Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • external hard drives
  • fontmoss
    Free Member

Recommendations? Just changed internal hd to 500gb and have an external 500gb but it’s partitioned and thought rather than reformat it i’d get another drive and then move stuff about a bit. So looking for 500gb/1tb not too much cash doesn’t need to be mobile

had seen these http://www.johnlewis.com/231041389/Product.aspx

and http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TX975ZM/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MTM4Mjk3Mjc

(which is cheaper from john lewis)

any good sites/shops worth a look also appreciated as need a 22 or 24″ monitor for my gf soon

gazza100

I picked a Seagate 1tb hard drive from Maplin for £70. The 500gb wasn’t much less.

fontmoss
    Free Member

that sounds good, ta

cranberry
    Free Member

The connection method is probably more important than the make of the enclosure or the drive inside – that dictates how long you will be sat around waiting for data to transfer.

USB2 – slowest, probably cheapest
    ESATA – much quicker, might now be pretty standard on drives. Recent PCs should have a ESATA port built in.
    USB3 – new, fast, you’ll need to put an adapter card in your PC ( if it’s more than a few months old )

Single_tracker
    Free Member

I’ve recently had need to buy a couple of those Seagate GoFlex drives.

Local Maplin had a sale on so got the drives for what I thought was a sensible price.

All working good so far.

🙂

sharkbait
    Free Member

Just bought a 1tb Verbatim ext USb from Scan.co.uk for £44 + VAT.

doc_blues
    Free Member

1tb wd drives about £45 in PC wold

I have just picked up an icy box e-SATA case (about £25) and a 2TB samsung drive (these I like) for £77 – much better than USB2, but obviously need eSATA connector installed on machine – they were from Amazon btw

fontmoss
    Free Member

ok might have a look at firewire connected drives

Cougar

ASDA Living are (were?) doing 1Tb LaCie drives for £30, I believe.

I’d avoid Seagate at the moment, their reliability and support both seem to have gone through the floor of late.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘external hard drives’ is closed to new replies.