Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fast yet grippy
  • tankslapper
    Free Member

tyres – sorry

Moonhead
    Free Member

I’m running a Nobby Nic front and a Racing Ralph rear. Find them fast and grippy in the dry. The NN is a little skittish in the wet but not bad. I’m sure others will disagree but it’s personal choice innit!

Was running ADvantage F&R before I went tubeless. Liked them too only difference is they are a bit heavier, not quite as fast rolling but good all year round.

I’m sure you will get a bunch of different views and suggestions depending on how what where you ride. Me, Peaks, Calderdale and various trail centers.

rebelsoldier
    Free Member

kenda small block, nice in the dry hard stuff

Marmoset
    Free Member

Panaracer Razer MX’s, grippy in the dry and suprisingly tenacious in the damp with a little mud (they lose it a little when bald)

2hottie
    Free Member

Conti X-king in 2.4 Protection black chilli. love them.

mboy
    Free Member

Size?
    Weight?
    Usage?

No use me recommending a fast yet grippy DH tyre when you want an XC race tyre! Or recommending a road tyre when you’re after one for your freeride bike… 😉

bikerbruce
    Free Member

lightweigt ventoux 190’s then glue on a strip of 400 grit paper all over…

tankslapper
    Free Member

Size? F knows
    Weight? Fat……at present……resting muscle
    Usage? Mountain biking…………

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Ardents front and rear

ruscle
    Free Member

+1 on the conti x-king 2.4, great tyre especially in the protection version.

kimbers

yup razer mxs 2.35s very fast and grippy in the dry, predictable in the wet

Rorschach
    Free Member

Actually I need the same tyre….only it also needs to be light,tough,cheap and long lasting.Also I’d quite like the moon,preferably on a stick of some kind.Ta xx

rp16v
    Free Member

im finding sb8 to be really good atm running 2.10 front and rear even when abit moist they seem to shed mud fast and when bogy they cut thro and grip at bottom of the bog

steve_b77
    Free Member

Nobby Nic Up front & Racking Ralph out back

mboy
    Free Member

Size? F knows
    Weight? Fat……at present……resting muscle
    Usage? Mountain biking…………

Jesus… I despair!

I meant size, weight and usage of the tyre, not the individual!

Do you want sub 2″ tyres, 2.5″+, somewhere in the middle etc?

Weight wise, are you happy with mega heavy DH tyres, or do you want exceptionally light ones that might be more prone to puncturing?

Usage wise, you planning on winning XC races, riding DH at high speed, somewhere inbetween? Or just pootling your local trails with less effort than currently?

XC tyre wise, and still at 2.2″, have found the Hutchinson Cougar/Cobra combo very grippy and fast, yet still nicely light. For more general riding I’ve been using one of the £9.99 special Michelin Dry2 2.3″ tyres from On One, much grippier than they look, very fast rolling and thick casing means they’re hard to puncture. Have been using that on the back of my full sus with a bontrager XR4 up front, which is also grippy as a grippy thing, still quite quick rolling and forms a good pair IMO.

float
    Free Member

+ another 1 for xking protection. bought from europe.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Heckler: Ardent 2.4 front/High Roller 2.35 rear

SS 2.2 RQ f & r

HT Ardent 2.25 f, Crossmark 2.1r

ruscle
    Free Member

Life cycles I found were the cheapest for conti x-kings if you go that way, or about a £1 cheaper each from bike24 in Germany.

njee20
    Free Member

Rocket Rons or Racing Ralphs.

wrecker
    Free Member

Tried a few, the blue groove/nec combo was OK but wore very quickly.
    The RQs are doing a sterling job at present but I would like a bit more grip on the inner shoulder (before the main lugs on the shoulder).
    I’m eagerly awaiting the schwalbe hans dampf, that looks a very good tyre.

z1ppy

Trying the Nobby Nic (front), Rocket Ron (rear) combo for the last few months, works for me as a nice fast combination with a bit of body to it. Have to say the RR is scary on wet root though, luckily it’s been pretty dry round he… while the rest of the coutry is suffering!
    M8’s running some Conti X-racers on the same bike, but they look awful thin (small) to take any big hits to me, but the damned fast.

ruffride
    Free Member

High roller every time always know what there gona do or let you

I_Ache
    Free Member

You want some High Rollers on the front and a Larson TT on the back both 2.35 and 60a single ply. It is what I use for 9 months of the year for ALL my riding. That includes pootling, trail and DH it is a fantastic tyre combo.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Nobby Nic Up front & Racking Ralph out back

Ditto this combo (2.4 NN, 2.25 RR)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fast yet grippy’ is closed to new replies.