Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • First lone ride today…
  • FoxyChick
    Free Member

…in 14 yrs! 😯

And I absolutely loved it!

(Admittedly I did have to attend a 30 minute refresher at MrFC’s school for “what to do when it all goes wrong on the trails”.)

Just my own pace(slow 😉 ), no whingeing chicklets, and not having to worry about keeping MrFC waiting.

So who else enjoys getting out by themselves?
    Now need to plan something more adventurous. 8)

domino

Great isnt it – back end of last summer I got mrdomino to drop me off in the Dales and I would ride home, at the back of my mind I knew I could call him if it all went wrong. It was a great ride, gets the adrenaline going being by yourself if your not used to it.

sharki
    Free Member

95% of my rides are solo, only dibbs is more unsociable than me round here…;-)

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

MrFC’s school for “what to do when it all goes wrong on the trails”

I would be interested to know what he said in that lesson 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

To date 0.4% of my rides have been solo :o)

eviljoe
    Free Member

I love riding by myself- stop when you want, look at the view. Lots of thinking time, and no one to get in your way!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

stop when you want, look at the view.

I do that anyway 🙂

and no one to get in your way!

but no one to egg you on 🙁

carlphillips
    Free Member

its all about the social for me, i do get out on my own for some rides when everyone else is at work but prefer the banter of riding with a few good mates.

will
    Free Member

Ride on your own is cool! I do it loads, go as fast as you want, and don’t have to worry about leaving people in your dust 🙄

Although a good group ride is cool now and again!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

will…don’t think there’ll ever be a day when I leave people
    in my dust! 😯

Trekster

It`s the opposite for me will..nice slow ride, stopping to take in the views etc..had a nice bumble round Ae this afternoon after cutting the grass and before making the dinner

mamadirt
    Free Member

Lovely pics 8)

Almost all my rides are solo – I have no friends 😉 That said I’ve just got back from a great day’s riding at FOD and it was lovely to have company for a change – cheers Kim!

Dibbs
    Free Member

only dibbs is more unsociable than me round here…

Just call me Victor Meldrew 😛

oldgrump08
    Free Member

S’cool riding alone – different experience all together, if that’s not stating the obvious.

the_lecht_rocks

i ride alone 80% of the time. me and the ipod, on shuffle and hours just slip away – blissful.

loddrik
    Free Member

I have only ever rode alone and will never, ever ride with anyone else. Part of the reason I love biking is that it allows me to get away from everyone. I couldn’t think of anything worse than riding with a big group.

will
    Free Member

I tend to go on my own even if i’m riding in a group 😆

I just finding riding on my own i can get away from everything, and everybody 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Always ride on my own anyways, so having the company would be both a novelty and weird 😐

Dibbs
    Free Member

loddrik, you sound even more grumpy than me 😀

wormhole

on road = solo………. off road = group……mostly.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I love riding alone, the P&Q, the views, the challenge, not worrying if I’m slowing people down etc.
    I like getting out with mates every now & again for the social craic, but when I’m by myself I really feel as if I’m making the most of my ‘me’ time.

trio25
    Free Member

I tend to ride on my own. At first it was through necessity I wasn’t able to drive for a while and everyone I rode with was a 30mile + ride away. Now I’m happy on my own. I like riding with people as well but hardly ever seem to get the chance to anymore.

knottie8
    Free Member

I love riding alone but then I love riding with good company too. I have a small group I ride with most weekends but the Qs stw group ride had 50+ riders and was equally great(split into three groups, three routes).

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I like riding with people, showing and being shown new routes. Riding with folk a little better is really good as I push on more.

But actually, I’m a bit antisocial and get the most out of solo riding, particularly exploring. I like the thrill of self reliance. Ride a bit more conservatively of course.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I agree with a lot of the people – riding on your own is the best way to escape. I can’t bear the sight of great groups of people in the countryside – cyclists, ramblers, whatever – it’s visual pollution as far as I’m concerned. The great outdoors should (in my humble opinion) not be spoiled by consumption en masse. By all means get out there, but don’t do it like some great coach party. I guess there’s a time and a place for big groups, but it’s not something I look for particularly.

Those pics, FC, look lovely – you’ve really captured the mood of riding on your own. Yes – you do ride within yourself, but it’s the self sufficiance and long walk home that gives it even more of a buzz.

Don’t get me wrong – a pair, three or even four of you is a great way to spend a day, and it’s something I do a fair amount, but I do find that I probably ride on my own more than I do in company, and it’s just better for the soul!

When all’s said and done, any riding, on any bicycle has got to be good for you – and it’s really good of you to rub it in, Foxy, when I’ve been at work today and you’ve been out on that IF again! Bah – but then I did get a quick sneaky SS in after dinner… on my own! 😕

FoxyChick
    Free Member

*chuckles at gonetothehills* 8)

I just feel I’ve found my old self again…it’s hard to explain!
    I always used to ride by myself before I met MrFC, then we rode together.
    Then the chicklets came along and I did no riding at all.
    Then there have been family rides…and now I feel I have come full circle and have got my confidence back to ride alone.

I just noticed so much more around me today…

It’s not better than riding with a partner…just different, in a good way!

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I ride on me own and with a group. Enjoy both. If things go tits-up when you’re riding alone,things can turn grim very quickly.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Different is good. Wouldn’t do to all be the same would it? The hills would be totally clogged up if we were all out riding on our own!

Best thing about this evening’s little jolly was I got home before it started to rain. Rain? What’s that?! 🙂

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Solo is for de-stressing and feeling at one with the trails. For me it’s a school holiday thing like these two weeks!!!

Planned session at Haldon on Friday, Group ride either Sunday or Monday. May get a short ride in tomorrow as well 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Where were those pics taken?

They look pretty familiar spots, was the first Ickenthwaite by any chance?

The second one looks like it could be somewhere near Tilberthwaite, but Im nto sure

FoxyChick
    Free Member

david..they are both around Tilberthwaite.
    The second is the slate climb not far past the ford, and the first is the left turn climb back over to Tilberthwaite farm.

takisawa2

If you were a real woman (man) you’d do a solo night-ride.
    During a thunderstorm.
    At 3am.
    After watching The Blair Witch Project…

I’ve done a few solo night-rides.
    And I wasn’t in the slightest bit scared. 😉

cinnamon_girl

Well done FoxyChick!

Up until a couple of years ago, 99% of my riding was solo. But then I’m really into scenery and wildlife so the silence is good for animal spotting! It’s also a challenge for map-reading and self-sufficiency plus lots of thinking time. Am happy to ride in all different parts of the country on my own – in fact I relish it!

Mind you, sometimes I inflict myself on others, ie the Southern Shandy Drinkers, and rock up to rides like the recent Quantocks one.

paule
    Free Member

Solo rides are definately good – went out on my own for a few hours yesterday, and loved it. Think I go slower downhill and faster up hill when I’m alone…

simonralli2
    Free Member

FC
    Welcome to my world 🙂

taka
    Free Member

mr.FC sounds like my dad 😆

Ambrose

I love riding in the less frequented places (on my tod) because there will be less people there. I rode Whites- The Wall today (Monday). Didn’t see a soul on the trail. I might go to Cwm Doethie or Cwm Rhaedyr tommorrow. Alone.

Riding alone is brill, self-reliance and all that. As a pair id pdg too. Three is OK. 4 is acceptable. Beyond that and it gets too messy.

sideshowdave
    Free Member

alway ride on my own 🙂 like it that way 🙂 just me and my bike , get away from everything and clear my head of all the weeks sh*t 🙂

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Riding solo is a selfish indulgence for all of the reasons stated here. And I love it. 80% of my riding is solo and all of my night rides are solo. Love the sense of isolation.
    Granted its also nice to ride in a group but on average this is no more than two others.
    Well done FC on finding yourself again.

juan
    Free Member

Since I am back in France I am riding solo as no one rides a SS

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘First lone ride today…’ is closed to new replies.