• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by igm.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Fixing tubeless tyre with patches
  • coolbeanz
    Free Member

Hi,
    I picked up a 5mm slash across the middle of the tyre tread on today’s ride. The hole won’t seal. I’ve tried using those salami style repair kits for similar punctures in the past, but they didn’t work. I’d like to try tubeless repair patches. Are they any good and are there any that you would recommend in particular?
    Cheers,
    Pete

Klunk
    Free Member

never had any issues repairing cuts under the tread with patches. sidewalls another matter 🙁

euain

I’ve used normal patches (patch and glue as you’d use for a tube) in the past. Never had a problem with them. Give that a go if you have them lying about? Have to clean the inside of the tyre well, light sand and wash with solvent (thinners, was what I used, I think) worked for me.

coolbeanz
    Free Member

I’ve tried normal inner tube patches in the past. Didn’t end well on larger cuts (3mm+). The patch would blister through the cut once the tyre was inflated and eventually pop once ridden on. Perhaps if you gluded a piece of rubber (like a piece of downhill inner tube) over the patch from inside the tyre it would be better able to resist the pressure and hold.

coolbeanz
    Free Member

…unless the Rema patches I used are particularly flimsy.

I’m hoping that the tubeless specific ones are a lot tougher.

mildbore

+1 for inner tube patches inside the tyre. Used many a time, never a problem

carlos
    Free Member

What SSStu says for sure.

Mended a 6mm sidewall slash with one of those and at least a couple of mid tread cuts that wouldn’t seal. Both good jobs and held air from the off.

I clean the tyre with soapy water, dry, very light sand, spray with brake cleaner, let throughly dry, good glue, pop through mushroom, squidge of glue on the mushroom base, pull through, leave to set/dry, trim plug to just below tread or to about 3mm on the sidewall.

Edit – coolbeans – if you drop me your address via email (mines in my profile) I’ll pop a mushroom like above in the post to you

coolbeanz
    Free Member

carlos, many thanks for the kind offer. I’ve already ordered some Velux tubeless repair patches. However, if those fail, I’d be keen to to try the mushroom and will be in touch 🙂

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I have cut up an old high roller and have had some success glueing cut up sections of the sidewalls on the inside of big cuts.

weeksy

I watched a prog recently where some guy used a lighter and a latex glove… it was awsome 🙂

Stuff glove in, set on fire… it melted brilliantly.

He pumped it up, rode off.

I have no idea how long it would or wouldn’t last though.

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Love the latex glove solution.

Not sure I’m brave to try it though…

stevextc
    Free Member

The specific tyre repair stuff is just superglue…. which isn’t very flexible … and as someone pointed out a normal patch will sorta squeeze/bubble

I combined both… superglued the actual tyre and then used a normal inner-tube patch on the inside…

Only done about 100 miles so far… but so far its holding

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Quick update: I used the Velox Tubeless Repair Kit to fix three 3-4mm cuts on two tyres, including one very pesky one right by the bead of my Schwalbe Rock Razor. The patches appear to have worked a treat. They’re much thicker than standard inner tube patches and don’t blister through the cut once the tyre is inflated. I rode around 70km over the weekend and there was no discernible loss in air pressure.

In terms of applying the tubeless patches, one thing I found was that due to the unevenness of the tyre’s tread pattern, it’s quite difficult to apply even pressure to the patch while it’s setting. I got around this by carefully popping the freshly patched tyre onto a wheel with an inner tube inside, inflating to around 80psi, and leaving for a few hours. Once off, the resulting bond seemed very secure.

One final note – based on some advice, I also applied some specially formulated super glue for rubber to the cuts from the outside of the tyre. While this worked initially, after some time on the trail, the cuts re-opened, but the Velox patch seems to be keeping everything airtight from inside.

richardthird

Repaired loads with Superglue gel in the cut, plus a smear of it under a leech patch (foam ones they do in Halfords). Not one has failed.

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Sounds like we used the same super glue. Strange, perhaps the cuts on my tyres are bigger or the tyre body is thinner. I applied it pretty liberally as well.

asbrooks

I’ve had success with larger cuts by stitching up with tooth floss first. Then patching as above.

igm

Ok. For the last week I’ve had a small slash in a Schwalbe G-One that I run at 50psi and the worms hold pressure only intermittently.
    I’ve used the rubber mushrooms as described and put a tube in over night to make sure it cures in the right shape. Baking paper between patch/tyre and tube so it doesn’t stick.
    Anything I’ve missed? What do you reckon my chances at 50psi are?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I just stuff a weldtite anchovy in and ride off. Takes very little time and they’ve all lasted the life of the tyre.

igm

An anchovy had already failed to hold the higher pressure.

Twice

Tracey

We use a Dynaplug and Co2 cannister on the trail, two plugs if its a larger hole. Stans race fluid in the tyres and it usually works.

Tend to remove them to reuse once we are home and repair it with mushroom patches from ebay.

igm

Mushrooms are good (m’kay)

Holding perfectly.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Fixing tubeless tyre with patches’ is closed to new replies.