Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 205 total)
  • Faslane
  • StefMcDef
    Free Member

cb – Member

If the Scots go it alone, surely it’d be best to move the subs south? Jobs and investment into a rural coastal area doesn’t sound too bad to me.

Good luck with that. The sort of rampant NIMBYism that exists dahn sarf, that won’t permit a wind turbine, far less a high speed rail line, within spitting distance of their holiday home lest it depreciate by a couple of thousand quid, is hardly going to embrace a pollution-leaching nuclear silo with a theoretical Russian crosshairs trained on it the whole time.

bencooper
    Free Member

We could call it the People’s Republic of Scotland and Northern England.

The People’s Empire of the North, Ireland and Scotland.

wrecker
    Free Member

Perhaps the Countries United North of the Thames? 😀

StefMcDef
    Free Member

wrecker – Member

Perhaps the Countries United North of the Thames?

Got a certain ring to it.

Perhaps its southern counterpart could be the Thames – We’re All Tories – Sub-region.

winston_dog
    Free Member

FWIW, the MOD have confirmed that only 520 jobs at Faslane and Coulport are dependent on Trident.

The MoD are lying, or at the very least using some creative accounting to twist the numbers.

Coulport does absolutely nothing apart from look after the V boats.

A lot of jobs at Faslane will be general port infrastructure and support that you would need regardless. However, without the subs what would you need Faslane for? If you remove them, the size of the port and corresponding number of personnel is way too big for what’s there.

binners

We could call it the People’s Republic of Scotland and Northern England. That’d be super (and may actually be viable, which a large part of me thinks an independent Scotland wouldn’t be).

I’d vote for that!

I’ve said it before, but what we should be voting for is Independence for the South East of England. I think the rest of us could bump along quite nicely without them. And it’d save everyone in London the (frankly embarrassing) trouble of pretending that the rest of us even exist

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve said it before, but what we should be voting for is Independence for the South East of England. I think the rest of us could bump along quite nicely without them. And it’d save everyone in London the (frankly embarrassing) trouble of pretending that the rest of us even exist

Could we also be banned from working there too please?
    As a west country type, I’m fed up of being expected to do the M4 corridor run. “it’s only 100 miles”…..It takes 4 ****ing hours!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Perhaps its southern counterpart could be the Thames – We’re All Tories – Sub-region.

London which sits nestled on the Thames is very far from being “all Tory”.

In 1997 London had 57 Labour MPs compared to 11 Tory MPs.

Even after the last election which returned the Tories to government London wasn’t “all Tory” :

Northwind

wrecker – Member

I’m not remotely surprised. 10’s of billions? All political parties would have a tough time swallowing that badboy.

One of the MOD/RUK government assumptions seems to be that scotland would pay a share of the costs of a new base. Which is just nonsense frankly, and exactly the sort of high-handed presumptious crap that people are getting fed up of. Paying for decommissioning- fair enough. They want a nuclear deterrant afterwards? Up to them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as a proper northerner (Northumbria) you can swear filter right off trying to lump us in with those north of the border. If anything we should be giving the south to France, that would teach em!

StefMcDef
    Free Member

London which sits nestled on the Thames is very far from being “all Tory”.

In 1997 London had 57 Labour MPs compared to 11 Tory MPs.

Even after the last election which returned the Tories to government London wasn’t “all Tory” :

Yeah, but you can’t make a puerile acronym out of Thames – We’re All Tories Apart From 57 London Labour Constituencies – Sub Region.

I suspect that if you zoomed out a bit then most of the map along the bit south of the Thames would be blue.

compositepro
    Free Member

if scotland gets independance will i get dual nationality

BermBandit
    Free Member

if scotland gets independance will i get dual nationality

Quite.

So how about we define Scottishness and what entitles someone to a Scottish passport?. It can’t simply be residence, as that then means that anyone of any nationality can be a jock, simply through location. In fact there may well be a minority of people in the country who were born there. Judging by my immediate locality there are literally thousands, probably millions of ex pat jocks throughout the UK, so what about them? Are they excluded from Salmonds vision?

What about me? Father being a Scottish Borderer, Mother from Penrith?

Personally, I’m all for devolution of government, and less centralisation, but in a world of increasing globalisation does this Little Scotland idea actually make any sense?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Simple making plans just in case. However maybe it is time to boot the whinging kid out of the family home. See how long before the come back asking for more pocket money or to be let back in.

That really is a terrible way to talk about the english.

athgray
    Free Member

That map is a bit misleading ernie. Stefs point mentioned the SE not London. If you take an indicative line from The Severn to the Wash the political map below that line will be mainly blue I imagine.

wrecker
    Free Member

Seeing how the EU have half opened the door to an independent Scotland, do we think that the Basques are going to be allowed a crack at it as well?

scotroutes

The Spanish constitution prevents the splitting up of the Spanish nation so the circumstances are completely different.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

That map is a bit misleading ernie. Stefs point mentioned the SE not London.

Stef’s point mentioned “the Thames”, not “the SE”. London is the largest settlement next to the Thames.

The map shows the election results in London after the last general election which returned the Tories to power. There is nothing misleading about it.

On the other hand the “We’re All Tories” comment concerning the ‘Thames Sub-region’ was somewhat misleading. Specially as in 1997 London elected more Labour MPs than the whole of Scotland.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good point, also wondering who the scotts will blame for all the problems once independant??

wrecker
    Free Member

The Spanish constitution prevents the splitting up of the Spanish nation so the circumstances are completely different.

Can it trump the UN charter?

GrahamS

Specially as in 1997 London elected more Labour MPs than the whole of Scotland.

I’m guessing they also elected more Tories than the whole of Scotland?

bencooper
    Free Member

Good point, also wondering who the scotts will blame for all the problems once independant??

Ourselves. And this is a good thing. Scotland should grow up and stand on its own feet.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

About 11 more.

But for every Tory MP Londoners elected in 1997 they elected 5 Labour MPs.

Not quite the “We’re All Tories” sentiment which was suggested.

bencooper
    Free Member

Not quite the “We’re All Tories” sentiment which was suggested.

Well, someone must be voting for the buggers 😉

StefMcDef
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

scotroutes » The Spanish constitution prevents the splitting up of the Spanish nation so the circumstances are completely different.

“Y’know, this self-determination thing ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. Let me slink back for another lick at the colonial jackboot.”

Said no country, ever.

ratherbeintobago

Seeing how the EU have half opened the door to an independent Scotland, do we think that the Basques are going to be allowed a crack at it as well?

I wonder if this is something that’s been thought through? It’s quite likely the Spanish Government will oppose the admission of an independent Scotland to the EU, as they don’t want to set a precedent for Catalonia.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Y’know, this self-determination thing ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. Let me slink back for another lick at the colonial jackboot.”

I suspect you might find the population of quite a few countries would take that option, albeit their governments may well not. Zimbabwe perhaps?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whats that we have a population that has a lot of heart attacks, obesity, alcoholism, smoking and other social/medical problems and a declining source of income, thats right you blame the previous owners

klumpy
    Free Member

Just to get back to the original point, cos it needs clarifying.

In the event of the Scottish voting yes to independence the British Govt has no intention of hanging onto Furslane, and the (or more accurately, a very vocal “some”) Scots are very angry and say that’s bullying.

So, the obvious question: wuh!?

binners

And probably northern England too*

* Cheshire isn’t the north. Its a satellite state-lette of the South East

gonefishin
    Free Member

“Y’know, this self-determination thing ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. Let me slink back for another lick at the colonial jackboot.”

Said no country, ever.

Well that’s not the impression that I got in some Central Asian countries where I was told that if given the chance they would want to rejoin the USSR. Granted it might not be unversal but it is a widely held opinion.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Whats that we have a population that has a lot of heart attacks, obesity, alcoholism, smoking and other social/medical problems and a declining source of income, thats right you blame the previous owners

I’m sure your ideological forebears convinced themselves that the feckless populations of America, Canada, Ireland, India and countless others would never make a go of it without John Bull’s beneficent guiding hand.

And Scotland is hardly Zimbabwe or a central Asian republic – it’s a small, developed, relatively resource-rich nation in northern Europe. The Scandinavian states are probably more accurate comparators for how things might turn out.

All of which will probably turn out to be moot – but the potential is there for an independent Scotland to prosper.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Good on you give it a go 🙂

petrieboy

So long as they continue to maintain the road between gareloch head and loch long because its teh awesomes on the road bike!

Northwind

klumpy – Member

Just to get back to the original point, cos it needs clarifying.

In the event of the Scottish voting yes to independence the British Govt has no intention of hanging onto Furslane, and the (or more accurately, a very vocal “some”) Scots are very angry and say that’s bullying.

Apparently the original point does need clarifying, because this is completely backwards. The original post was about the MOD suggestion to annex parts of scotland post-independence.

klumpy
    Free Member

Apparently the original point does need clarifying, because this is completely backwards. The original post was about the MOD suggestion to annex parts of scotland post-independence.

Well, the Guardian said so – and they even quoted “sources” “spokesmen” and an ex-minister. The UK government, however, says different:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-23267584

Does the Guardian have a stance on independent Scotland? Cos this kinda stirring could influence the vote.

bencooper
    Free Member

I think it’s more that the MoD was speculating without checking with the politicians.

The Guardian seems very anti-independence usually.

Northwind

klumpy – Member

Well, the Guardian said so – and they even quoted “sources” “spokesmen” and an ex-minister. The UK government, however, says different

In fact the government haven’t claimed the story is wrong or false, they’ve just said that the MoD suggestion isn’t realistic.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Simple making plans just in case. However maybe it is time to boot the whinging kid out of the family home. See how long before the come back asking for more pocket money or to be let back in.

POSTED 16 HOURS AGO #

Sorry, I read that post at 7am, and I’ve only just stopped laughing!.

epicyclo

winston_dog – Member
    …Scottish Navy? What will that consist of?

The ships they are intending to build on the Clyde for the Scottish navy.

As for Faslane, the sooner we get rid of a nuclear target 30 miles from a major centre of population, the better. I’m sure Westminster has some citizens it regards as disposable in England, so there’s plenty other targets locations they can pick.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 205 total)

The topic ‘Faslane’ is closed to new replies.