• This topic has 2,563 replies, 197 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 2,564 total)
  • F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)
  • hora
    Free Member

I must admit asking LH to move over in the circumstances was a career low. Why the **** would you even think that? It says something about the way Merc viewed Lewis, not by his talent or standing. Secondbergs quiting slapped his boss in the face too though. Backed the wrong horse there fella as it destroys alot of the Merc PR sponsors roadtrip post win.

I just hope Merc treat Lewis properly this year. They don’t come across as a nice business.

nickc

fair play to him 😀

he’s reached the pinnacle of his sport, winning against one of the greats in equal equipment. Probably won’t ever feel as good again. I’ve always though the public underestimated Rosberg.

bikebouy
    Free Member

What if this is just a ruse? He’s no real intention of retirement just wants to be offered more money..

hora
    Free Member

Yes he won fair and square. It was just luck how Lewis had such an unreliable car to Nico’s. Same factory; one looked after, one not. Teams say it’s only about the constructors but they and their sponsors revel in a win and the promotional run. I bet if they knew what NR had been thinking they would have given Lewis an equal car. ..

wilburt
    Free Member

He’s probably bored.

nickc

It was just luck how Lewis had such an unreliable car to Nico’s

They both suffered 3 reliability issues throughout the season, you could argue that Hamilton’s were more ill timed, but the idea that he had more isn’t a real one

slackalice
    Free Member

German company funding a predominantly British based and developed team ( IIRC, the PU’s are Ilmor?) and more than likely, the head nacho’s of the Mercedes wanted a German champion driver.

After all, if it wasn’t for the previous team boss, Ross Brawn, putting in place the development strategy for the PU, then Merc would not have enjoyed their period of superiority. It could all lead to a sour taste in the mouth’s of the paymaster’s and purse string holders.

Hence the garage team swap, unreliability issues experienced and race orders. Job done.

Perhaps NR is aware or has an inkling of this and perhaps this his his way of undermining the fat cats? In which case, fair play to him.

None of this matters in the great scheme of things, regulation changes next year could well prove to end the dominance and give rise to many toys being thrown from the silver pram’s

jambalaya
    Free Member

What about Hamilton’s terrible starts ? Had the Merc not been such a dominant car he’d have been far behind in the Championship.

Hamilton flounce rumours well I’d have called his bluff on that but then again Imwouod not have resigned him at more money a couple of years ago. I hope Merc get a top driver in, if they just go #2 then 2017 will be so boring as not to be worth watching or even reading about. I don’t follow F1 as closely as most here but I see few signs of another car challenging Merc in 2017

nickc

Jamby I wouldn’t write it off just yet.

The cars should be more interesting, Ferrari, and Red Bull (maybe even Maclaren) will give the Mercedes a run for their money, driver market’s all tumbled around (Rosberg effect will cascade down the grid)

Could be one of the best seasons in a while…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

They don’t come across as a nice business.

None of the F1 teams do; Williams was notorious for treating a championship winner like crap. He called drivers lightbulbs; you just change them for a new one.

All the conspiracy theories above are pure cobblers; NR is going because he wants to. He claims to have put his entire life to one side to make this his best season. Yet Lewis runs him to the wire with his so-called party lifestyle. That must sting.

Merc need Ham next year. He’ll get everything he wants to get the championship. That will include a no. 2 team-mate who will happily come second.

atlaz
    Free Member

Backed the wrong horse there fella as it destroys alot of the Merc PR sponsors roadtrip post win.

I would imagine Nico will have to do some sort of PR work for sponsors as a way of getting out of his contract AND keeping some money coming in. If anything it’s probably better as they’re not constrained by racing etc; he could be a “brand ambassador” easily.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@atlaz I am sure he’ll have millions worth of endorsements / brand ambassador stuff to do plus managing his investments.

Any decent driver in a 2017 Merc will be world champion, as above Williams (and other teams know this) its mostly about the car.

Lets see nick, tbh 2016 was interesting to me as Hamilton didn’t win. Watching him win every race by miles having qualified P1 holds no interest for me, I should say in all honesty I didn’t watch a single whole GP live on TV this year or go to a race – it wasn’t a compelling season.

pondo

Williams was notorious for treating a championship winner like crap. He called drivers lightbulbs; you just change them for a new one

Williams were dropped in it by Alan Jones when he retired at the end of ’81 without notice and too late in the day for them to get an established name. That was when, Williams said, drivers just became employees.

vinnyeh

What about Hamilton’s terrible starts ? Had the Merc not been such a dominant car he’d have been far behind in the Championship.

Australia, Hamilton starts from pole, 6th at end of first lap, ends up second to winner Rosberg.
    Bahrein, Hamilton starts from pole, 7th at end of first lap, ends up third to winner Rosberg.
    Italy, Hamilton starts from pole, 6th at end of first lap, ends up second to winner Rosberg.

ergo, Hamilton’s poor starts cost him the title.

Interestingly, this year only 3 fastest laps for Hamilton in racing.

hora
    Free Member

A one year sabbatical?

slackman99
    Free Member

German company funding a predominantly British based and developed team ( IIRC, the PU’s are Ilmor?)

PU’s are from Mercedes AMG HPP. Used to be Ilmor, but now a Mercedes company that do other development work for Mercedes.

the-muffin-man

Alonso camping out for Monday morning opening!…

shermer75
    Free Member

I reckon either Valtieri Bottas or Pascal Wehrlein

hora
    Free Member

Apparently Lauda took it badly. He thought he’d go for a second title.

Backed the wrong pony there sweetie.

parkesie
    Free Member

It’s a kind of mixed up Lauda v Hunt :). The party boy is multiple champion and committed to more. The hard working clean living family man has won and leaves as his goal is achieved.

aracer
    Free Member

CBA checking the others, but in Italy at least the poor start was mostly the result of another mechanical issue.

Are you sure about that? Where were Nico’s 3 reliability issues? Not even counting Italy I’m seeing 5 for LH, and they certainly weren’t equivalent in impact (there’s no argument at all about that – I can’t even remember Nico having a mechanical problem, they were clearly of such little magnitude).

nickc

re you sure about that? Where were Nico’s 3 reliability issues?

He had brake overheating at Singapore and held off Ricciardo for the win, at Russia he had MGU-K issues that meant the engine was rubbish, the same ‘settings’ issues at Baku that Hamilton had (he managed to fix it faster than LH did), and gearbox issues at Silverstone. That’s just off the top of my head. I think he had some practice and qualifying failures as well.

slowoldman

Does it matter? The championship is won by the driver who scores most points. Reliability, accidents, tactics, etc. are just as much a part of racing as is driving fast.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Tinfoil hats anyone? Ive got mine but it seems the Hamilton fans need to get theirs.
    Agree the championship is over and move on. 2017 is going to be interesting on a driver and car front.

New colours for Mclaren and a new name for Manor?

Kit
    Free Member

No comment on RBR’s new engine manufacturer then?

igm

Bit a a car breaker that Hamilton. If he had some mechanical sympathy like Mr Rosberg he might have won the championship this year. 😉

Just another way of looking at it.

the-muffin-man

No comment on RBR’s new engine manufacturer then?

It’s Renault – just as was this season. Far too late in next year’s cars development stage to change now.

Kit
    Free Member

Woops, yes you’re right, my bad! Was getting confused :/

aracer
    Free Member

Niki is still deluded it seems:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38199637

pondo

aracer –
    Niki is still deluded it seems:

The team won drivers and constructors for the last three years, not easy to improve on that.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not sure you’ve understood what he’s claiming there

jambalaya
    Free Member

What is he saying aracer ?

aracer
    Free Member

He’s saying they had the quickest drivers. Why what else do you think he means by “the quickest driver set-up”?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I translated that into “car” but I confess I am not a close follower of F1.

I do believe I will be proven right that even a mid ranking driver is going to finish 2nd in the Mercedes. I am not sure Hamilton could cope with a top driver regularly challenging / beating him.

wukfit
    Free Member

Just seen this

[video]https://youtu.be/K_IUsIMRH8k[/video]

Maybe his decision shouldn’t have come as such a surprise

Edit: oh that doesn’t seem to work

eddiebaby
    Free Member

That is an excellent clip and both of them come out well from it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I am not sure Hamilton could cope with a top driver regularly challenging / beating him.

Nor the team
    The reality is the car will win the championship so what they need is a Number 1 driver and a back up who will win if No 1 does not

In general, they are all so competitive they cannot be anythign other than tension when your teammate is your only rival as your car is so much better than the rest

shermer75
    Free Member

Agreed that’s an excellent clip, it seems so much more pertinent now in light of Rosberg’s retirement!

the-muffin-man

Not sure if it’s been said already, but my money would be on Wehrlein to Williams and Bottas to Mercedes.

Pascal gets to move up the grid and Bottas brings experience and consistency.

dannybgoode

Rosberg looks utterly broken in that clip, Lewis already focusing on 2017…

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 2,564 total)

The topic ‘F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.