Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fitting Bearings in Hollowtech 2 Cups
  • alexxx
    Free Member

I bought 5 pairs of bearings to go into hollowtech 2 cups and before I smash the nylon cover to pieces I thought I’d better ask best practise from the more experienced? so anytips or special tools used please?

thx
    al

richmars

You should be able to lever the plastic bit off in one piece. I’ve made some bearing pushers (I have access to a lathe) so it’s easy to get the old ones out and push the new ones in. Lots of guides on line, just do a quick google.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Freeze the new bearings and heat the cups in hot water – makes it much easier

bigyinn
    Free Member

You might want to keep the nylon cover for the new bearings….

alexxx
    Free Member

…aint you a good reader bigyinn

adscatt
    Free Member

I warmed the nylon sleeve/cover with a hair drier,stops it cracking.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Clearly not!

Done exactly what you dont want to do!

I warmed mine up on the radiator for a while which makes the plastic more flexible. Then I dunked the cup with old bearing into an old baked bean tin, boiled it up for 5 mins and bashed the old bearing out.

With the new bearings, GENTLY prise one of the dust seals off from the inner race(stanley knife blade quite good for this), whack more grease in there whilst rotating the bearing to work it in there.
    Put some grease on the bearing face of the now clean and dry BB cup.
    Then use a G clamp or vice combined with a socket (24mm IIRC) to press on the OUTER race of the new bearing and press in the new bearing. Sometimes helps to release the pressure a bit occasionally.

evel_kneivel
    Free Member

can i ask what bearings you bought to replace yours with?

kaesae
    Free Member

I would run good quality bearings if you can get them cheaply enough.

As for using a stanley knife to remove the old seals a pin or needle inside the inner race and leverage the seal out gently is a better idea!

If you run cheap generic bearing, you can expect them not to last very long.

I refurb raceface bb’s all the time and put in japanese bearings, they last a long time.

Good luck when you experiment using differentb bearings, I’ve tried countless manufacturers, everything from IBB and ZEN to Enduro max, SKF and INA 😯

bigyinn
    Free Member

kaesae, which bearings would you suggest?
    I realise that preparation, installation and setup play a part. Asuming done properly, which would you say were the longest lasting?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fitting Bearings in Hollowtech 2 Cups’ is closed to new replies.