Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fitting 1 1/8th" Stem to 1" Fork Steerer – DIY BODGE REQUIRED
  • namastebuzz
    Free Member

OK I’m putting together a TT Bike for an event tomorrow. The bits arrived yesterday but the shim that should have (presumably) been with it didn’t.

The stem (alloy)is for a 1 1/8th” steerer but the forks have a 1″ steerer (carbon). THe stem is part of a one piece aero bar set-up so I can’t just swap it out.

Can’t get a shim from any of the local bikeshops and although I can get one off the web for £3 I can’t get it TODAY.

Any ideas? Can you get 1/8th” thick washers with an internal 1″ diameter anywhere?

h4muf
    Free Member

Where are you based?

splitlip
    Free Member

If there’s a Halfords near you could try one of these,
    steerer adapter
    I think they come with 2 shims that you’ll be able to use.

spandex_bob

The missing shim (not inside the stem clamp is it?) is probably just a rolled piece of ali sheet. Thickness-wise you need to add 1/16th (or 1.5875) to the steerer to take it out to 1 1/8th, which handily is a pretty good match for 16 gauge ali. Where abouts are you based – got loads of off-cuts which are just the job here in sunny Macc!

(Usual caveats about death resulting from bicycle bodgery advice gained from internet weirdos apply)

pastcaring
    Free Member

you need a shim 1.5875 mm? the only thing i can think of that might be available is a seat post shim.

or make your own from soft plastic (cd box, bucket) guessing you wouldn’t want to use coke can shims on a carbon steerer.
    fit plastic shim, tighten ad the check it doesn’t slip. wouldn’t want you turning one way and the bike going another.

h4muf
    Free Member

I’ve got one.

I’m in derbyshire though.

dnchevy
    Free Member

if your anywhere neer bracknell have a spare shim

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

I’m actually in Aberdeenshire 😮

My internet crashed a few mins after the post and didn’t get fixed (by 2 engineers) ’til monday night.

Anyway, went along the lines of splitlip’s idea and got a steering adaptor, which had shims with it, and got the bike up and running i time for the event.

Cheers for all the suggestions 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fitting 1 1/8th" Stem to 1" Fork Steerer – DIY BODGE REQUIRED’ is closed to new replies.