Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fireside wood storage
  • JEngledow
    Free Member

We’ve got an open fire and would like something simple and modern to carry logs from the garage and to hold the logs on the hearth. I’ve had a quick look on t’interweb, but can’t find much that satisfies the carrying and storage (other than baskets). Does anyone have anything you can recommend or any links you can share? Thanks in advance.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I use an ikea bag and a big pile next to the stove. Has the effect of drying the wood that bit extra too

Junkyard
    Free Member

you need a bag really things that look good wont work that well. Make sure there are no holes in it as bits will fall off it as you trapse through your house. then just pile strategically near fire or store in a wicker basket type thing

I use those supermarket storage boxes, the ones they use in store and for home delivery.
    They’ve got holes in, so the bits fall through, but they are strong, stack or nest as required, and they are free. 😉

geoffj

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Basket with newpaper in the bottom to stop bits falling through

http://www.willowbaskets.co.uk/Products.aspx?category=log_baskets

JEngledow
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, I think we might just have to go for the Ikea bag/supermarket box to bring the wood in and something to stack it on next to the fire (I’m a bit weird and don’t like wood stacked straight on the hearth 🙁 )

I quite like this to stack the wood on:

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

That looks like it will hold enough wood for about half an evening 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Another Ikea bag and stack at side here.

JEngledow
    Free Member

That looks like it will hold enough wood for about half an evening

We only tend to use the fire at the weekends and so don’t get through that much wood. At the moment I’m using an old draw, which is about the same size (but looks sh*tty) and it holds enough wood for about half a day as we burn half wood / half coal.

ddmonkey

Buy one of those cheap plastic tubs with grab handles from a builders merchants to cart the logs in, I keep a basket full in the garage and then have a stack for evening next to the fire in a small basket.

organic355
    Free Member

Buy one of those cheap plastic tubs with grab handles from a builders merchants to cart the logs in, I keep a basket full in the garage and then have a stack for evening next to the fire in a small basket.

+1

Ive always got 3 tubs full in the garage, and a large box full stocked up in the lounge. Funnily enough my wood “box” isnt a box at all, but a small bedside cabinet we mistakenly got delivered which matches the rest of the furniture in the lounge. I decide to build it last week and left the door and drawer off, flipped it on its back, works perfectly, and looks stylish!

Now just looking for some decent modern fireside tools, anyone recommend any? Thing is the sets always come with a poker, and I think all I really need is a good set of tongs (currently using OXO BBQ ones!!)

ourmaninthenorth

I’m using an old draw

In classic STW mode, I had to read this several times until I got what I think you were tryong to say.

You’re using an old drawer..!

Anyway, you’ve possibly highlighted an opportunity for something stylish and practical. Design something and have it made..!

JEngledow
    Free Member

You’re using an old drawer..!

Oh, poo 🙁

I’ve been let down by spell-check, again!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Careful you don’t bring wood eating bugs into the house which then escape and eat your furniture…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fireside wood storage’ is closed to new replies.