Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Flat pedals?
  • bigben69
    Free Member

Im thinking of givin flat pedals a go instead of spds.

Want something that looks good and well made…

Cheers.

haribojangles
    Free Member

superstar nano pedals are awesome. light, wide really grippy and all for under £50!!! Plus they always win the grouptests

creamegg
    Free Member

I have straitlines and superstar nanaos. Both are good but the straitlines are clear favourites and worth the extra cash in my opinion.

hsmith
    Free Member

im using nukeproof electrons at the moment, had them for 7 months or so and having no problems with them, yeah i know that strictly speaking theyre plastic bit theyve taken some big impacts and only scuffed or dented them. lightweight and super grippy and theyre only about 35 quid!

xiphon
    Free Member

Burgtec penthouse flats over here. heavy, but you can smash them on rocks without a worry…

Coyote
    Free Member

Crank Bros 50/50 on one bike, Gusset Slim Jims on the other. 50/50s just shade it for me.

Rickos
    Free Member

DMR Vaults. Big platform, thin, excellent.

warpcow
    Free Member

Exotic ones (on Ebay) are the same as Superstar, and a little cheaper too. I wouldn’t look beyond them if you’re just testing flats.

honourablegeorge

I have DMR Vaults, Point one Podiums and older Straitlines on different bikes – Vaults are the best of the three.

The Superstar ones are also very good – they can be had even cheaper at carboncycles.cc too

EDIT – carboncycles.cc are the Exotic ones mentioned above, free postage too.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

i’m running some of those carbon cycles ones at the mo.
    seem pretty good so far.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Nukeproof neutrons – made the same spd to flats switch with these and they do the job.

proberts
    Free Member

DMR vaults +1 !!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Wellgo MG1. £20 on the bay if you scan around. Never felt the need to get anything else.

jonba
    Free Member

My superstar nanos seem to get sloppy bushings after 12 months. Been a bit disappointed so might look elsewhere next time. Had some good Wellgo ones before now. I’ve got some MG1 that I’ve been really happy with. They go on my full suss when I don’t want spds on.

HermanShake
    Free Member

The carbon cycles pedals are a smidge smaller than the nanos, each brand’s variant seems subtly different. I use Kona wah-wahs which weigh less than nano thrus are more open and have the same pins. They were about £35 from ebay, keep your eyes peeled.

I really recommend them, very comfortable and grippy. They can all be serviced with the same axle and bearing kits which is a plus!

professor_fate
    Free Member

+1 for my Nano’s, much less hassle than my dmr v8’s which need frequent adjusting (there’s open bearings for you…)

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Mag1 user here. Light pedals. Apparently they break if you smash them into rocks a lot. I’d beg to differ with my Wellgo Mag1’s Being about five years old and till going strong.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I run DMR Vaults and Superstar Nanotech thru pin.

The Vaults are better and look really nice. Not twice as good as the SS ones but certainly my choice of the two.

Northwind

Wellgo MG1s on one bike- nice, good size platform, tons of grip, light, but pretty thick. People seem nervous of the magnesium body but both pairs I’ve had were tough as old boots- the current set does have a slightly distorted edge but that’s all, after a couple of years of clumsiness

Another has mag-bodied Nanos- wouldn’t recommend these if you ever bash rocks, the cage is very soft so they shed pins like it’s going out of fashion (I’ve only ever lost a single pin from my 2 sets of MG1s, but I’ve lost at least half a dozen from the Nanos, and 2 on teh first ride). But still- thin, durable apart from the pins thing, reliable, and not too pricey.

The alu Nanos are the same really, except without the pin thing, and heavier obviously. Good kit but they offend my weightweenie sensibilities.

Nukeproof plastic ones- didn’t like these much at all, even with the pins screwed all the way out the contact just never felt good- I think a lot of my weight was going on the raised axle bit, rather than teh pins.

bigben69
    Free Member

Thanks for all your info guys,…!
    Reading some reviews on many pedals grip and pedals stroke is the main area,… I saw these…..? Canfield Crampon….

xiphon
    Free Member

Canfield Crampon pedal review @ SDH.

Website’s down for maintenance, but here’s Google’s cache of it -> http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:w5i6vRu9RT4J:www.southerndownhill.com/reviews/pedals/canfield-crampons-pedals-review.html+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Aristotle
    Free Member

Just get the Wellgo “V8” for about 10-12 quid.

They do the job.

bigben69
    Free Member

Cheers xiphon,… just seen these aswell. Spank Spike….

pussywillow
    Free Member

Yep, nano’s.

bwaarp
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Spank Spikes. They are very nice.

transporter13
    Free Member

Old skool 24/7 slacks pedals here

Never felt the need to buy any others

mrelectric

Might be slightly off topic, but I’ve just got some Crank Mallet 3 2012 which seem to combine the best of both flat & clips.
    Flat platform with pins is about right size, with clip in for climbing. Used the previous versions for a few years; these are better.

skiboy
    Free Member

I got two bikes set up with Point one podiums, bit spensive but you pay for what you get,

also have some mag-ti protons for sale on the bay, real good too.

Northwind

Aristotle – Member

Just get the Wellgo “V8” for about 10-12 quid.

They do the job.

Not very well, though, and IME not for particularily long either- my MG1s have outlasted my old V8s better than 2:1, and were lighter, and bigger, and gripper too.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedals?’ is closed to new replies.