Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Film editing
  • milkyman
    Free Member

I have just ordered a helmet cam and I want to know a good editing program, I have watched some peoples clips on here where they have added music and they look and sound really good,
    cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Adobe Premiere (Expensive) Elements version affordable

Under Linux KDNlive (free of course)

colournoise

Linux user here so I use Kdenlive.

If I was on Windows I would probably go for one of the cheaper versions of Sony Vegas.

Having said that, as long as your camera spits out the right file format or you have a decent converter, Windows Movie Maker will do what you want if you’re just starting out (avoid the horrible Movie Maker Live though).

slainte 🙂 rob

MrSmith
    Free Member

Final cut-X

mogrim

Windows Movie Maker isn’t that bad, my 12yr old daughter seems to manage some reasonable looking edits, with background music, subtitles etc.

stewartc
    Free Member

Sarif Movie Plus, I have used the free version a few times and even forked out 5.99 for an expansion pack tpo give me a few more codec options (i.e.e the format you cans ave as) and I have found it to be very easy to use.
    Please note that you camera you get may be bundled with software that enables you to convert and edit your video anyway, best check before buying.

flyingmonkeycorps

After Effects is rubbish for editing. It’s a post production effects package. Movie Maker on Windows, iMovie on Mac, what the folks above said on Linux.

If you get more into it and start finding the limits of the free software then think about upgrading.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

This!

Break in to a house armed, and steal their software. Or rob a bank and make them pay with their money! 🙄

😯

DWH
    Free Member

Final Cut Express for me.

TheFlyingOx

Slight hijack.
    Just got a helmet/dash cam myself. Am going down the KDEnlive route, but wondered if there are any decent Twixtor (slo mo video) equivalents for Linux?

colournoise

Ox.

Only one I know of is Slowmovideo. Not a Kdenlive plugin but a standalone app. Needs an nvidia graphics card to run. Results don’t seem too bad (not as good as stuff I’ve seen from Twixtor but way better than just using the ‘Speed’ plugin in Kdenlive) but obviously relies on quality and type of source material to an extent. It’s fairly new so the UI is a bit clunky too.

slainte ➡ rob

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Currently have my finger hovering over the ‘buy’ button on a Drift HD720 camera, anyone know what editing software is compatible?

Also, does this camera come with a wall charger?

DickBarton

Muddydwarf, the camera spits out video in .mov format…I haven’t found a freebie video editor that can work with .mov (well unless you are on a recent OS – I’m still on Windows XP!)…so I’ll need to pay for one…I had a link for something but now lost it so will need to look again.

Camera doesn’t come with a wall charger but they can be bought separately. You can plug it into a USB cable and if you have a USB plug then you can plug it in to the wall…

From what I can tell, this is the same as the Drift HD (which I bought) in terms of what it comes with.

According to the website, it comes with –

HD720 Action Camera
    Remote Control
    Goggle Mount
    Curved and Flat adhesive mounts
    Universal Clip
    Velcro Strap
    Lithium Battery
    USB Cable
    Quick Guide

So the USB cable could be plugged into a wall plug to charge the battery.

Northwind

I use Vegas, which is pretty decent but their aftersales support is appalling… 10 day wait for first response, which was a cut-and-paste that within a line made it obvious that they hadn’t read the email. 5 days for the next one which was “Have you turned it on and off”. Well yes, over 15 days, unsurprisingly I have. Next, “Have you uninstalled and reinstalled”- yes, told you that in email 1. Next, “We can’t support unofficial product” It’s official, and registered, told you that in email 1. “It’s your PC, it’s not powerful enough” No, it really isn’t, my PC could fight a bear.

So after all that, which took most of a month, they just stopped replying. Well impressed.

Having said all that, when it works it’s a nice bit of kit, not all that intuitive but basically simple. And the user support on the forums and in online guides etc is excellent even if the company aren’t.

TheFlyingOx

Cheers Rob, I’ll give it a shot.

pease
    Free Member

I now use sony vegas movie maker. only done a couple on it but it seems very good.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Thread hijack – DickBarton, what do you think of the camera and its ease of use etc?

DickBarton

Muddy – camera is very good…I’ve got it set to 720 and 60fps – not really sure why but as most of my ‘edits’ are going to sit on YouTube and never really get seen then I’m not needing cinema-grade footage, this should allow me to play around with slo-mo stuff and also take up less space on the card so more footage to edit (remove!).

I see GoPro do an adapter for the tripod mount the camera has so I think I’ll get that and the chest and vented helmet mount as the mounts it comes with don’t fit my helmets (Fox Flux or Giro something-or-other) – the rotating lens is very good and the preview screen is superb for ensuring the picture is what you want.

I haven’t been able to mount it properly so have got it wrapped round my camelbak strap – it works but wobbles. GoPro adapter and mounts will be arriving soon.

It’s a nice piece of kit that is very easy to use…remote control is handy to have as finding the button to press on the camera can be a fiddle in full fingered gloves.

It is lightweight and very easy to use…mounting to the side of the helmet does make the helmet feel lopsided though.

My biggest issue though (apart from getting decent footage!) is getting software that allows me to edit my footage – made difficult by my archaic OS (Windows XP) so once I have that found I suspect editing the .mov files will be a doddle.

I like it…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Great news, I too have a Flux helmet so I’m interested in a chest harness set up, where did you find that? I have Windows 7 so an editing package ‘should’ exist! Think I’ll buy it now…

wavejumper
    Free Member

Final cut pro

DickBarton

Muddy –

Mount Adapter – http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/GoPro_mount_adapter
    Vented Helmet Mount – http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/gopro-vented-helmet-mount
    Chest Mount http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/gopro-chest-mount-harness

I did find this website – http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/ – with recommendations for software but none giving a huge insight into what works well with Windows XP – I’m kidding myself…my home PC is 9 years old, getting anything to work well with it will be problematic! Saying that, my wife has decided that her laptop can be used for non-work stuff, that is Windows 7 so I may persuade her to allow me to use that for my video editing!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Update :

Drift Camera has arrived, so far liking the look and useability of it, not too heavy but i wouldn’t want it on the side of my helmet.

DickBarton – like you i found that the stick-on mounts don’t work with my Fox Flux lid (not that i’m sure i’d trust them anyway) but i managed to position it on top of the lid using the goggle strap mount and a handy bit of slim velcro strapping. It sits over the vent that is central and immediately forward of the aero-wing thing on the back of the helmet. Position it so it is sidways on and the rear (long) edge just sitting on the wing and its fine.
    Just off to find a suitable micro SD card and i’m ready to bore you all with badly ridden and edited videos!

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cool! Just found that i have Movie Maker on the laptop (shows how little of this machine i use). Have the camera, have the edit suite – now need to get out and get some footage! 🙂

DickBarton

Sorry for hijack – The GoPro Mount Adapter that allows a standard camera to fit the GoPro mounts arrived…best to put some very thin washers in there as the clamp isn’t wide enough to get a very tight fit on the mount…I’ve used 2 hope spacing washers from an old set of brakes I had – very thin but takes up the space that the clamp doesn’t quite manage.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Film editing’ is closed to new replies.