Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Flat pedal users – do you get cold feet?
  • Pieface

Always get cold feet using SPDs whatever the combo. Went for a run today wearing sealskinz and feet were toasty all the time.

Is it worth swapping to flats in winter for warmth? I have a couple of thoughts on why it might be a good idea –

Your feet move around alot more on the pedals – you're feet and held in place and can move around more

You don't have a metal plate in the bottom of your shoe conducting heat from the pedal.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I hadn't thought about that aspect of using flats, but I usually only get cold feet when they get wet

lister

My Vans are thin and quite cold, but I have a pair of old Etnies skate shoes that are really well padded (including a fairly think sole) an I can wear a good thick pair of bridgedale socks in them…toasty, even in the snow.

It also helps to spill some outdoor wood varnish on the toe boxes of your trainers when treating your garden furniture…it makes them really waterproof while still being flexible 🙂

TheSwede
    Free Member

Funny you should say that, I wore flats out the other day on a xc ride due to really sore ankles and deep snow. Never usually use them except on DH days or for doing sill stuff but my feet were snuggly buggly. 5 10's with seal skins. I normal get very cold or numb toes in the winter with spd's.

Pieface

Are Wellgo copies of the DMRs any good? They're about £10 on CRC. I guess they're a good bet for trying this theory out.

deserter
    Free Member

I don't use spd's but recently bought 5-10's for my flats and my feet are always warm,they are really thick

ton

5/10s and woolsock and you feet will be toastie.
    feet get cold in spd's cos your feet do not move, and no blood get's pumped into them, in flats your feet move all the time keeping them warm..

Jamie
    Free Member

I always wear my DCs on flats. Feet were like ice towards the end of a 30 mile ride yesterday, but then that was because they were covered in snow that melted through. Usually they are just fine.

chakaping
    Free Member

I suffer cold feet too, and ride a mixture of flats and Time 'platform' clipless.

I've been trying to judge this while riding recently and so far I think there may be something in it, but it's not nearly so important as other factors like nice socks or not having tight shoes.

I do tend to unclip a lot for technical bits while riding clipless thogh.

Pieface

i always thought the problem was tight shoes, but my running shoes were quite tight so I think its the moving of feet thing thats important here. Useful to hear from people who suffer using both systems.

lister

pieface, i only use wellgo pedals, they do the job really well if you're happy not having a 'named' pedal!

Pieface

Cool. I'll order a set.

Radioman

I think you are correct Chapaking. Cold feet nearly always are due to tight fitting shoes with little isulation. Tight fitting shoes stop blood circulating properly and have no room for small pockets of air to insulate. SPD users tend to strap themselves tightly into shoes for maximum pedal efficiency. If you bought a pair of larger SPD winter boots and used them with Ski socks i'm sure you would have no problem.

I use flat pedals and 5 ten shoes. These are fairly loose fitting and in winter I can wear ski socks to keep warm. the only problem is water! 5 ten shoes are not watertight! If its cold and wet I have to wear sealskinz socks. Then the advantage of the loose fitting shoes' air insulation is lost. When its not wet I never get cold feet though.

Jamie
    Free Member

lister:
    pieface, i only use wellgo pedals, they do the job really well if you're happy not having a 'named' pedal!

'Wellgo' is a name surely?

dogmatix

went out today in 5.10's sealskinz socks and didn't feel a thing and i spent some of the time walking around in ankle deep snow.

So maybe flats are better… even though 5.10's are kinda made for DH they are bloody great for XC too as give you a bit more grip on the up stroke. Nothing like spds of course but still better than normal shoes.

Rogman
    Free Member

I use Time 'Platform' clip in pedals with a good quality Merino wool sock (Smartwool) and a 1mm thick neoprene overshoe. This combination seems to do the trick for me.

Radioman

Agree . I use 5 tens for all riding(except on my road bike!). I Like the fact that with flats you can change pedal position too. I gave up SPDs quite a few years ago. I dont think i'd ever go back.

Pieface

May re-visit overshoes. Never liked the toe popping off though

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I've tried various socks. Still get wet cold feet. Now I wear a decent quality sandwich food bag in between socks when its bitterly cold. Works for me.

Rogman
    Free Member

Pieface, I always used overshoes when I used to be out on a road bike and just transferred this over to MTB. Overshoes not only keeps your feet dry, shoes clean but stops the wind, I swear by them, however the socks are important.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I don't get cold feet,use SPDs exclusively and when it's cold and wet,wear North Wave boots and Woolie Boolie socks.

Pieface

FWIW I've been using Shim MW90s(?) for the last 3 years with wooly boolies, seal skinz (normal and thermal) with thinsulate inner sole to no avail. Todays run got me thinking. Granted the boots would probably help by being a size larger, but then they'd be no good for spring / autumn. £10 pedals alot cheaper than new beets.

I think I have circulation problems. Did think I'd get cold feet today due to tight fitting running shoes with the Sealskinz but no problems. I think more foot movement could be key.

slowrider
    Free Member

wellgos are good, i got a pair with ti axles of ebay for fifty quid, the standard ones are half that.

i dont get cold feet, my mates who ride spd's do. i wonder if its the cleat and the subsequent holes? they said the coldness sometimes starts there.

cinnamon_girl

Flats, 5 10's and Seal Skinz – feet always warm.

Any suggestions for keeping ice off flat pedals? Lots of slippage today!

Pieface

slowrider – the thinsulate insoles were to try and reduce this. The MW90 boots have a full sock liner of gore-tex so the holes are less of an issue, but still got a steel plate. The winter insole didn't solve anything.

Cinnamongirl – I see there's a compromise somewhere then!

Bert
    Free Member

I used to get really cold feet when riding (clipless). I have recently got some Endura MT500 overshoes and they make such a difference. My feet are still toasty warm at the end of a ride.

Ti29er
    Free Member

My Candys have been a pain all winter.
    Clipped in but when clipped out the snow freezes to the cleats.
    Damn nuisance trying to clip back in again.

I tried flats with some Meindl 3 season walking boots locally and stayed warm.
    I always wear the Sealskins Merino wool socks + in this weather a very thin inner sock too.
    Plus the MT500 over booties.

Clipped in, I do get cold feet.
    Flats, not so.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Pieface – Member

FWIW I've been using Shim MW90s(?) for the last 3 years with wooly boolies, seal skinz (normal and thermal) with thinsulate inner sole to no avail. Todays run got me thinking. Granted the boots would probably help by being a size larger, but then they'd be no good for spring / autumn. £10 pedals alot cheaper than new beets.

I think I have circulation problems. Did think I'd get cold feet today due to tight fitting running shoes with the Sealskinz but no problems. I think more foot movement could be key.

would you not need some new Shoes tho will?

igm

Ski socks and Shimano MT90 Goretex boots here

big-chief-96
    Free Member

never but i normally wear thick socks 😉

Sandwich

Make sure you don't overtighten any neoprene cuff on the boot, a lesson learned at Christmas the hard way. Normal pedalling should keep blood flowing through your feet as leg muscles do the return journey pump from the feet as long as the cuff is not too tight..

Pieface

Rob – I have plenty of other shoes to try this out. Not going to spend £60 on some shoes that I only use twice.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

do you want to borrow some DMR V12s to try?

Pieface

Sounds good – but how can I get to yours from here? Might be easiest to just get the Wellgo's and let the Royal mail sort that issue for me.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

up to you. snow is shocking round here – 4ft drifts on the main rd! Ice up the hill to monsal head

jackthedog
    Free Member

Any suggestions for keeping ice off flat pedals? Lots of slippage today!

Maybe you could use a dynamo to power a heating element attatched to the pedal which could keep them defrosted.

billyboy
    Free Member

I have used flats for ages because I couldn't find a comfortable SPD shoe that would keep my feet warm in winter or give me adequate grip for the rocky footslog scrambles Lakeland, Scotland etc often nescessitate. Having said that I always used to get desperately cold feet on long commutes even using Fell Boots.

During this cold snap I have been using a combo of Bridgedale liner socks with Endura loop stitch socks with the same Fell Boots and I seem to have finally cracked it.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

ATM Preferring flat pedals for dabbing and hiking books for warmth and climbing through snow drifts. Forgot my gaiters yesterday and the kept filling with snow. Grip's not great though.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I have 5 10 highs & I wear two pairs of thick socks, one pair of fleece lined and then sealskinz over them. even in wet cold conditions my feet still stay warmish.

cheese@4p

Ive always suffered with cold feet in the past,tried various sock shoe combos always with SPDs to no avail.
    This weekend I experimented with flat pedals and hiking boots – lovely and warm feet after 4 hours out in thick snow. Result

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Flat pedal users – do you get cold feet?’ is closed to new replies.