Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Five Ten shoes
  • TheLaw
    Free Member

Im thinking of going back to riding flatties after about 17years spd. Five ten impact shoes…how do they come up size wise. Should i go up a size , down a size or what ? Also kona wah wah pedals…whats your thoughts ? Cheers

TheSwede
    Free Member

They are about spot on normal size IMO

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, spot on for sizing.

Kona pedals don’t seem to last very well from what I have seen. Wellgo MG1 (Or equivalent from other brands) are my pick.

TheLaw
    Free Member

cheers for the rapid response

mrbump
    Free Member

i go half size up.

TheLaw
    Free Member

i just go with my size me thinks…i can always send them back. Cheers. Here i go for 2 inch bunnyhops.

dingabell
    Free Member

Also think they’re spot on for sizing. Another vote for Wellgo MG1’s. They’re pretty light for flats, and stick to five tens like glue.

losmanos
    Free Member

I’d been riding spuds for 20 years till last summer, tried flats and wish I’d done it years ago. The ones I really like are DMR V8s, cheap and brilliant. I got some DMR Vaults chucked in free when i bought my Orange Five but I prefer the V8s. I’ve also tried Shimano DX and Superstar Nano Techs which are a lot of bang for youyr buck, but V8s just feel right. I reckon Five Tens are a bit Herman Munster and they soak up water like a sponge! The Vans flat pedal shoes are good, really grippy.

bigbloke
    Free Member

I use five tens and had DMR V12 pedals but now using Nukeproof Neutron which are essentially Nano Techs pedals, very good so far.

jedi

i use nike shoes and nukeproof nuetron pedals

DT78
    Free Member

Righto, personally I do not think 5 10s are all that (yes I have a pair). If you ever ride in the wet or winter they get soaked, takes ages to dry and smell. And they are now silly prices

I’ve recently bought a pair of AM41’s and think they are hugely more pratical. Better weather proofness and substantially lighter. Foot didn’t come off the pedal once in morzine so plenty grippy.

My pedal of choice is superstar nanos. No idea why people spend more on pedals – they are spot on. I find v8s are quite a small platform

mboy
    Free Member

Slightly random question… How quickly do the soles of 5:10’s wear out if you walk in them?

Found a pair of 5:10’s I actually quite like the look of as a casual pair of trainers (don’t worry, not the horrid Impacts), but wouldn’t want to buy them only to wear the sole out really quick cos of the soft rubber…

Oh, and I’m a uk 10 normally, does that equate directly to 44, 44.5 or 45?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

27 minutes

jockthestore
    Free Member

Rock on the flats…. I was riding SPDs for 15 years before going back to flats. 5.10s and superstar flats. Awesome.

steezysix
    Free Member

Is there a particular reason you want to switch after 17 years? Anyway, Superstar Nano, Nukeproof and Kona Wah Wah are all the same pedal, pick the cheapest (Superstar – lots of colour choice). Also, the thru pin version is the one to go for.

bedmaker

Anybody tried five tens for walking on steep roofs?
    Thinking of some of their parkour trainers to assist on slippy slates.

If you’ve got a favourite pair of trainers you can get them resoled with Five Ten soles. That’s what I did to an old pair of Vans.

http://www.resoles.co.uk

fahzure

You might want to check out the Duke: http://spokenaboutbicycles.blogspot.com/, no idea what the sizing is like.

Northwind

bedmaker – Member

Anybody tried five tens for walking on steep roofs?

Nope, but they let me do odd things walking up the granite of McMoab… My ankles gave up before the grip did.

montylikesbeer

5:10 low’s and V8’s, top draw for me

coastkid
    Free Member

5.10s grip like hell on slimey rocks on the beach so should be ideal on roofs 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Five Ten shoes’ is closed to new replies.