Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • following on from hora's struggling thread
  • mmb
    Free Member

hi, have been reading hora’s thread and would just like to say that even tho i’m not the most popular user on here i would like to do something to help also. now to be honest i’m not exactly wise in the ways of psychology and all that stuff but i do have some very recent experience of bad times/ depression etc with a loved one who’s having shall we say difficulties in that area, however what i do know is that a change is as good as a rest so while i can’t offer any practicle or useful advice i can offer a change in so much as if anyone here just feels the need to sod off somewhere else for a bit of something different why not head down here to the coast for a ride. i’m more than happy to show people around the local trails at weekends so just send an e-mail or reply here if you like. i’m a pretty stable person but even i get a little down sometimes but i’ve always found that a good day’s ride helps me to forget about it and enjoy myself if just for a little while. there’s a nice beach, nice harbour and some good trails here so feel free to contact me and sort something out!.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

don’t put yourself down! thats a kind and generous offer

Pook

good man

mmb
    Free Member

doesn’t seem like i’m doing much to help tho seeing as i ride whenever i can anyway! it is a lovely part of the world tho and i’m more than happy to share it with anyone else.

porter_jamie

good stuff sir.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think it’s commendable that people are offering help to others, even strangers, in any way they can, but a lot of folk on here really need to have a think about how they see all other people, not just those immediately around them or other STWers. They need to step outside their cosy little bubbles a bit, see the real world around them with a bit more objectivity and fairness. The recent ‘laugh at fatties’ thread showed many people to be complete hypocrites; making the right sounds on some threads, playing the ‘compassionate soul’ to gain the approval of others, then going and being utter dicks on others threads. People need to think of their attitudes at all times, not just when it suits their own personal needs.

There isn’t as much casual racism on here as there once was, because many are prepared to challenge such bigotry, but there is still a fair bit of nasty misogyny and casual homophobia. And several people just couldn’t see why it was wrong to be hateful to overweight folk. If you need telling, it shows that you’re ignorant.

So, nice one, mmb, and good on yer. But people, have a bit more of a think about how you perceive others, and how your behaviour may affect them. Banter is one thing; abuse is wrong.

ton

nice one mmb……..top shout.

laughing at fatties seem’s to be the one that is accepted on here and everyone seems to jump on the bandwagon when it rear’s it’s head.

project
    Free Member

MMB, good offer, but sometimes its cash flow that depresses people so having no money means no travel no ride.

But it is kind to offer.

Oh and the laugh at fatties thread, as im a bit heavy, strange the number of fatties who laugh at me, when i come back covered in mud or sweating while they stuff themselves full of fast food.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Thats a lovely offer mmb to all the the people on this forum. I guess there are a few troubled or lonely souls out here that would benefit from your kindness. I don’t know you or Hora but you both should feel proud for having the balls to bare your feelings and offer such unconditional help and friendship in these fragile times we are in.

mmb
    Free Member

actually i’m an 18st fattie myself but i don’t care what others think as i’m pretty thick skinned anyway and i eat too much! ask anyone who knows me, i’m also very much a matter of fact kind of person who sees things in black and white and that often gives people the wrong impression of me, but never mind eh, just get yourselves down here and we’ll do our best to ride our troubles away!.

trailertrash

It’s difficult to judge situations at the best of times, and nigh on impossible on the internet, but recent threads on here suggest that mental health is as much an issue for forum users as it is for the populace as a whole. Jahwomble’s death and the response to that only supports this.

It’s great that people are willing to stick their heads over the parapet and offer help, and good for them. This can be demanding and problematic in practice.

I am sure this will meet with criticism, and that’s fine, and I have no desire to turn STW into a mental health support service (I don’t think any of us do), or to sound slightly OTT on the issue (I am a bit tired at the moment! please feel free to adjust my perspective)……but what might be useful to people on here who are having a hard time and give other people on here a sense of being helpful in some way, is a thread giving “name and number” links to support organisations/individuals for different issues in different area of the country. It might be the case that people are more likely to accept a recommendation or advice from something presented through a favourite MTB forum than from their local Yellow Pages. I really don’t know. It’s just an idea.

It would also concentrate all this stuff in one place rather than having all this messy emotional stuff all over the frickin place. Sheesh….. 🙄

🙂

mmb
    Free Member

just in case you’re wanting to what’s down here to cheer you up a little here’s a some pics

Bunnyhop

mmb – you have just cheered me up just by putting up those lovely pictures. Thankyou.

johnners
    Free Member

Is that your house? It’s a wreck.

thedyslexic1
    Free Member

mmb i was just thinking of what a nice person you must be untill you put the pictures as it is wet and dark out side and i so want to be there now!!!! if the weather is the same in the pics :mrgreen:

p.s i have never hear any one on hear make such a king and generous offer and it shows that there is sill thoughtful people left in the world 8O.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Nice pics! Lulworth Cove, Corfe Castle from Brenscombe Hill and is that a view of Poole harbour somewhere near Arne?

I’ve done the isle of Purbeck loop a few times – hilly, especially the climb up to Kingston! 😉

I’m envious, but mmb, you are a good soul to offer people a bit of a break!

Elfinsafety

Banter is one thing; abuse is wrong.

– pot, kettle!!

NZCol

If anyone wants some sun we’ve got a spare room and I’m fckn awesome on the BBQ so if you fancy some mice trails strange beer and less Australians than London – nz is where it’s at folks.

And big love to all, people are great and you are all frickin great so just remember that.

mmb
    Free Member

It is a view of poole harbour, taken from the arne nature reserve on the wareham side with my old cake genesis one in the foreground.

DezB
    Free Member

Sure is a great area to ride in to make one forget about one’s woes.
    Nice one mmb.

binners

Does anyone need a hug?* 😀

Seriously – I think it’d be worth planning a northerners trip down there. Any of the other uncouth reprobates fancy it?

I love that part of the world. I used to spend quite a lot of (very happy) times there as a mate had a flat in Poole. Cheers for perking me up mmb. I’m thinking about happy memories now

* Hora excepted, obviously. He always tries to feel my bum

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘following on from hora's struggling thread’ is closed to new replies.