• This topic has 53 replies, 39 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by ton.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • flat pedals……….my ar5e!
  • owenfackrell
    Free Member

When you see someone unclip, midair, because they’ve just yanked the bike off the floor with their cleats, then not have the slightest clue what to do about it, before crashing and burning, THEN you’ll know what I mean!

I can bunny hop very well on flats (and even uncliped on spd pedals) but find that some times when using my spd’s that there are times when it is to late do anything but pull the bike up with the pedals. I found the bigest problem with flats was that when climbing and on the flat i would pull my foot of the pedal on the up stroke.

el_creedo
    Free Member

I ride DX flats and have ridden without toe clips / spds ever since 1994; I almost always (and apologies to my riding buddies if they see this) beat my cleated riding companions up hill and on flat bits.
    Also very handy on stepping stones across raging torrents; stiles; pushing up very steep stuff; and scrambling up Dartmoor Tors!

Rode with SPD’s for about 6months on my commuter – and was defo (a lot) quicker; but my knees started killing me (Condromalachia or something apparently) so had to stop using them.

I agree that this will be debated forever; but – going back to the original thread startup – I think you really ought to use them for more than one ride before condemning flatties as a pile of ar5e!

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I must admit, flats are looking like a good option.

I went out last night and halfway round the ride, one of my cleats wouldn’t disengage.

I ended up having to rip my shoe off the pedal, which left me clipped in on the left and free on the right, my shin took a right pounding!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BigDummy
    Free Member

Flats, spds and even (whisper it) clips and straps or powergrips all have their uses. 🙂

D0NK

Nearly everyone who ride spds say unclipping is not a problem in crashes (me included) so as far as I can see there’s no advantage to using flats on your normal rides and several advantages to spds (better power, better connection, the ability to just pull the bike up last minute). Yes I learned to ride on flats and I learn’t to bunny hop on them too but i ride spds all the time now.

Riding flats occasionally is a good idea to teach/remind you to bunny hop properly but its a pain switching pedals round.

molgrips
    Free Member

When you see someone unclip, midair, because they’ve just yanked the bike off the floor with their cleats, then not have the slightest clue what to do about it, before crashing and burning, THEN you’ll know what I mean!

Been there, done that – learned not to! And I learned that before I ever rode flats on MTB.

I set my Mrs riding with flats on her first mtb. As soon as she gained any tech expertise she asked for SPDs, despite having never worn them and despite my warnings that she’d end up falling over a few times at first. And she did fall over and fall halfway down a hillside which shook her up a bit, but she still wants to keep them becuause they help her so much on the climbs.

As for people who say ‘I can out climb my mates on flats when they are on spds’ that means nothing, you’re just a better rider than them. Olly Beckinsale on flats will thrash me on SPDs, however there are things I can’t clean on flats that are fairly easy on SPDs. Likewise I do stuff on the downs on flats that I don’t want to attempt with SPDs.

bomberman
    Free Member

i like the way people say flats are good for “messing about” like they’re no good for “proper” riding. dont think sam hill was messing about when he won the UCI world cup on flats! downhill racers are athletes you know – sammy boy could kick most of your wrinkly asses on uphills even if you were wearing SPDs!

burmaboy
    Free Member

Flat pedals are shite when mountain biking. unless you are dirt jumping. (which I do aswell)
    Spds give you way more control when bombing down tehnical stuff. The more points you have connected with the bike the more welly you can give it round corners. Spds are so much more efficient to!!

However I ride bmx a lot and can bunny hop about 2.5ft on my flat plastic pedals.

mountaincarrot
    Free Member

So some years ago, I got bounced right out of my (then flat) pedals (ouch) on a downhill, and vowed never to use them again.

OK then you flatties, – So what was I doing wrong? (Gravity too weak?)

SPD’s ever since and never looked back.

molgrips
    Free Member

DHers use SPDs for some courses and flats for others.

mboy
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

Who gives a toss about good technique, I ride to enjoy myself, if that is done with no skill or imense skill, the end result is the same, I can still get down the mountain as quick as the next man….

ooooooh, that sounds VERY much like a challenge to me! 😛

chakaping
    Free Member

Probably should have had a go on the flats before spunking out for 5:10s.

I’ve been riding flats for more than a year and I’m still weighing up whether they’ll be worth the (hefty) investment.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tools for the job, as I keep saying.

ton

right then, anyone want some size 12 5-10s look over there >>>>>>>

i tried them again today, god i hate em.
    your feet are never in the correct position.
    i find that i spend the the 1st 5 minutes trying to get my feet in the same position when i set off. 😥

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘flat pedals……….my ar5e!’ is closed to new replies.