• This topic has 2,563 replies, 197 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,681 through 1,720 (of 2,564 total)
  • F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)
  • legend
    Free Member

the-muffin-man – Member

So what do we think of the Shield then? I’m not offended by how it looks – and a million times better than the Halo – and in some angles it looks pretty cool…

Looks fine, can’t we just call it a windscreen and be done with it yet?

Elsewhere, feedback of “it’s a bit blurry” mean it’s still not likely to catch on yet

retro83
    Free Member

Yeah, not bad. Best of the solutions we’ve seen so far.

Presumably they’d be using some kind of rain-x type coating in case of rain?

aracer
    Free Member

Looks like it ought to improve the aero, so its a win for me (even if it doesn’t actually improve the aero, looking like it will is a positive).

Though it makes me think – is there a lot of wind force on their helmets when going at top speed?

hols2
    Free Member

Though it makes me think – is there a lot of wind force on their helmets when going at top speed?

I don’t think so, as long as they keep their heads upright. They have a headrest and bulkhead behind them. There will be a high pressure area ahead of that bulkhead, the air has to flow around that so the driver’s head will be in a pocket of undisturbed air. If they let their heads roll off to the side, I believe they get buffeting. I think that can be a problem if their neck muscles get tired because their head rolls over and gets buffeted, increasing the load on their neck muscles, causing a downward spiral of fatigue.

thepurist

From the trackside the shield might as well be a full canopy as you spend far more time with an oblique view of the car rather than full side on which is about the only angle where it’s obvious that there’s nothing around the driver.

Though if it was good enough for batman…

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep, that shield looks good to me! Especially if it saves a life!

P20

Looks way better than the halo,but I wonder if it will provide problems in the wet?
    Cracking day here at silverstone today :mrgreen:

igm

The tear-offs are going to be huge on that shield

simondbarnes

Vettel only did a lap with it then asked for it to be removed as it made him dizzy.

Marge
    Free Member

Silverstone was indeed great. Trying not to be too smug with the paddock club tickets that we received from a friends friend (but probably failing)
    12yr old son was absolutely loving it. Stood next to Coulthard and Hill 🙂
    Hill is almost as grey as me ;-(

God I miss the noise of the n.a. cars.
    Interesting that the Honda sounds really quite different to the other cars.

aracer
    Free Member

Presumably it makes it harder for him to judge his sideswipes?

igm

Handbags

legend
    Free Member

igm – Member
    The tear-offs are going to be huge on that shield

Smaller than the ones the use at Le Mans

I read it was 3 installation laps rather than 1, which would be more like it (but he still didn’t like it)

simondbarnes

Presumably it makes it harder for him to judge his sideswipes?

🙂

Another 30 place grid penalty for Alonso. Getting rather silly. I wish they would penalise the teams rather than the drivers.

P20

If your at Silverstone tomorrow, make sure you see the Williams anniversary cars on track. The 6 wheeler and my personal all time favourite the FW14b are running!

P20
    johndoh
    Free Member

Wasn’t the six wheeler a Tyrell?

scotroutes

That had four fronts. The Williams had four rears.

legend
    Free Member

mikey74
    Free Member

I stumbled upon the F1 live purely by accident when I headed up to London to see a mate who was over here on business, from Canada.

I didn’t have long as I had to meet my mate, but quickly snapped these:

[/url]F1 Live, London 2017 by Mike Kennedy, on Flickr[/img]

[/url]F1 Live, London, 2017 by Mike Kennedy, on Flickr[/img]

P20

scotroutes – Member
    johndoh » Wasn’t the six wheeler a Tyrell?
    That had four fronts. The Williams had four rears.

That’s the one

crispyrice

I’m at Silverstone and the minute, today was brilliant, especially Alonso in Q1. Looking forward to the race, planning to ride my MTB round the track after 🙂

Do real people actually buy Paddock Club tickets or is it really just corporate hospitality?

hols2
    Free Member

I wish they would penalise the teams rather than the drivers.

I think McHonda have penalized themselves about as much as is possible, hard to see what more the authorities could pile on top of that.

simondbarnes

I think McHonda have penalized themselves about as much as is possible, hard to see what more the authorities could pile on top of that.

Good point, although with the amount of components they’ve used they’d be pretty much guaranteed to be last in the constructors championship rather than being able to change a load of components this weekend to give them a chance in Hungary to possibly overtake Sauber.

hols2
    Free Member
    Pook

That verstappen vettel battle was excellent

aracer
    Free Member

It wouldn’t be an F1 race without Vettel moaning about another driver driving in a perfectly legal way

shermer75
    Free Member

Haha exactly!! 🙂

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It’s not the same without Martin Brundle on Sky

🙁

shermer75
    Free Member

Has he left Sky? He was really good when he was on BBC

simondbarnes

Poor Kimi

simondbarnes

But he gets some luck as Vettel has gone pop too 🙂

Daffy

He was taken ill just before the start.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Has he left Sky?

Taken to the medical centre before the pitwalk.

Great end to the race, though.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I enjoyed that one. I like Hamilton’s attitude and determination a lot but still cringe whenever he speaks 🙂 always been a Raikkonen fan and Bottas seems quite similar. Max is great, especially when he’s working it up Vettel, who seems to be becoming quite the **** as he gets older. For a start to finish lead that was a good race.

shermer75
    Free Member

Another great race. Really enjoying this season! Gald to see my earlier worries about there being no overtaking because of the new aero regs have proved to be wrong 🙂

thepurist

Just think what it would’ve been like if pirelli hadn’t gone quite so safe on the tyres – bodes well for next year (unless you’re kimi or seb ;))

Klunk
    Free Member

I remember when doing an event at silverstone the tarmac was the coarsest stuff I’ve ever seen more like coral than tarmac.

the-muffin-man

Halo all set for 2018 introduction (despite 9 out of 10 teams against it)…

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/strategy-group-halo-shield-decision-932802/

…laughable they are sticking this monstrosity on the cars and banning T-wings and shark fins on aesthetic grounds! 😐

F1 cars won’t be the same again. Why not stick ruddy great rubber bumpers on them while they are at it.

STATO
    Free Member

Given how much contact there seems to have been this year i dont see how you can argue against the Halo, its unfortunate it looks ridiculous but it wont take long for it to just be accepted or even improved on.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,681 through 1,720 (of 2,564 total)

The topic ‘F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.