Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • flatties fight back
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

utter Bollox

OK then, so why do diceplins that rely on sprinting use exclusively SPDs? And why would anyone wear SPD’s for downhill if there was no power advantage over flats?

GW
    Free Member

Track is the only discipline I can think of that relies on sprinting exclusivly.
    or did you mean 4X/BMX? in both 4X and BMX the tracks are not technical enough and winning relies heavily on the initial gate start. this is where the advantage comes from clipping in. not picking up speed out of corners. if you look at the first X-games DH BMX Supercross races almost all the top BMXers chose to go back to flats as the jumps were massive.
    there is clearly no advantage in using SPDs for DH anymore, look through tha last few years results in WC competition if you don’t believe me. SPDs do offer a different way of moving the bike around and controlling it and let you not have to think about your feet as they are mechanically attached. there is very little flat sprinting in modern DH racing, thank ****.

IanW
    Free Member

Guys, this is only a discussion about bicycle pedals. My posts are my experience, yours may be different.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

Cheers

Northwind

I think the point me and GW was trying to make is a bit lost here- the reason that was your experience wasn’t anything to do with flats, just technique, so if you turn your back on flats based on your experience so far you may be missing out on something. The issues you’re having are not flats issues.

GW
    Free Member

Well going back to answering the original question.

IanW – Member
    Will going back to flat pedals from spd’s make me a lot slower?

Yes you will definitely become slower by going back to flats, by self admission you don’t really know how to ride with them.

TiRed

I ride these.
    Best of both worlds?

sharki
    Free Member

There are no real performance benefits from and average rider using spd or flats(good flat/shoe combo) for the sort of riding most of us do.

Dh’ers will favour Flat as will jumpers.

For most xc/trail riders, the average rider will prefer the ‘attached to the bike’ feeling you get from spds, giving them confidence and reassurance, especially on very rough stuff, more so on a hard tail. IMHO

Where as other riders will find the ‘attached to the bike’ less confident inspiring, worried if it goes wrong they may not unclip in time.

Of course, there’s also the image side of it, flats look cool, most the top riders (DH/ freeride) wear them so it makes you look down with the kids and therefore become a fashion detail.

Another point that may be the reason for the increased popularity of flats, could well be related to the increase in the popularity of mountain biking.

With more and more people riding bikes in their many guises, the amount of new and less confident riders increases, most of these riders will choose flats, either through choice or because alot of starter mtbs come with flats.
    Some will progress to trying spds, many will go back to flats.

Back to the OP, flats may at first make you a little slower, but with time you should learn better bike handling technique(this may need to be coached to you) and therefore you’ll become a smoother rider, this will in fact make you faster without realising it.

Happy trails.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

I predict you may not be freaked out by wet roots, like the other mincers. 😉

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/does-anyone-get-really-freaked-out-by-wet-roots

IanW
    Free Member

Ok chaps just to recap, Ive tried them out and experienced the benefits of being able to bailout quicker especially uphill. I also liked being able to just jump on the bike and ride.

On the down side I found with my type of riding 1 or 2 hour xc races I wasnt securely fastened to the pedals to keep the power coming through rough terrain.

Can anyone describe the technique required to overcome this using flats.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Ian, if I race (xc) I’ll put my spd pedals on my bike.

Otherwise I’ll use flatties. Much preferring them but has taken a fair bit of getting used to them.

On the rough stuff, I’m finding I have my feet further forward on the pedal; ball on foot on axle. I dip my heels too and this creates all the grip I need.

Have a go; it’s transformed my jumping technique (not that it could have been much worse!)

tree-magnet
    Free Member

I ride both. Flats on the pump bike and DH bike, spuds on the trail and XC bike. I’ve got no opinion either way to be honest, however:

there is clearly no advantage in using SPDs for DH anymore, look through tha last few years results in WC competition if you don’t believe me.

is quite clearly balls. Fort William, this years top 5 (although the photos are sourced from multiple events);

Gee Atherton (1), Mallets:

Cameron Cole (2), Mallets:

Greg Minaar (3), Mallets:

Aaron Gwin (4), SPDs:

Michael Hannah (5), Mallets:

Northwind

tree-magnet – Member

“is quite clearly balls. Fort William, this years top 5 (although the photos are sourced from multiple events);”

Course, if Sam Hill hadn’t crocked himself he’d have won, on flats 😉 Gee Atherton rides both dependant on the course.

chamley
    Free Member

Haha that theory is balls! Chris Kovarik, Fort William 2002, won by 14 seconds in the wet on, wait for it….. flats!

chiefgrooveguru

Can anyone describe the technique required to overcome this using flats.

Keep your lower leg and ankle relaxed often with your heels down (sometimes front heel down rear heel up, occasionally both up – it depends on which direction force is being applied). Riding with flats promotes being more relaxed and flowy if you’re going to keep up with clipped-in riders over rough ground.

I doubt many on here ride horses as well but flat pedal stability is much like stirrup stability – and there isn’t an option of clip-in stirrups so you have to develop good technique.

I think for all sorts of racing clips make sense – but once you’re at that level good technique should be already instilled!

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I’m pretty convinced that Sam Hill would be quicker if he’d learnt to ride on SPDs. They just are faster.

I’m happy on both- I use flats on my bouncy bike, but I’m becoming more disenchanted with them with every ride.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Gee won at Fort Bill on clips, then won at Champery on flats. Good bike rider, just rode what was most appropiate for the course. Oh and Gwin is renowned for his ability to swap between flats and clips in between runs.
    I started SPDs, went to flats, now back on clips again. Even use clips for DH. Still use the flats for messing about and odd ride to remind myself how to ride a bike properly.
    I do try and use the upstroke to power as well, but also trying to apply power for as much of the circle as possible. You can’t do that with flats. I found concentrating on making smooth circles, rather than just mashing the pedals, was great when I done a couple of TTs this summer.

martinh
    Free Member

I’m the opposite of Spokes. Switched to flats this year and am happier with them every ride.

chutney13
    Free Member

when i used flats again i did slow down, but it has helped my spd riding because it forces the technique, now i like to swop and change. for a short ride i keep flats on and if i’m going out all day i’d use spds.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘flatties fight back’ is closed to new replies.