Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 210 total)
  • Fit Club: the hundred push ups training program
  • miketually
    Free Member

http://hundredpushups.com/ – a guy at work has just started this and I think I might join in. Anyone else want to join virtually?

You do an initial test, then follow a six week programme that gradually builds up how many push ups you do.

backhander
    Free Member

If you’re halfway fit, just do some press ups every day and you should be able to do 100 within a couple of weeks.

miketually
    Free Member

If you’re halfway fit, just do some press ups every day and you should be able to do 100 within a couple of weeks.

Yep, that’s basically what the website says. But with actual numbers and stuff.

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m up for that, should be a laugh!

willard

I might give it a try and see what happens. I try and do 100+ a day as it is, but I really should do more to try and get over 100 in two minutes.

I wonder if there’s a market for 100situps.com or 100chinups.com…

My idea! No stealing

backhander
    Free Member

Yep, that’s basically what the website says. But with actual numbers and stuff.

You need a website for that?

theflatboy
    Free Member

I wonder if there’s a market for 100situps.com or 100chinups.com…

My idea! No stealing

7 minute abs!

IanMunro
    Free Member

I guess it depends on your definition of halfway fit. Your average lanky fit cyclist or runner wouldn’t even get close to being able to knock out 100 pressup in a row after a couple of weeks.

grumm
    Free Member

I can struggle to about 20 pressups in a row, though it’s a bit harder now cos i hurt my arm/shoulder. Might give this a try if my arm doesn’t complain too much.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’m up for it.

backhander
    Free Member

I reckon if you can manage 35 odd now, then you could do 100 within 2 weeks. Its having the discipline to make sure you do them every night.

miketually
    Free Member

I guess it depends on your definition of halfway fit. Your average lanky fit cyclist or runner wouldn’t even get close to being able to knock out 100 pressup in a row after a couple of weeks.

That’s why I’m thinking of doing it.

miketually
    Free Member

I reckon if you can manage 35 odd now, then you could do 100 within 2 weeks. Its having the discipline to make sure you do them every night.

35? Not a chance! 😆

backhander
    Free Member

Well it’s good that you’re doing it. Good luck!
    It will be interesting to see how long it takes.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

I used to do 100 press-ups in about a minute for fun. That was over two decades ago though …

IanMunro
    Free Member

Let us know how you get on Mike. I died of boredom after about 3 weeks of following a similar course. Hell, it even made a turbo trainer seem like fun 🙂

rs
    Free Member

the most i’ve managed was about 35 too, i can’t imagine even doing it every night that i could reach 100 within two weeks but could be worth a try, on the pull-ups, the most i’ve ever done with those was 10, those are **** hard.

anjs
    Free Member

Well having done this after xmas I can say tyhe first 4 weeksdare ok but the jump between week 4,5 and 6 is really hard. Ended up doing week 5 about 4 time and then pulled a muscle in my shoulder and was at the physio for 2 months.

miketually
    Free Member

Strangely, I’ve always been pretty good at pull ups but terrible at press-ups.

Surfr
    Free Member

I got 3 weeks into this a while back and was progressing nicely but fort some reason I stopped. Would be good to pick it up again.

Also going to start couch to 5k with the wife, using podcasts.

finbar
    Free Member

Trying to go from 35 pushups to 100 in a couple of weeks is a surefire route to an elbow injury.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

The game is 60 in a minute, one a second (for those of you who are “hard of thinking” LOL) Took a few weeks to do, but its do-able.

Gives you the strength and cardio at the same time.

If you can manage it its a superb game to wind your mates up and get some money out of them in a bet, just practise in secret till you can do it, then drop the “bomb” 8)

theflatboy
    Free Member

damn you king kong 🙁

zaskar
    Free Member

No as I use a bench press and and don’t need hi reps for great pecs or mess up my elbow joints before I’m 40.

I can do 40-50 before I’m bored as hell.

Does work the core posture really well though.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think i would get bored half way through also. Might give it a go tho as i do my neglect my upper body stuff.

miketually
    Free Member

Right, I’ll do the initial test tonight and post up my (probably shamefully poor) results. Anyone who wants to join in, do the same over the next couple of days, then start following the programme.

Weeks 2, 4 and 6 have exhaustion tests at the end of them, so do those and post your results here as well.

Keva
    Free Member

i’ve never been able to do 100 press ups, most I’ve ever got was 96. Once about 18yrs ago and then about three years ago I managed to do 96 in two minutes. Back in december I tried to do some for the first time in a few months and only managed a measly 48. It took a couple of weeks to get back up to 60, not doing them everyday though, what with commuting, swimming and xc rides I feel the urge for a rest now and again !

Kev

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve torn/pulled something in my shoulder after letting go the lat/pulldown bar too quickly 🙁

It’s put paid to my fat club ambitions so this is probably out too 🙁

Jamie
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon:

I’ve torn/pulled something in my shoulder after letting go the lat/pulldown bar too quickly

It’s put paid to my fat club ambitions so this is probably out too

Diet and running not an option then mate? 😉

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I started trying it but ribs kept falling out of my sturnum from when I broke it. 🙁

BigDummy
    Free Member

As with Mike, I can ride a bike for 100 miles without too much bother, can blast a bike up a hill etc. But can probably manage about 10 press-ups before needing a lie down. 🙂

guitarmanjon
    Free Member

I’ve started and never finished this a few times in the last year or so. Still got the pocket-guide up on the cupboard to remind me of the targets. Week 5 has always been the killer and I’ve got bored/disheartened after that. Might give it another go. There’s also 200 sit-ups and 100 squats on the same site. Sit-ups I find very boring and squats are too easy with just bodyweight (cycling and volleyball certainly help there).

I’ll do a test later and join you miketually.

simply_oli_y
    Free Member

Willard…

if you look down the page on the right,
    you’ll see the 2 hundred sit up, and 2 hundred squat program… same thing from the same folk!!

Hairychested
    Free Member

You are a right Royal ba$turd Mike, but I’m signing up. When do we start? Tonight? I might manage 10 😀

grumm
    Free Member

Just tried the test now – could only do 11 🙁 – used to be able to do 20 in a row.

I will try and do this though – my arm/shoulder twinged a bit but I think it will be ok. 🙂

tomzo
    Free Member

100 press-ups in about a minute

not proper ones though..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Diet and running not an option then mate?

nope, bad knee rules out cycling and running, and the shouldsers rulled out swimming, and i like food to much 😉

dobo
    Free Member

ah what the heck, i’l give it a go, starting on week 3, doing mon, wed, fri, mondays done and dusted.
    I want one of these for chin ups now!

fingerbike
    Free Member

I want one of these for chin ups now!
    Recon Ron Pull-up Program

dobo
    Free Member

niceone fingerbike, now that looks HARD, everyday for 6 days? **** me

1st day done, i’ll give it a go 3 times a week like pressups and see how we go

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 210 total)

The topic ‘Fit Club: the hundred push ups training program’ is closed to new replies.