Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Flow Rims, what do I need now for UST?
  • GSuperstar
    Free Member

Ok, so lets say I’ve just bought some Stans ZTR Flow Hoops, what else do I need to buy for them to make them usable with UST tyres??

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Yellow tape
    Valve
    Sealant
    Track pump and elbow grease or a compressor

GSuperstar
    Free Member

So,
    This

and

this?

I already have track pump and sealant.

Thanks

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MrGreedy

Yup, you want the 25mm tape for Flows. Went up dead easy for me with tubeless-ready Maxxis so should be a piece of cake with USTs.

cynic-al
    Free Member

yes…I just use old valves from burst inners.

I’d heard there was a DIY tape that worked but I couldn’t find one, that’s pretty cheap for a few wheels (but not 2!)

Northwind

One of my rims has standard (well, good quality) electric tape just now as I mangled the yellow tape taking a tight downhill tyre off. Works just as well but doesn’t last as long, the glue gives up the ghost after 6 months or so.

Not that proper yellow tape is expensive tbh so worth just doing it right. Recommended to give the rim bed a quick scour with a scotchbrite pad (£1 from Tesco) and a clean with isopropyl alcohol or brake cleaner before you tape up.

Oh, and a good track pump. My old Joe Blow made things much harder than they should have been, it’s a really quality item and great for road tyres but it doesn’t push much air. My horrible cheapo Air Towers deliver more than twice as much volume per stroke, that makes a huge difference.

Garry_Lager

cynic-al – Member

yes…I just use old valves from burst inners.Does that work OK? Do you need to put an O-ring or something down the stem for it to press against from the inside, or just cut out the valve and press it in?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I do what Al does. Works fine! You just tighten the valve down against the tape. It depends on the valve shape as to whether it gets a good seal. It’s sometimes worth using 2 lockrings to keep the valves in place too.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I do something similar with electrical tape, and a combination of either Mavic UST valves or old tube valves. Just make sure I use the little rubber O-ring that goes down the valve shaft on the outside & it’s good to go 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

3m strapping tape.

HarveyStedham
    Free Member

I have model car fibreglass battery tape on mine. Seems to hold up ok, but does seem to react a little with the sealant so needs changing every now and then (maybe lasts 6-9 months or so). So i have bought some proper stans stuff for when i service the wheels.

I think i too will be trying old inner tube valves soon, i have cut one up ready (has a nice oval shaped thick rubber at the stem so should work well!) as the price of stans valves is, frankly stupid! Its just a valve yet costs more then a whole tube!

As for pumping up, id always recommend to seat the tyre on the rim, to take out the valve core, then the tyre goes up real easy, even with a track pump.

Back to the top – most people dont run UST tyres on stans rims, normally go for lighter conventional tyres/tubeless compatible, but you can use UST all the same will just be even tougher! Handy if you are heavier and/or ride a lot of sharp rock gardens etc.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Flow Rims, what do I need now for UST?’ is closed to new replies.