• This topic has 2,563 replies, 197 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 2,564 total)
  • F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)
  • thepurist

I think we can expect far more in season development this year than for the last few – the stupid token system is binned so pu development is allowed, there are new tyres to master and a new set of aero regs to finesse. I think the scope for loopholes will be reduced compared to the double diffuser /F duct eras but I’m hoping that one of the midfielders has come up with something unexpected.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

With the rules so aero based we’re hoping that RBR can close the gap even more than last year and win a few more races. Also with in season engine upgrades without the token system they maybe larger in season steps

slowoldman

Sadly I feel a Hamilton winning bore-fest might be on the cards

It will be interesting to see how quickly Valteri settles in.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

all depends if hamilton has first dibs on his pit crew. As the man with acid reflux once said. ” still I rise”

hols2
    Free Member

Doing away with the token system means that Renault and Honda can completely scrap their old engines and start from a clean sheet of paper. Mercedes have much less to gain, so the other engines should be much closer. The Red Bull and Torro Rosso cars were both very good last year, let down by underperforming engines. If Renault can produce a good engine, Red Bull should be title contenders and Torro Rosso might surprise. The McHondas seemed to be about 4th or 5th best team by the end of last year despite the worst engine. If Honda produce a competitive engine, I expect McHonda to be fighting with Ferrari for 3rd in the championship. Ron Dennis may be gone, but McLaren have a very strong technical department and don’t seem to be in disarray like Ferrari, so they should be able to produce a decent car. Force India and Williams are hard to predict. They won’t have the resources to keep developing their cars like the richer teams, so it will be important for them to be competitive at the start. I expect Torro Rosso, Williams, and Force India to be fighting for 5th through 7th in the teams championship.

Hamiltion seems a bit mentally fragile. When things go well, he is breathtakingly fast, but he seems to lose focus easily. It will be important for him to dominate Bottas from the start, otherwise I suspect he will go back to tantrums and sulking. Bottas’ early performances with Williams were very impressive, so I suspect he will be much tougher than many Hamilton fans assume. Alonso and Ricciardo both seem to be mentally much tougher than Hamilton. They both have to cope with fast teammates, but I don’t think they will suffer the slumps that Hamilton seems to suffer from. Hamilton has got to be favorite for the title, but I expect Bottas, both Red Bull drivers, and possibly Alonso to win races and challenge for the title.

nickc

Doing away with the token system means that Renault and Honda can completely scrap their old engines and start from a clean sheet of paper.

There’s about 4 things Honda need to be better at

1. the packaging
    2. the turbo (the main issue; they’ve probably fixed)
    3. the hybrid unit power delivery
    4. Fuel efficiency

It would be daft to throw it all away, when all the bad points lead from 1 (Ron’s need to have a really small engine to fit in the chassis, which also wasn’y allowed to be modified) , 2 is pretty easily solved, and that does away with 3 and 4

Renault’s woes were centred around the HPU, and rather than give up all their tokens on a duff engine, they threw in their lot to produce a better version of it for this year. They apparently reckoned they need to find 35kw from it, (about 47bhp). so not a massive hill to climb

cp

Doing away with the token system means that Renault and Honda can completely scrap their old engines and start from a clean sheet of paper. Mercedes have much less to gain, so the other engines should be much closer.

Maybe, but Merc have also had far longer to refine their design than the others. Hell, they may even have developed a brand new super-engine… it’s not just the others who will benefit from the removal of the token system. It would require Honda and Renault to come up with something very special to have half a chance of challenging Merc.

Alonso and Ricciardo both seem to be mentally much tougher than Hamilton

Ricciardo definitely, but I’d put Alonso on a similar footing to Hamilton ref. mental fragility.

Agreed on Bottas though – he’s a classy driver. I really really hope he does well.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Are we writing off Vettel and Kimi? Both fast on their day and similar. With a reasonable car they should be up there. Although no major replacement for Allison it remains to be seen if the department can step up.

I quite liked the Effing and Jeffing by Vettel. We need more radio commentary when the races are processional.

the-muffin-man

Are we writing off Vettel and Kimi?

I think we are writing off Ferrari. Podiums at best again for them, they seem to have got stuck in a mediocre cycle of thinking they are great but not delivering.

hols2
    Free Member

With a reasonable car they should be up there.

Last I heard, they both drive for Ferrari, the team that sacked its technical director last year as part of yet another redisorganization. I think they will struggle to beat McLaren, let alone Mercedes.

aracer
    Free Member

Though I think an upgrade still counts towards the engine allowance for the year, so they won’t be able to have upgrades every race and will have to balance what they do with the need to avoid penalties later in the season.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Ferrari pretty much shot themselves in the foot last season and threw away chances to win with bad strategy calls or erratic driving.

I’m hoping Stoffell gets an opportunity to show his talent and maybe give Alonso some thoughts of retirement. I’m not sure Stroll will shine against Massa. Aside from the 2 there arent any rookies per se.

Everyone else I get the feeling will be going through the motions after the first 5 races.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Honda can completely scrap their old engines and start from a clean sheet of paper.

They started their big comeback with a clean sheet of paper. It didn’t help them at all.

They had the opportunity to look at the best engines in the business and hit the ground running.

Which they spectacularly failed to do.

With all the fuss about McLaren Honda being so emotive, everyone forgot the rubbish “Earthdreams” cobblers they spent a decade trundling around at the back with.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Don’t underestimate Honda, they’ve learnt a bitter lesson in trying to be different. I think the new power unit will be a Merc copy.

That said, have Merc got a super motor developed? Something which goes up to 12 with ease compared to everybody else’s will it go pop 9.5.

We can pontificate all we want but until that flag drops in Australia we won’t know.

Klunk
    Free Member

f1 tyres like it warmer the 4 ! who’d have thought it ! 😯

njee20
    Free Member

Possibly trialling running without blankets too. I imagine they were basically like plastic!

bigdaddy

Got to be gutted for the test driver… 1st go in an f1 car, oh actually seb’s just smashed it up, sorry!

shermer75
    Free Member

I reckon RBR and Mercedes are gonna be pretty close! Looking forward to seeing those 4 drivers battling it out at the front 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

a closer fight may well change mercs “let ’em race” policy and be a more traditional main driver and a number 2 team. (so a good start will be even more important to cement the no1 spot)

zokes
    Free Member

Merc can have as many policies as they want, it won’t matter to Hamo

the-muffin-man

Another season propping up the grid for McLaren then!…

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-admits-new-f1-engine-concept-very-high-risk-873576/

…I bet Jenson is in the car in Melbourne when Alonso flounces off. 😀

thepurist

Wlliams the first to break cover

(Pics from Joe Saward’s blog)

beanum

That Williams looks good…

This is on the gif thread, would like to see it slower…

Edit: Found it…
    Vimeo

the-muffin-man

I was a bit meh when the Williams broke cover this morning. Not the ‘wow’ factor I was expecting. May change when we see it from the back 3/4.

F1Fanatic have done a side-by-side analysis…

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/17/compare-williams-new-fw40-with-their-2016-car/

shermer75
    Free Member

To quote Richard III, now is the winter of this testing. Does anyone know if the testing is gonna be shown on telly?

the-muffin-man

Sauber launched…

…they desperately need a new colouring-in person!

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2017/02/20/pictures-sauber-reveals-first-images-of-its-2017-car/

Interesting roll-hoop detail.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

call for Binners! (or Jamie).

the-muffin-man

Does anyone know if the testing is gonna be shown on telly?

Sky usually do a 30 min report show at the end of each day.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Had a quick flick through the Sky planner but couldn’t find anything. Happy to be corrected though!

the-muffin-man

It may be titled Ted’s Notebook

shermer75
    Free Member

Another season propping up the grid for McLaren then!…

Or the risk will pay off and they will be smashing it on the front row! That would be amazing 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Haven’t got Sky unforts…

shermer75
    Free Member

Sauber launched…

Not sure about that big gin stretching back from the air intake! Looks very awkward!

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Looking forward to Mercs new ‘boat’ as Hamilton puts it.

shermer75
    Free Member

Technical director Jorg Zander explained the decision to use a year-old engine, saying it is “a tried and tested system with higher durability to begin with.”

“Being able to get started early and defining the engine environment was an advantage because the team was familiar with the engine and the transmission as well as the cooling requirements the engine entailed.”

Listing every reason apart from the actual one there- that it is cheaper! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

Looking forward to Mercs new ‘boat’ as Hamilton puts it.

Where was that?

thepurist

Lots of websites do a live text coverage of testing, usually with pix of any interesting bits seen on the cars. Probably gives a better understanding of what’s going on than Kravtiz’s ‘infotainment’

shermer75
    Free Member

Ted Kravitz lol used to actually quite like him when he was on the beeb

aracer
    Free Member

Flat-out through Copse? 😯 Not so much wow in itself, but that will be flat-out all the way from Luffield to at least Maggots 2 – though given that’s only a slight lift at present I’m guessing that might be flat too which would make Becketts the only (slight) braking between Luffield and Stowe. So well over half the circuit almost all full throttle in one chunk. Could be interesting in terms of stresses on the car (and will the brakes be a bit cold by Stowe?)

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 2,564 total)

The topic ‘F1 2017 (Bound to contain spoilers!)’ is closed to new replies.