Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 'Fine Dining' curry in Manchester?
  • higgo
    Free Member

Does such a thing exist?

Going out for a meal, bit of an occassion, fancy a curry.

MSP

Just get down to the curry mile in Rusholme, and pick one you fancy the look of.

highclimber
    Free Member

Akbars on liverpool rd. East is east in blackfriars. Akbars is particularly nice.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    higgo
    Free Member

Want something a bit smarter than Rusholme.

binners

Another vote for Akbars

highclimber
    Free Member

east is east ( ithink its called that anyway) was ok. not the nices curry i have ever eaten but the atmosphere was fun. akbars for quality tho

Naranjada
    Free Member

That's quite a challenge you've set there, most curry venues in Manc aren't great.

I'd be tempted with 1 of these :

Rajdoot on Albert Square- I've never been but hear it's nice and they have an Egon Ronay plaque outside IIRC

Sangam in Rusholme. It's an unlicensed restaurant and they have a sweet centre / takeaway next door. The interior's nice and it has a very asian feel to it, if you know what I mean …asian families & couples and no drunken crowds!

The Punjab in Rusholme (further up from Sangam but on the same side, LHS going away from town) – they have south Indian food, really nice dosas. The interior isn't as nice as Sangaam but the menu is pretty good – the Papri Chat or Bel Puri starters are lovely!

I also seem to remember somewhere called Shimla Pink's down off Deansgate, Salford side. They were deffo trying fine-dining curry style but I thought it was overrated.

Hope that helps.

Naranjada
    Free Member
    BigJohn

The more you pay for a curry the duller it is.

bigG
    Free Member

+ several for Akbars. Always take clients there for dinner when in Manchester.

G

PaulMc
    Free Member

Shimla Pinks wasn't all that great and is now no more.
    Akbars is good.
    Never been impressed by Rusholme.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

if you're not averse to heading out to chorlton, then coriander (on barlow moor road, opposite the main gates/crematorium in southern cemetery) is way better than the rusholme lottery. not sure "fine dining" is a fair assessment of it, but it's pretty great regardless.
    linky…

Coyote
    Free Member

The more you pay for a curry the duller it is.

Sad but so often true…

teagirl
    Free Member

Eck! The Rajdoot, now that takes me back more than 20yrs! Is it still going?

repatriot
    Free Member

+1 for the Coriander.
    Not very good for cake though!

khani
    Free Member

al faisal's on thomas st off oxford st (not rd) in piccadilly, looks like a cafe but the best curry in manchester, the only place my late dad would eat out and the only place i've eaten that was as good as my dads cooking, its where all the asian traders go for their dinner, dos'nt look posh but the food is superb
    EDIT rusholme is crap mainly

lowey

Best curry in Manchester is Nepalese.

The Jai Kathmandu in Northenden.

TRUST ME on this. The food is a little different to your normal curry's but is just without equal.

samuri
    Free Member

I quite liked East is East to be honest. Nice place, looked posh enough, food was ok.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

ooh, noted, i love nepalese food, there's one near Sandown that's great

I'd agree that if you want good curry in manchester then you should avoid rusholme like the plague

ratherbeintobago

If you want Nepali, the Gurkha Grill in West Didsbury's nice.

Akhbar's is good; indeed, we shall be there on Sun.

Andy

GregMay
    Free Member

Gurka Grill in West Didsbury. Great place, nice staff, awesome food.

cp
    highclimber
    Free Member

Rajdoot is rubbish, went for a birthday a 18motnhs ago. the food was bland and we were the only ones in there and it still took ages for the food to come out!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

lowey – Member

The Jai Kathmandu in Northenden.

He's right you know…

portlyone

Akbars is great, but IIRC you can't reserve a table you have to queue… East is East I hear is nice and you can book ahead.

Akbars still gets my vote, again Rusholme is to be avoided unless you want food fit for a drunken lout.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘'Fine Dining' curry in Manchester?’ is closed to new replies.