Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fibrax Braided Hose & XT M775 – Possible Issue
  • RDL-82
    Free Member

Hi all, hopefully the collective can help reasure or worry me as the case may be 🙂

Anyway i got a split in my standard hose on my XT M775’s and as the Fibrax braided was about the same price with the discount they sent out, i figured id go for them. No the problem apart from them being a pain to fit, is that the screw(?) that goes into the lever and calliper will only screw in a small amount before it is pretty much locked solid and anymore would probably start to damage something. I confirmed with Fibrax before ordering them so they are supposed to fit.
    I haven’t filled the system yet in case they aren’t right, so in summary should the screw go all the way in like the original did? Pics for you…

Untitled by e1ys1um, on Flickr

Excuse the crappy shots, camera on phone jobs.

Cheers

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Can you compare the threads on the original Shimano fitting? Perhaps the threads are different. How many threads screw in before it jams?

RDL-82
    Free Member

Well the threads look the same so i doubt thats the issue, and if i screw it in without the hose assembly it’ll go all the way.
    As you can see from this pic the silver Fibrax screw is shorter but with the olive on top it would be about the same as the Shimano one with an olive.

Only thing ive noticed is that the olive is about twice the length of the standard Shimano one so maybe the cause. Maybe everything is fine and im stressing over nothing but with it being brakes i want to be sure. Ultimately i cant see how when assembled youd ever get the screw all the way in…Help!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Three_Fish
    Free Member

Could you reuse the original olive?

RDL-82
    Free Member

Not possible as far as I can tell, the braided hose has a larger outer diameter with the olive and screw having a larger internal diameter that the Shimano stuff, but the overall size still fits.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It appears to be the length of the olive that prevents the threads going any further; and it looks like it’s only going in by a couple of threads. It’s a judgement call, I think – do you run the risk of stripping the threads in the caliper if you tighten the fitting?

RDL-82
    Free Member

Well the screws are tight and feel unlikely to come undone however I’m wondering more why the screw is so long if hardly any gets threaded, I’ve just dry fitted the rear without the hose, and with the insert and olive in you’ve know chance of ever getting the screw all the way in, so it’s clearly meant that way, just seems wrong compared to the original setup.

Anyone get any experience with other setups, goodridge for example.

Cheers

RDL-82
    Free Member

Quick bump, any thoughts from the day crowd.

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fibrax Braided Hose & XT M775 – Possible Issue’ is closed to new replies.