New clutch at 20k and turbo pipe at 50 ( both warranty). Not bad on tyres but they’re unusual size / high load, so expensive. Pads and discs last to about 65k and are ruinous at main dealer prices

midlifecrashes

Cheers all, looks like it’s worth doing. We have three kids and two dogs, plus occasional friends and grandparents, plus mrsmidlife runs the local guides, so there are plenty of occasions to use the third row of seats. There will be occasions still when the roofbox will go on, and we might be persuaded to get a caravan, the Honda was never going to be a good tower with a high revving 1.7 petrol engine on a Civic sized body. MPG doesn’t bother us that much, much more the usability of the seating and reliability. THe car hasn’t had any significant problems and they’ve had it from new.

mosschops
    Free Member

We’ve got that exact car but a 59 plate Took us to the Vendee in France last year with a roofbox + bike on top and 2 kids in the back

Fantastic drive, feels quick handles brilliantly and rides better than most German estates Has never let us down – done v long drives

Terrible on snow on the big wheels but sticks well in the wet

My Dad asked me this weekend if I had any choice of car what would I get and I honestly think it would be the S Max

Lot of Volvo in the car as well think its one of the safest cars made in any class too

Funny when we were looking test drove an A4, Merc C class estate and the Renault Grand Scenic – S Max was the best compromise by far

Your sister will miss it!

rkk01
    Free Member

Ours is a 56 plate so somewhat older. 2 kids, 2 dogs, 4 bikes is normal configuration. For camping we often use a roof box. The long narrow type Thule boxes still give room for 2 bikes up top (mountain mayhem config!!).

If it’s a titanium does it have the glass roof panel? Lovely airy feel with that

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Ford S-max opinions please’ is closed to new replies.