Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • fat bike frames that are "normal" – or very spacy 29ers
  • scaredypants

😳

WHo makes this:

slidy or slotty dropouts for SSing rather than eccentric BB, but with a hanger too

DOn’t want MASSIVE tyres, but big (maybe 3 inch or so?)

135 rear hub without needing weird dishing? (I’d prob ride it SS with the fat tyre on anyway but I’d also like a normal 29er wheel to fit sometimes – or maybe the stay would be wide enough to fit a normal 29er wheel even if the “fat” version had to be dished funny ?)

Tapered headtube

(BB is OK, I could live with that being daft)

adeward
    Free Member

This has at least 10mm clearance around a mountain king 2.4

Bit more about it here http://twentynineinches.com/2011/05/09/experimental-short-and-elevated-chain-stay-29er/

New version on the way with tapered head tube

cynic-al
    Free Member

No fat bike.

Surly troll for 26″ is your closest I think, not sure what its dropouts are.

Not sure any 29 x 3 tyres exist, nor frames to clear them.

Tapered headset – I doubt it

scaredypants

ah, no – soz : the fat tyre would be 26 but occasional use of normal 29er wheel too

loum
    Free Member

A possibility: Evil Sovereign
    Takes 3″ tyres on 26er wheels
    Has slidey drop-outs for ss
    however, not tapered headtube and would be v high bottom bracket if the 29″ wheel fits(no idea)

cynic-al
    Free Member
    tazzymtb

you can just squeeze a 3″ in a surly karate monkey frame with clearance , probably ya best bet and a nice ride too

epicyclo

The fatbikers have all tried this and moved on. The answer to the question you asked is Surly 1X1 or Troll (edit: and KM).

The real answer is Pugsley.

scaredypants

yeh, been thinking of maybe a karate monkey as a likely option

(presumably the 3″ is on a 26 wheel taz, or do you mean on a 29? – like Al says, that must be a rare tyre)

scaredypants

epi – how weird does the back wheel have to be for a pugsley ?

singlespeedstu

What Epi said. ^^.

If you want a fatbike save yourself some money and time pissing about with things that’ll never be a fat bike and just buy a fatbike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

World of difference between 3″ and 4″….

…tyres 😀

scaredypants

I don’t really want a fatbike – not for the beach and we get very little snow here

… just big tyres on a rigid bike really

(was that on-one 29scandal that got me thinking again – I found a link somewhere to their fatbike but seems to have a 150rear)

singlespeedstu

I don’t really want a fatbike – not for the beach and we get very little snow here

Snow and beaches have nowt to do with it for me.
    Fun has everything to do with it though. 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

3″ tyres are heavy…2.5 etc not much nwrrower and way lighter.

singlespeedstu

Snow? No.

Beach? No.

Fun? Hell yeah.

as you said.

just big tyres on a rigid bike really

🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGsM66xejsU[/video]

epicyclo

scaredypants – Member
    epi – how weird does the back wheel have to be for a pugsley ?

It’s simple enough to build the wheel. The frame has a 17.5mm offset, so you simply offset the wheel that much. Takes no longer to build than a normal wheel.

On anything but hardpacked trails the fatbike is better IMO, ie loose gravel, rocky trails, grass tussocks, sand, not to mention snow.

Try to get a ride on a fatbike before you splurge your money on a poor substitute.

And once you have a fatbike you’ll be leaving the hardpacked trails to those poor chaps with skinny wheels. 🙂

firestarter
    Free Member

My old karate monkey with 3″ 26 tyres on

PLenty of room in there

Worked well in snow too 😉

coastkid
    Free Member

If you dont want a full on fatbike like a pugsley then maybe buy a Karate Monkey (or On One 29er etc)and build wheels with 47mm Kris Holm Uni cycle rims and fit 2.4 Ardents or WTB 2.55 Weirwolfs or similar, 🙂

Tyningham by coastkid71, on Flickr

I own one and run the tyres at 20 PSI , loads of grip and comfy,
    a lot better on the road and fast trails than a fat bike, good on roots and the like too,
    I also own a pug, the 29er is not a pug, but the pug is not a 29er!
    each has its uses 🙂

Tyningham by coastkid71, on Flickr

tazzymtb

I’ve used and 2.5 dissent 29ers on a big fat rim at 9psi and they’re bloomin ace. If you want float get a fat bike if want comfort on a stiff frontage it works a treat.

firestarter
    Free Member

In fact the last pic in the snow I think they are 2.55 weirwolf tyres

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

If I had a load of money to chuck around, I’d quite like to try a 3″ rear tyre and full fat front end on my Sovereign, just to see if it worked…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘fat bike frames that are "normal" – or very spacy 29ers’ is closed to new replies.