Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Fitting New Shimano Calliper Help Required
  • Wiksey
    Free Member

OK, so from previous questioning I’m now coming to terms with the fact that the rear calliper on my Shimano LX brakes needs changing, but I’ve got a few questions:

1. How hard is it to change? (I have a basic bleed kit & I'm willing to give it a try)
    2. Do I need to order anything other than a new calliper? (I’ve heard olives being mentioned before but can’t find any)
    3. Does it have to be another LX calliper or would any Shimano one be OK? (e.g. could I replace it with an SLX calliper)

Thanks
    Wiksey

Mister-P
    Free Member

You could fit a current Deore, SLX, XT or even XTR if you wanted. A new olive is recommended and should be available from any decent bike shop. Oh and a bottle of brake fluid may help.

tails
    Free Member

I think bike radar have a guide on bleeding shimano brakes, also worth bearing in mind is would a set of second hand brakes be better value than buying a caliper. I saw a cracking set of SLX on the classifieds for £75 yesterday.

theotherjonv

1. easy-ish. There are plenty of threads on here about bleeding / filling 'bottom up' which is the way to go.

2. yes, you'd probably need a new olive and insert like http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1801

3. should be able to sub in another shimano one as long as the connector type is the same (it's a straight connector for the LX) I think SLX is the same. And even that isn't strictly correct, you could put in a caliper with a 90deg banjo type connector but you'd have to source them as well.

Wiksey
    Free Member

Thanks for the super quick replies.

I was actually looking at not being able to afford to sort this for some time, but I've found a rear calliper on CRC for £19.99 so worth a try. I'll order an olive at the same time and give it a go (already got the fluid).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Fitting New Shimano Calliper Help Required’ is closed to new replies.