Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fast commuter tyres
  • P7Pro

Can anyone recommend some fast 26" tyres for a 10 mile commute which includes 2 miles on a canal towpath, 2.5 miles on a bridleway and the rest on tarmac?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends on state of bridleway – muddy = need grip, rocky = need volume?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Schwalbe Super Motos

mttm
    Free Member

Schwalbe Kojacks? 2.0" so plenty of volume, but they don't get the name due to the overabundance of tread… :-).

They work great for me, but I'm on what passes for tarmac for my whole journey.

tails
    Free Member

schwalbe marathon plus.

P7Pro

The bridleway is muddy when wet, which seems to be most of the year.

Hedgehog
    Free Member

Pulls up chair.

Im thinking exactly the same thing, same distance, same sort of run. after a year and half off the bike due to accident I found my old ones pritty much dead.

Im thinking Continental Contact Reflex, Maxxis Detonator. did have some Maxxis Hookworm and the did look excellent !

maybe with some flat 'protection'.. mmm

plumber
    Free Member

I'm really liking my land cruisers recommended on here previously

zaskar
    Free Member

tails – Member
    schwalbe marathon plus.

These are not fast! (puncture proof but 850g?) excellent winter tyre.

You need something light and fast for summer maybe Panaracer Crosstown MTB Tyre or a Continental slick.

Scwalbe do a lightweight fast tyre called the Marathon Racer which is better protected than other tyres 385-400g -rolls well but reflected by price.

ourmaninthenorth

When I used to commute on a MTB, I rode Conti Sport Contacts (1.3").

TBH, I'd use the tyre that does the job for the surface experienced on the majority of the ride (i.e. tarmac), perhaps adjusting pressures slightly to compensate for lower grip on the bridleway (towpath normal pressures would be fine).

stumpy01

I used to have some Specialized Crossroads which were pretty good on that sort of terrain & rolled quite well.
    The tread has changed quite a bit since I had them, but they look like they'd do the job. Just depends how muddy the bridleway is.

zaskar
    Free Member

Does anybody remember the Michelin Wild Gripper City?

They were rubbish in the wet but the fastest commuter tyre I have ever used.

Also consider the rim of your tyre too.

Skinny rims like 717s will take slimmer tyres.

brassneck

Conti XC 1.5 pumped up nice and hard – they'll get over any off road terrain and not be too bad on the roads. I commute on them and used to trail quest with them, seem the best compromise if you need some grip for real off road conditions. Sport contacts are nice if its all road though.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Schwalbe recommended me Smart Sams for on/off road, quite good at both.
    Personally I would go for Super Moto-R/Small Block 8-F if you need a bit of grip for mud (assuming not climbing on mud)
    Alternitively go for Super Moto F/R and keep it loose on the mud. Will do wonders for your sense of balance 🙂

Simon-E

Thoughts: Marathon Racer, Specialized Crossroads Armadillo or perhaps a CX type tyre e.g. Conti Speed King.

PJay
    Free Member

Marathon Extremes might be worth a look for a mix of on/off road riding. They're not cheap and weigh 570g (over 600g on my scales) so aren't the lightest either (but not overly heavy either). I've got a pair to try out but haven't ridden them yet.

Inbred456
    Free Member

These are great and come with free tubes.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Continental_Travel_Contact_MTB_Tyre_With_Tube/5300003705/

These are very fast and tough tyres with a good guarantee.

smurf
    Free Member

My tip is to watch for the height of the tyre as thin and "low" tyres (i.e. the distance from the rim to the road is quite small) will reduce your gearing quite a bit.

I ran some 1 inch slicks that put the rims less than an inch off the road. I was surprised how much "faster" the bike was when I swapped them to some taller tyres.

smurf

maxray
    Free Member

Schwalbe city jets 1.5" not tried them on real rough stuff tho.

angryratio
    Free Member

Specialized Armadillo cased tyres.. Nimbus, hemisphere.. both good.

Shack
    Free Member

I'll second the conti travel contacts. Excellent tyre for a mixed commute, fast rolling and enough volume to take some abuse. Great puncture resistance, only had two in the last 12 months on them. Have used contact sports and gatorskins. Sports ended up with a flat spot on the rear after catching a pot hole, gatorskins very fast but anything loose or muddy and you'll struggle.

colande
    Free Member

I'll agree with the conti travel contacts,

took a pair touring, 1000's of miles no punctures,
    found bits of glass and metal embedded in the tyres without puncturing.
    so a super strong tyre,

Simon-E

I would suggest City Jets, I've been commuting on them for a few years. Cheap, fairly tough and quick rolling.

However, there's no tread to speak of so I would not recommend them for a muddy bridleway.

rkk01
    Free Member

Any worn out knobbly

Cheap, fast, sustainable

P7Pro

Thanks for your help. These sound like they might do the job:
    Continental Travel Contact
    Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo
    Specialized Crossroads Armadillo
    Schwalbe Marathon Extreme

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fast commuter tyres’ is closed to new replies.